WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Definitely a hefty/heavy watch
Given it's age, it doesn't look that shabby!

I tried it on, and it's very loose

I went to a watch service place in San Francisco, and ask about trimming the bracelet so it fits better, and the answer I get is: can't. I might as well just buy a new bracelet

My question is: any idea if this bracelet can be trimmed so it'll fit better?

Alternatively, what is the bracelet size for this watch? I wonder if I can just buy another strap (leather/nato/what not), and use that instead of the SS

My quick photo album
Omega Speedmaster Professional Mark 4.5 - Imgur

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
She looks great, thanks for the link with the pic :)

I'd go with buying a new braclet with how service centers and people in general are these days they'd probobly screw up the bracelet if you tried to remove something :D

my old Seiko has the same type of bracelet and it nearly got butchered when I went to the shop to get it sized, caught it just in time to avert huge damage to it.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Congrats

Always liked the 4.5. Love the Aeroplane hand for the chrono minute counter and the day date design. It has on board the legendary Lemania 5100 movement which is one of the best automatic chrono movements made.

As for the bracelet I am sure they can remove some links as it looks to be a 1162. Unless your wrist is stupidly small. This watch also looks great on the Omega mesh which could be another option

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Judging from the pictures you should be able to remove a full link from the bracelet and then use the micro-adjustments on the clasp to fine tune the fit. If that doesn't work then you're looking at replacing the bracelet/strap.

For finding the lug width I would start with a google search.

Edit: quick search results show 22mm for the lug size.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=21262

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As for the bracelet I am sure they can remove some links as it looks to be a 1162. Unless your wrist is stupidly small. This watch also looks great on the Omega mesh which could be another option
You know, my wrist is stupidly small (at least from my perspective) :)

The bracelet is about 7.8 inches end to end

I can easily slip my index finger into the bracelet's empty space, and move around...

also, the watch is so loose that watch face can flip to bottom of my hand with normal arm motion...

Now that mash bracelet is nice

Technically I can put any 22mm bracelet/strap onto this watch?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reasons I go for this watch
  1. Lemania 5100 (my primary reason)
  2. Day/Date
  3. Airplane Hand

After wearing my dad's feather light Rolex Date, putting on this speedy is a good workout for my wrist :)

The service center I visited told me they can't relum the watch. The only option to bring back the luminosity is put in new dial/hand
Is the service center correct?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gorgeous watch! Still has the case grain. Do you know if it was restored or is it original?
Sorry for the dumb question: but what is case grain :)

I didn't ask the seller, so don't know if it's restored or original...

I will try ask and see if s/he knows

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
You know, my wrist is stupidly small (at least from my perspective) :)

The bracelet is about 7.8 inches end to end

I can easily slip my index finger into the bracelet's empty space, and move around...

also, the watch is so loose that watch face can flip to bottom of my hand with normal arm motion...

Now that mash bracelet is nice

Technically I can put any 22mm bracelet/strap onto this watch?
Kind of, you still have to ensure the curved ends of the bracelet will mirror the curavture of the case. This is easier said than done and where I would have to default to those who know more about your model than I.

That said, typically mesh bracelets don't have curved ends so here you could use any mesh bracelet you wanted with a 22mm lug. Same goes for straps, no end links so no problem.

My daughter's nap time(s) = my WUS time.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I own and love the 4.5. Such a fantastic watch. Wear yours in good health.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Nice pickup for your first Omega. The Mark 4.5 is one of my favorites.Big chunk of metal work and a very legible dial. Love the centre chrono hand for ease of reading the elapsed minutes. The cal 1045 is a work horse. That's not to say I wouldn't love to get a 3570.50 on my wrist... funds, renovations, school fees, wife permitting etc. I'm still after a cal 1040 Seamaster or Speedy at the right price and condition as well. Sigh..will the sickness never end.
Must be a year since we've seen a cal 1045 on the forum
Been a long time since I've posted..I'm getting the watch buying itch again...darn this forum
Congrats again.
Forgot to mention that the 1162 is comfortable and with the extra links taken off should fit down to a skinny 6.75 inch wrist fine

·
Registered
6,791 Posts
Congrats on your new-to-you Speedmaster Professional Mark 4.5!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Forgot to mention that the 1162 is comfortable and with the extra links taken off should fit down to a skinny 6.75 inch wrist fine
Thanks
Can I say that any competent watch maker should be able to shorten that 1162 bracelet?
The one I approached earlier today pretty much said it can't be done...

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
OK

In regard to your queries

Starburst is the finish applied to the top of the case. It was used on a lot of Omega's in the 70's but it is hard to find on with it still intact.

I would post photo's of the watch so we can see how bad it is but part of the attraction of a vintage watch is keeping it with the original dial / hands etc. Unless the dial is destroyed I would not change it. Some places can actually relume the dial (I think Swiss Time Services in London does it) but I would not bother personally.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Sorry bud, that watchmaker gave you a lazy answer. It can be shortened, but it's a little tricky to get the fit right because of the taper of the bracelet. But it can be done, it just involves some patience and work

That is an awesome 4.5, the case looks very clean! I wouldn't change the hands, dial, or re-lume it. Keep this baby original :-!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK

In regard to your queries

Starburst is the finish applied to the top of the case. It was used on a lot of Omega's in the 70's but it is hard to find on with it still intact.

I would post photo's of the watch so we can see how bad it is but part of the attraction of a vintage watch is keeping it with the original dial / hands etc. Unless the dial is destroyed I would not change it. Some places can actually relume the dial (I think Swiss Time Services in London does it) but I would not bother personally.
Here's my small photo album link

Omega Speedmaster Professional Mark 4.5 - Imgur

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry bud, that watchmaker gave you a lazy answer. It can be shortened, but it's a little tricky to get the fit right because of the taper of the bracelet. But it can be done, it just involves some patience and work

That is an awesome 4.5, the case looks very clean! I wouldn't change the hands, dial, or re-lume it. Keep this baby original :-!
That's my initial gut feel when I heard it myself
I am a newbie, so it may seem difficult for me
They are supposedly a professional/expert
If they can service a watch's movement, fixing bracelet link should be a walk in the park...
But oh well, I don't think I find a lot of reputable Omega watch maker in San Francisco (not that the one I approach is very famous...)

I will likely keep everything intact, and just keep servicing it

BTW, what's the recommend service internal for this speedy?

Final thought: the one thing I wish for this speedy is to be in the moonwatch case :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nice watch....One question and sorry if this was already covered but I searched the thread and did not see anything. If this is a Speedmaster pro mark 4.5 why does the back cover say Seamaster?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts