WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi! I am new to the world of watches and have started learning basic repair techniques etc in order to clean up some old watches.
I would like to know if this watch (see images) would have much value if restored. And if it would be worth having the watch restored. It is an Avia swiss made 15 jewel manual wind movement. Without original strap.

As you can see in the pictures there is a crack in the crystal, seconds hand is missing and the face shows signs of ageing. As for the movement, I bought this originally as an educational project and am still in the process of putting it back together. It was fully functioning before it reached me so I will hopefully have it running again soon!
View attachment 1147909
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks

·
Registered
18,234 Posts
The first watch any watchmaker works in is almost always destroyed. Buy some cheap movements and hone your skills on those. It would be a shame to destroy this watch. It is too nice.

Reactions: callumr123

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
20,246 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The watch is in decent ocondition - I have certainly seen a lot worse than that. You just need a new crystal (which is frequently the case in older watches anyway) and a new seconds hand. The dial looks rather good from here, rather better than many of that age (1950s).

The watch has an Adolf Schild Cal. 984 or derivative:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: AS 984

...so it is realistically not worth doing up, at least not if you are looking for a profit after selling it. Doing it up yourself to sell (or wear) it won't work - experience has shown that almost everyone trashes their first few watches. It's unfortunately part of the learning process. On the one hand, the watch is mundane enough to say: it isn't really worth too much so you can sacrifice it. On the other hand, there are a lot more that are even more mundane, in worse cosmetic condition and therefore make better practicing material. My advice is: keep it stored, turn to pin lever watches and learn on those first.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Welcome
I have been studying Horology some 10 yrs, but only last year learned how to very basically repair (clean/service) a watch.
I NEVER attempt to do anything to any piece that i 'love'
Only on pcs you will not cry if you make an error.

Regards

Reactions: Eeeb

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
£10 is a good price for some minor work, if you are thinking of buying and selling though I wouldnt of bothered taking the movement apart I would of just changed the crystal and the hand. But if you are thinking of keeping it then worth doing up also good practice work esp at that price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.