WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know absolutely nothing about the movement of the watch I just bought. It runs according to the seller, which is the only thing he knows about the watch. The dial looks near mint, but what really interested me was the box. I love collecting vintage watches with their box.

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
Boxes from the Helbros end of the market are less likely to survive and are quite rare, especially in this condition. That makes me hope this is not a redial as it looks nice in the pic.

The real test is always in the hand.

Which is an example that allows me to remind folks (not you Emmanuel!) why we don't do valuations here in an online forum...

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Nice little pick up there EG, especially with the box :)

I've not heard much at all about this brand tbh, so it's nice to see something different!!

I think you should do a group shot of your watches at some point, if you can squeeze them all in that is ;-)

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boxes from the Helbros end of the market are less likely to survive and are quite rare, especially in this condition. That makes me hope this is not a redial as it looks nice in the pic.

The real test is always in the hand.

Which is an example that allows me to remind folks (not you Emmanuel!) why we don't do valuations here in an online forum...
The dial looks too exact to be a redial. However, if it is a redial I would venture to say it was expertly done. The watch came from an estate sale where the watches were kept away from sunlight and such. The seller had quite a few watches that looked mint. As you said the real test will be when it is in hand.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice little pick up there EG, especially with the box :)

I've not heard much at all about this brand tbh, so it's nice to see something different!!

I think you should do a group shot of your watches at some point, if you can squeeze them all in that is ;-)
The company was started in 1913, the name actually comes from its founders, the Helbein Brothers. They were Swiss German watchmakers who set out with one goal being to design and manufacture a quality timepiece that could be made affordable to the working public.I think the company is now owned by Jules Jurgensen which in turn is owned by an American Mort Clayman. Hey for $40 I couldn't let a piece of history pass me by.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
You'll find that Helbros is all over the map for quality. They sourced from many different suppliers but also owned a couple of Swiss assembly plants. In a way their business model was similar to todays Invicta. You really will not know what you bought until you open the back.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
You'll find that Helbros is all over the map for quality. They sourced from many different suppliers but also owned a couple of Swiss assembly plants. In a way their business model was similar to todays Invicta. You really will not know what you bought until you open the back.
I'm going to guess that it's a Lorsa P72A

bidfun-db Lorsa_P72A: Lorsa P72A

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I received the watch today. The movement has not been serviced in over 20 years I would guess. It will be going to the shop soon. Also, this is my first watch marked French besides being my first Helbros.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
That looks a lot like a 7 jewel Waltham I got a few months ago.(French Manufacture) It has a snap on back, came with a box too and the face looks very similar to yours. By the way it tells very good time. Enjoy! :-!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a helbros just like this with a gray dial. It's got the original plastic box and cardboard box as well and the price tag is still on the band(which also is the original band as well). The dial and crystal are pristine.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I too bought a Helbros, knowing nothing about the company or the movement. I bought it very! reasonably in mint condition purely for the dial. It looks like an Alexander calder sculpture and is very Mid Century Modern as the design freaks would say. In hand and working well for the last 4-5 months. I dont have the tools to open it . Any body familiar w/ this model. Its one of the few watches I own that actually gets noticed once in a while. Yours is a handsome watch. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
I don't know much about Helbros. A lot are listed on the net as 'Helbros Invincible' - but in so many varieties that it surely wasn't a model name. I suspect that the squiggle under the word 'Invincible' represents a mainspring, and its their way of saying 'unbreakable mainspring'. Others may know better.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
My understanding is that the Invicable was Helbroses' best line. The problem is that with Helbros changing their sourceing frequently, you really don't know what you have, until you open it up and look at the movement.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Nice pick up on the Ferris Wheel. Dial looks original as per my 7J one. Btw the markers are rhinestones.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Helbros had their own stores in many major cities. Thus the wide ranging variety and quality available. An example of a better quality Regency here with 17j Swiss. I have one that is fine diamond dial made for diamond dealer Herzberg. Herzberg on dial but Helbros on good Swiss movement and case.

Attachments

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hi!

That´s also my information. In the 1940s - 1960s, amongst others they sold Rado watches, but completely marked as Helbros - so opening the back doesn´t really bring a result. ;-)
There´s a Helbros version of the famous Rado Satellite:

EDIT: The Youtube-button obviously doesn´t work, so here´s the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkhXzDmxP60&feature=channel_video_title

1 - 18 of 18 Posts