WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted to get a pocket watch for a while but it wasn't a top priority. I'm on vacation and the Wife and I were hitting the antique shops (I like buying and restoring old hand tools and she likes, well buying antiques) I came across this Elgin for $80.00 and figured I could swing that. It winds and has been running so I'm happy. I will pop the back off when I get home to get the serial number to date it. If any one more knowledgeable than me on pocket watches (basically everyone here) wants to throw a guess I would love to hear it.

Attachments

Reactions: busmatt and SilkeN

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Well, when you get home, you will have all the info wanted, not just the production date. I would guess first quarter of the 20th century.

Go here, put in the serial number and choose Elgin:

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/

In the meantime, enjoy your vacation.

PS: Do not overeagerly try to pry open the back, it could be a srew on/off type.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, when you get home, you will have all the info wanted, not just the production date. I would guess first quarter of the 20th century.

Go here, put in the serial number and choose Elgin:

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/

In the meantime, enjoy your vacation.

PS: Do not overeagerly try to pry open the back, it could be a srew on/off type.
Thanks for the info Border-Reiver.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Pictures please. If you don't know how to open the case more pics and look carefully for clues, screw back or hinge back. Looks like a nice piece. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bernietech, I'm not new to watchuseek just pocket watches but either way while on vacation I did look up how to open the cases. I have a threaded front and back and managed to remove the back with no damage. According to the database it is a 1924 313 grade 16s 15 jewel movement. I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Attachments

Reactions: Border-Reiver

·
Registered
43 Posts
I love Elgin pocket watches and I have a lot of them. They are great to collect
for many reasons. Parts(or part movements) are readily available to fix them which is a good thing.
They are well made, and look good to and keep great time when serviced.
There are many different movement configurations
over the many years they were in existence. Plus they come in all sizes.
From key wind ones from the 1860's and 1870's to the early 1880's
to the stem wind ones.

Enjoy your watch!!!

Reactions: GeneJockey
1 - 8 of 8 Posts