WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read up a bit in the brands of Russian watches and a bit of the history, through the links provided in the forum and some online sites. Right now I'm not much of a watch collector yet, owning only a Marathon Pilot Navigator with a sterile dial:

I'm using this one as a daily, but I think the case is a bit small for my wrist, and I don't like the plexiglass (it's starting to wear quite fast, although I polish it every now and then with toothpaste).

I've looked into German watches, and I really like the Stowa's, but still a bit out-of-budget for me. So I started looking at Russian watches, liked what I saw, and started to look for some I would like.

Big turn-offs: gold, I'm too young for that (23), and the clear big logo's like the Vostok KGB watches.

Right now I'm looking at a budget of ~350$, stretchable if I like it a lot. Automatic is preferred, but I think that with my budget manuals are more realistic :)
I've found 3 watches I really like:

Volmax Aviator 10 (Poljot 2623 movement)

I like 24H a lot, and the style, but I think the English text is a shame.

Poljot Traveller 24H (also Poljot 2623 movement)

Again a nice watch, again English text

Poljot Albatros (Poljot 3133 movement, same as a maktime?)

Very nice watch, but I think the Chrono makes it a bit crowded (I don't really like chrono's). The backside of this one has big english text, which is a downside, but not a huge one.

Now, the two 24H watches are very much within budget (~280$), the Albatros is a bit out at ~430$.

What do you think about these watches, are they good Russian watches to start with? Do you have any other suggestions that might be to my liking?

This is my first post on WUS, I read the rules, and I think this post complies with them :)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
As a watch alone, the Albatros is very nice. What I don't like is the Breitling-like style. If it looks like that, let's be Breitling :) The Traveller-5 is nice and original.
A very nice offers are coming from MakTime - the aviator chrono and especially the chronograph from this tread. Both inside your budget.
If you like the BUhr style, and Stowa is above your budget, why don't you take a look at Laco. They have 198EUR automatic BUhr with Miyota 815.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Sci,

For a while Laco used Vostok movements, if I remember correctly; that would be quite nice too, I reckon.

·
Registered
32 Posts
+1 for any 3133 powered chrono. They need to be regulated out of the box, but a great bang for the buck. Lots of good deals on the bay. The Russian Vostoks are the bees knees, IMO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies!
I see that you are all very enthusiastic about the 3133 movement. I've been looking at some, and I think I have to drop the 24H watches because I just can't really find one that I like in my price class. The closest 24H that I like is this sturmanskie:

But I don't like the English "Travellers Watch" at the bottom of the dial, and not much is said online about the 2623 movement.
So I looked at more 3133 movement watches, and I found one I really like, and think I'm going to buy:

It's another Volmax Aviator, but with Russian text and in an oversized case (45mm) which fits my wrist better.
Also, it's in budget at 350$ :) Maybe I'll put it on a grey NATO band.

Also this Aviator which has a cleaner dial attracts me

Comments appreciated

·
Registered
32 Posts
All great choices from what I have experienced and read-you will not regret any of those. Personally, I use my Sthurmie as a dress watch and Komandirskie as the "worker". Whatever you choose, get something with a screw down back.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Ahh, shame on me. Of course - Vostok. What about this (all Russian + GMT):

Btw, Seele, I didn't knew about Laco/Vostok link. Quite interesting :)

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Sci,

There are a few threads at the Laco forum on those, IIRC.

For the OP, I think the Aviator B-Uhr homage would be a good choice, as simple and legible as can be, although stylistically it is not at all Russian at heart. Come to think of it, if I were to get one I'd get an example by an original manufacturer such as Laco or Stowa or even Tutima. But then I doubt if they're really up to the performance specifications needed for a real pilot's watch, but just for the looks only. In that case, going cheap by getting a Parnis (or some unpronounceable eBay brand) might be just as valid!

So I think your suggestion for a New Komandirskie has merits, and its price is very sensible too.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
K-34 Komandirskie is a great choice i have the following but i have recently discovered another version that is amazing!!!

my 3133 Poljot Ruslan has quite the same case as the albatros,
i don't like to think of it as let's be Breitling but as Let's be Ruslan !

Attachments

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
timanthes, I don't want to offend anyone by that. Of course, both Albatros and Ruslan have enough own face to distinguish them from Breitling. The same applies to Aviator-1 model, which is influenced by Fortis, Kirova chrono by Tutima, etc, etc.
As the tread suggests own opinions - I am sharing how I start with the Russian watches. I was choosing my first Russian watch to be with the most unique Russian character. And it was... Amphibia with Komandirskie dial. Later watches I obtain didn't exclude Russian homages at all :)

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
As far as I know, Ruslan was one of the splinter groups formed after Poljot caved in, and at the time they believed they had the rights to use the Poljot name... they don't.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
timanthes, I don't want to offend anyone by that. Of course, both Albatros and Ruslan have enough own face to distinguish them from Breitling. The same applies to Aviator-1 model, which is influenced by Fortis, Kirova chrono by Tutima, etc, etc.
As the tread suggests own opinions - I am sharing how I start with the Russian watches. I was choosing my first Russian watch to be with the most unique Russian character. And it was... Amphibia with Komandirskie dial. Later watches I obtain didn't exclude Russian homages at all :)
no worries sci i am not offended...:)
in fact i am about to order the paneraish moscow classic!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ahh, shame on me. Of course - Vostok. What about this (all Russian + GMT):

I saw this watch on Ebay about a month ago and did not get it because I found a Mido All Dial Diver that I had to snag. I have been looking for this watch ever since and I can't find one place that has them in stock. This will be my first Russian and I am sure not my last.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts