WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will start by admitting that I have never before owned or paid attention to a Grand Seiko or anything parallel or above it from that manufacturer. I will admit also to being somewhat sceptical of reports about the extreme high quality of the GS product. Today I took delivery of my Seiko Galante GMT . I am almost speechless. The second I laid eyes on it in the Laski Customs office near Bangkok, where I collected it upon its arrival from Tokyo I was barely able to speak. Fortunately (Or otherwise) I have returned to my apartment in Bangkok and paused to examine the watch more closely and take a few photos and have recovered the power of speech. OK to some it is an ugly pig of a watch. Yes I do get that. But the very important thing for me is that my Swiss watches look Swiss, my German watches have a distinct Teutonic aura. Anything designed in Italy must have that Italian, Latin almost feminine flair, as is the crucial difference between a wonderfully made German sports car and the idiosyncratic wonder of the Italian counterpart. This watch is no clone, it is no wannabe Rolex or wannabe anything. It styling puts me in mind of Japanese art, Japanese cartoons. The feel makes me think of Haiku rather than any western literature. IT is above all other things original and very Japanese. Ok some will never live with that and that's fine. Personally I see the beauty in it because of the totality of its Japaneseness, that and something else. Craft. Craft is also very important to me. The watch is crafted magnificently. The detail finish is outstanding the architecture of the structure is logical and has great beauty from any angle. It is possible at all points in the watch to see a relationship between one aspect and another. As for function it tells the time, the GMT function works well , similarly to a Rolex GMT in operation. It is accurate, very accurate. But I don't care any more about all of that than I do about value for money. If a watch is too expensive, then no-one buys it, if people buy it, then it must be cheap enough, otherwise they wouldn't.
The Galante sits majestically on the wrist . It is big and fat. It is unashamedly Asian, it makes no apology for being so. It makes no stylistic references to anything born outside of its island of creation.
I love it . It is a keeper. If Seiko make more truly Japanese watches and make them as well as this one, i will be looking to own another.

·
Premium Member
40,395 Posts
Re: My first Seiko

I've got to say I'm not a big fan of the alternate Roman numerals but everything else is just awesome. It's a hell of a watch.

Enjoy

·
Registered
3,493 Posts

Congratulations on the new watch. I'll be honest and say the styling isn't really to my liking but it does nevertheless look a very handsome, unusual and finely crafted piece. Like you I appreciate how a watch feels as much as how it looks. I've only recently got into mechanical Seikos and although the two I have so far are at the opposite end of the price scale to the Galante they put a big smile on my face whenever I wear them.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
6,462 Posts

The Galante line isn't my cup of tea, but they are undoubtedly beautiful and well-executed. That one in particular manages to infuse some nice "classical" watch elements into the avant-garde design. Very nice.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts

Seiko certainly gets an A for originality with this one. I have never seen anything quite like it. Not my cup of tea, but very cool regardless.

·
Registered
12,424 Posts

Like the others, I was not familiar with this line. Unlike the others, I think it's gorgeous and original. Congratulations on your new watch!

·
Premium Member
22,046 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts

That is a hell of a Seiko!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts

Congrats on your new watch and well said. I am having a similar conundrum looking for my next watch and your words may have helped firm my decision. All the Swiss chronographs look like, well, Swiss chronographs (as well as German chronographs)... Which are not that different from Swiss-non-chronographs. I am inexplicably drawn to the GS SBGC003 Chronograph, and despite swollen pushers that only a mother could love I cannot get the high-quality and Japanese uniqueness of this watch out of my head. I don't want to love one of the most expensive steel GS watches but I cannot help myself. To me it's overarching design makes it look like a Japanese watch and the quality of the fit and finish say "Grand Seiko". It's so boldly different than the 8 Swiss chronographs I was looking at but could not make up my mind because they were all so similar. Thanks for clarifying what I know I've been thinking.

Reactions: Domo

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

That Galante is a true Japanese exotic! I remember seeing a similar one at the Seiko boutique in Ginza, they are truly well crafted pieces alongside the Credor line. Great post and congratulations on acquiring that one!

·
Registered
4,919 Posts

That dial is stunning. I am crazy for the SARB66 because of the cool Roman numerals but it is much too small. This is perfect but is much too far out of my price range.
Great choice! Wear it in good health!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts

That is a really cool looking Seiko. Definitely not traditional Japanese style but a lot nicer than some of the momonstrosities coming out of Switzerland lately.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts