WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found my old DW6600 in an old shoe box a couple of days ago. I got it from my parents approx 20 years ago, I was just about to recycle it when I got the idea to replace the battery.

I did and it started. Now what shall I do with it. Shall I keep it as it is with all its "patina" or start hunting parts?

The lugs are broken on one side, strap is glued to the watch. The bezel and strap is in very bad condition and the illumination button is missing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Pick up a 6900 bezel and strap combo on ebay (they are the same as the 6600). And I think they have light buttons available, too.

Edit: the broken lugs might be a problem, though... :-(

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The light button is on the case. And not included in the bezel.

I have located a new case and bezel. But is it worth spending 100+USD on an old watch like this?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Light button is held in by a cir-clip. Replacement 6900 buttons should work. Is it worth the cost? Wouldn't be to me, but if your parents gave it to you, maybe there's some sentimental value there? 6600's ARE nice watches, what with the Target Time stuff and all. Worn by Keifer Sutherland second season of 24, don'tcha know. :-d

·
Registered
20,563 Posts
I have located a new case and bezel. But is it worth spending 100+USD on an old watch like this?

There are some DW 6600 in good condition on the bay for ~$100, unless this watch has something special to you, I don't think it's worth spending $100 on it.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Wow! You put that baby through hell - and it is still working for you! Gotta love these Gs!
I would not part with that one for anything! I had one and let it go and am very sorry I did!
Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
There's a lot to love with this beauty. The alarm sound is much louder than modern watches (can actually wake you up!), the case back is thicker and the backlight is one of the brightest that Casio ever made - I believe that Sjors once said you could read the newspaper at night by it. I recently got one & had to buy a new bezel off the bay for $8.00. I'm using strap adaptors & wearing it on a Zulu strap & I have to say that it's one of my favorites. Oh yeah, the numbers are much more legible & easier to read for us that getting a little older. What's not to love?

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's a lot to love with this beauty. The alarm sound is much louder than modern watches (can actually wake you up!), the case back is thicker and the backlight is one of the brightest that Casio ever made - I believe that Sjors once said you could read the newspaper at night by it. I recently got one & had to buy a new bezel off the bay for $8.00. I'm using strap adaptors & wearing it on a Zulu strap & I have to say that it's one of my favorites. Oh yeah, the numbers are much more legible & easier to read for us that getting a little older. What's not to love?
I remember using this as a flashlight when I was younger. Me my cousin was building a tree house many years ago, i work quite late in the evening an it was getting so dark that we could´t see the nails. Then I also used this watch as light.

The watch has a sentimental value to me so I prefer to spend $100 on spare parts rather then buying another watch for the same amount. And for for theese $100(which is the same as the price for a brand new G9000) I get new case, new bezel and new strap. So that will more or less make the watch as new.

But i have been thinking during the day if I should make a new case from aluminum instead. And only by the Bezel. And then use a ZULU-strap. If I make the case myself i can at least have 20mm lugs, So i will not need any adapters for the Strap.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
U're lucky. My DW-6600's dead with discolored screen and both bezel and strap have rotted and broken away.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Instead of buying the parts separately you can just buy a dw6900 and take the module from your 6600 and place it inside, that will fix all the problems.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Crater: Yes I have read you thread. I think it will be something like that i will do.

Woodt3: I think that there is to much details separating the DW6900 from my 6600. I have found a Case with Bezel for $40 plus shipping. So I think I will start up there, If not full filling my plans with Aluminum Case

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am thinking a bit of inverting the LCD, Is that a good idea?

And what is the thing with the big red G in the background of the screen? Which watches has it? Mine doesn't.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Crater: Yes I have read you thread. I think it will be something like that i will do.

Woodt3: I think that there is to much details separating the DW6900 from my 6600. I have found a Case with Bezel for $40 plus shipping. So I think I will start up there, If not full filling my plans with Aluminum Case
They are the same case and bezel. I am currently wearing my DW6600 module in a 6900 case, you just remove the "dial" from both and swap them.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
They are the same case and bezel. I am currently wearing my DW6600 module in a 6900 case, you just remove the "dial" from both and swap them.
Wow -- I stumbled across the right thread at the right time, having recently acquired a gently used DW6600. I'd been worrying about "resin rot" and wondered where to get a replacement bezel -- after reading this thread I just looked at PacPart's site and they have the same part number listed for bezels for the DW6600 and 6900! ("Not in stock," part # 91041955661, $6.34 each.) Useful information to know -- thanks! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts