WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from a trip to Asia with my wife for our anniversary.. we spent two weeks in Beijing, Koh Samui and Hong Kong

First stop was in Beijing, and our hotel was right next door to the Oriental Plaza mall. Unbelievable watch selection in the neighboorhood, we had a great time browsing a few stores. Had an opportunity to drop in to a Sea-Gull store and try one for the first time, had to say I was very impressed with the overall quality and finish. The prices I found were higher than I would have expected, somewhere in the neighbourhood of CNY3600 (CA$540) after discount for a simple watch with date I was looking at, so I passed

Later in Hong Kong I dropped a Chow Tai Fook jewelry store in Tsim Sha Tsui in the iSQUARE mall. There I tried on a Sea-Gull 819.315 Automatic, for HKD2727 (CA$340) after 10% discount. Really love this watch, timeless good looks, sapphire crystal, transparent caseback, day/month complications, nice detail on the watch face and on the movement, pushers to change the date/day/month, really smooth rotor, two disks for the date, perfect size on my wrist, excellent feel to the winding mechanism, watch is highly legible face-on and in low lighting conditions, leather strap with deployment buckle, and a really nice box the watch comes in. So far the watch has been averaging around +3 sec/day which is exceptional.

Only drawbacks I've found are the deployment buckle can sometimes be finicky and is a bit buliker than I'm used to. Also finding more glare than I'm used to on the crystal. And the power reserve is only 40 hours if I recall. But really these are all minor, I'm used to wearing an IWC Portuguese day to day, but the strap on an IWC costs more than this watch so this is not a fair comparison!

I haven't been able to find any information on this watch as its not listed on Sea-Gull USA's website. Does anyone know what movement this is? Also any recommendations for how to service this watch in a few years time? I would imagine the easiest way would be to ship her to the service centre in Hong Kong?

Kindest Regards,
Portauto

Attachments

Reactions: Ita and sebas0902

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Congratulations on your anniversary and welcome to the Chinese Mechanical Forum. I see by your watch collection in your signature that your Sea-Gull is in good company.

I believe this one has a ST25 movement. I don't have a drawing of this configuration so I don't know the specific variant. Its late so my brain is not working correctly but maybe one of the other guys can remember if this particular variant has been discussed before.

I would use the service center listed on any of the paperwork you may have received with your watch. If you have a trusted watchmaker in your area, you may want to see if he would service it.

cheers,
gigfy

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe this one has a ST25 movement. I don't have a drawing of this configuration so I don't know the specific variant. Its late so my brain is not working correctly but maybe one of the other guys can remember if this particular variant has been discussed before.
Thanks gigfy! I searched Google for the ST25 and came across the Sea-Gull blogspot. Going through all of the different movements, the ST25 Series 2523 would appear to be a perfect match

Kindest Regards,
Portauto

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,411 Posts
Pure class! :-!

It's a mark of self-confidence when a Chinese triple-date has recessed pushers ;-) and Sea-Gull have certainly been showing some confidence recently. The ST25 is by all accounts a good runner; refined and highly accurate. I'd love to see them supply the ebauche to one of the smaller Swiss makers so it could be entered in the Swiss chronometer trials (since they won't allow Asians to compete).

The Sea-Gull must feel kind of light on the wrist after the Portugese.

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,198 Posts
portauto, WELCOME to the Chinese Mechanical Watches forum at WUS!

Your new Sea-Gull is beautiful.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Oh my that's gorgeous!
Congrats and welcome to Chinese Mechanicals.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Sea-Gull must feel kind of light on the wrist after the Portugese.
I'm used to wearing the Portuguese, it's very well balanced on the wrist.. the Sea-Gull has a slightly smaller face, but much thicker than I would have expected (almost the same as the Portuguese). They are almost in the same weight class, the Portuguese is just a touch heavier, even with the pocket-watch sized movement. It looks to me that there is a lot more stainless steel in the casing on the Sea-Gull, so this is probably contributing to the weight

Kindest Regards,
Portauto

·
Registered
101 Posts
I got my Sea-Gull 819.315 off the bay, but cannot figure out if/how set month to move automatically. Can any one help please.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The month does not change automatically IIRC. You have to manually set it with the pusher just below the crown on the right side. You just have to push a ballpoint pen into it and the month will change.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts