WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The shock of finally getting my Oris, after waiting for several weeks, may be the reason I forgot most of the stuff the sales person told me regarding the operation of the watch.

The first question is I was told never to change the date from 4 am until 8 am because it could cause permadent damage to the watch.
I am assuming that would only be relative if the watch is still working?

Next stupid question,

To wind the watch, you unscrew the crown and turn to wind or unscrew and pull to the first click position to wind?

The Jeweler also said to always turn the crown in one direction, clockwise and towards the 12 oclock position, never the opposite direction, although the manual directs in both directions?

Thanks

·
Registered
317 Posts
Which model do you have?

And pics!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the Diver Date with a SS bezel and band. I will post some picks but too tired & lazy tonight to do so!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Don't change the date between 8-9pm and 3-4am not 4am-8am, and that's the time showing on the watch not the 'actual' time, running or not it doesn't matter, reason being that the date change mechanism gears may already be engaged between those hours and using the quick set date at that point could cause damage. It is standard practice to only adjust the time by moving the hands in a clockwise direction (forward) but it's not the end of the world if you do wind them backwards.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't change the date between 8-9pm and 3-4am not 4am-8am, and that's the time showing on the watch not the 'actual' time, running or not it doesn't matter, reason being that the date change mechanism gears may already be engaged between those hours and using the quick set date at that point could cause damage. It is standard practice to only adjust the time by moving the hands in a clockwise direction (forward) but it's not the end of the world if you do wind them backwards.
Thanks for the reply, it is very helpful since the Jeweler did not make it clear. I was driving home wondering what she meant and now you have explained never to change the date when the watch is at 8 to later, to about 12 regardless of the am or pm since there is no way of knowing if the watch thinks it's am or pm, correct?

Thanks again for the reply!

·
Premium Member
61,583 Posts
Fitzer was spot on with the advice. The 'danger' period for setting the date using the quickset method is between about 9pm and 3am ish - I say ish because movements vary but it's generally best to avoid these times. Your watch will only get power if you wind it in a clockwise direction. A counter clockwise turn and you just engage a ratchet and put no power into the watch. Because it's an auto watch and not intended to be wound these little ratchets have a reputation as a weak point in the winding mechanism so most owners of autos don't engage it but like Fitzer said the world will not end if you use yours.
The DD has a screw down crown which you will need to unscrew to set the time and date or wind it and then screw up afterwards. It's possible to get the threads on the crown tube cross threaded so just press the crown in ever so gently and then turn it anticlockwise a few degrees before tightening it up clockwise. There's no need to go all Hulk on it - just tighten it gently until it stops.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fitzer was spot on with the advice. The 'danger' period for setting the date using the quickset method is between about 9pm and 3am ish - I say ish because movements vary but it's generally best to avoid these times. Your watch will only get power if you wind it in a clockwise direction. A counter clockwise turn and you just engage a ratchet and put no power into the watch. Because it's an auto watch and not intended to be wound these little ratchets have a reputation as a weak point in the winding mechanism so most owners of autos don't engage it but like Fitzer said the world will not end if you use yours.
The DD has a screw down crown which you will need to unscrew to set the time and date or wind it and then screw up afterwards. It's possible to get the threads on the crown tube cross threaded so just press the crown in ever so gently and then turn it anticlockwise a few degrees before tightening it up clockwise. There's no need to go all Hulk on it - just tighten it gently until it stops.
Unless I misinturpreted, which I may have, you are saying it is not really good for the watch to wind it?

Just want to be sure to understand so I can be sure it gets the best possible care. I have 2 Seiko dive watches and there is no winding involved.
Thanks for the comment regarding the crown. I do have big hands and could very easily over muscle the crown. Thanks!

·
1,261 Posts
Thanks for the reply, it is very helpful since the Jeweler did not make it clear. I was driving home wondering what she meant and now you have explained never to change the date when the watch is at 8 to later, to about 12 regardless of the am or pm since there is no way of knowing if the watch thinks it's am or pm, correct?

Thanks again for the reply!
I usually advance the time manually until the date changes - then you know the 12 o'clock you just passed was midnight.

Chris

·
Premium Member
61,583 Posts
Auto watches weren't intended to be hand wound so the hand winding mechanism is considered by some to be a "weak point" in the power supply. To avoid placing any undue strain on the mechanism many (my sad self included) wind a watch as little as possible. It's certainly not bad for a watch to wind it it's more of a case of avoiding any potential problems that such an action may cause (if you don't wind it you can't bust it). Whether it's right or not I don't know but a try to wind my divers as little as possible because I don't know how this affects the seals in the crown long term - and I claim not to baby my watches.

·
Premium Member
61,583 Posts
Like I say, I don't baby my watches - much. I set the time to about 6.00 before I change the date so that they're well away from any change-over period.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts