WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Stowa fans.

I am seriously thinking of adding a Stowa Marine Classic 36mm to my collection. I am particularly taken with the White dial Roman handwind version (not sure about with or without date yet). It looks totally different to anything else in my collection.

Anyway, here is my dilemma.

I would very much like to add a White dial watch as all of my watches are Black, Grey or Blue.
I currently own 10 pieces all of which I am very fond of.

So, although I am reluctant to flip anything I will not be letting the collection exceed 10 pieces and the only one I would reluctantly let go would be the Explorer lookalike Smiths Everest PRS-25.
I'm not sure if anyone here is familiar with the Timefactors Smiths range of watches. It's a lovely looking watch, but I can't keep 'em all!
I have got to the point where I want to enjoy what I have and the more I accrue the less they get worn.
Yes, it's an Explorer homage but Smiths do have a bit if history behind them although the company is now in different ownership.

Can I ask if in your opinion the Stowa is a superior watch?
Would the ETA handwound movement be an upgrade on the Miyota auto in the Smiths (currently running at + 9 spd).
I appreciate that they are two totally different watches, but would you say that the Stowa is the more refined watch with better performance and finish?

I can see that the price point of the Stowa appears to be competitive for what you get and I like the range of options available on the Stowa website.

Please chime in with your opinions all!
Thanks
Mike

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Owning two stowas myself (marine 36 roman, no date, brushed case, and a antea KS rose) i feel I can speak to their quality. They are great watches that sit very nicely in my wrist. The finishing is lovely on both case and movement.

I have only briefly handled the Smiths. And while it impressed me, I see the Stowa as superior with overall better finishing. If this is worth it to you is something you need to decide. Similarly the Smiths fits in a similar category as the Seiko sarb017, very differemt stylistically from the Stowa Marine series.

Two more points: 1. for everyday wear, consider getting the case brushed. 2. Stowa friends highlights people around the world who are happy to show you their Stowa's https://friends.stowa.de/Startseite?Language=en&ClientID=13d148ec-b33e-4f37-a6fc-8f5fdb05335b

Sent from my rotary phone using Crapatalk

·
Registered
560 Posts
Not to intercept the thread, but I don't see a point in starting a new one for this one thing only -- what is the crystal diameter in this model? I see it's essentially all-dial and I'd expect 33-34mm, but I'd be grateful if someone could confirm my guess with an actual measurement. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Not to intercept the thread, but I don't see a point in starting a new one for this one thing only -- what is the crystal diameter in this model? I see it's essentially all-dial and I'd expect 33-34mm, but I'd be grateful if someone could confirm my guess with an actual measurement. Thanks!
You mean the Smiths watch?

30.4mm diameter x 2.5mm thick

https://www.timefactors.com/prs25black.htm

And to the OP, I would prefer the Stowa ETA movement to the Miyota. Stowa makes a solid, quality watch. I've owned a couple of Timefactors watches, they were fines time pieces as well but they were the older Swiss made versions. I don't have any experience with the current Asian made watches.

·
Registered
672 Posts
If i had a collection of 10 watches and wanted a white dial i'd defintely swap the Timefactors for the Stowa. Stowa is great value for what you get. Not saying the Timefactors isn't but to me it's no contest.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information and replies so far.
Very informative and helpful to my decision making process.
Keep them coming!

Can anybody confirm which of the available movements is likely to be the more accurate?

Mike

·
Registered
289 Posts
ETA is a better movement than Miyota. I honestly no longer buy watches with Miyota movements. The rotor is so incredibly loud, a lot of them don't even hack unless modified...

From my experience, Stowa watches are typically in the +/- 3-5 seconds per day, but Stowa officially vouches for +/- 10 seconds per day. Miyota movements are typically less accurate.

·
Registered
28,660 Posts
I have both Stowa and Smith watches. Both are very nice, slightly different in terms of build quality, etc.

I like both very much, but the overall edge would have to go to the Stowa, IMHO.

Just a bit better finished, attention to detail, great wrist presence, etc. That is just my opinion.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have both Stowa and Smith watches. Both are very nice, slightly different in terms of build quality, etc.

I like both very much, but the overall edge would have to go to the Stowa, IMHO.

Just a bit better finished, attention to detail, great wrist presence, etc. That is just my opinion.
Thank you. I have decided to sell the Smiths Everest. I guess that at the end of the day it is a Homage and the link to the original company are now tenuous.
I can see that the Stowa has its own design language and their website and customisation options are impressive.
Thanks all for your friendly guidance.
I will be ordering the Marine Classic once the Smiths is sold.

Mike

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, so the Smiths Everest sold very quickly so I have now decided on the Marine Classic 36 hand wound.
I would probably replace the included leather strap to be honest so am thinking of getting it on the Milanese Mesh.
As the watch is only around 8mm thick would the Milanese work well?
Is the mesh available as an option or does it have to be bought separately?
Thanks
Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts