WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Firstly, I AM SORRY FOR THE LOUSY PICTURES! I don't get home before the sun sets so I can't get good lighting. BUT I WILL POST BETTER ONES THIS WEEKEND I PROMISE!!

Here's the shipped box! I guess the lousy lighting made it diffused and as a result has that kind of "magical" feel to the whole opening step haha!!

There it is!!! The precious egg!!

Ahh, there she is... now my mind is boggled with the below... HELP!!!

Ok here goes. I got my first Soviet Era watch from Fred in Hong Kong. I must say this first exchange went very well and I'm very satisfied! :-!

As this is my first watch of such... heritage and it is a NOS, what should I do now? Is it ok to use right away? Or because it has been sitting there for 20+ years, has the oil congealed and stuff? If so, should I get it cleaned/serviced before using? Or....? (so on and so forth)

OMGI'MSOEXCITED!!!!! :-d

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
what a beauty congratulations!!! the best way to find out the mechanism's condition is to start it up, wind it slowly and gently, pay attention to weird noises, stare at the seconds hand for stutter or weird behavior... set the time against a digital source and monitor it during the day and enjoy it! it might need a quick adjustment or perhaps a service... but don't worry about starting it right out the box, use it first!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Very nice!
Truly classic,as Schnurrp says.
All you have to do is get it on a good strap,wind it up,and off you go!
Believe in these watches,and they will not let you down! ;-)

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Hi Folks,

Firstly, I AM SORRY FOR THE LOUSY PICTURES! I don't get home before the sun sets so I can't get good lighting. BUT I WILL POST BETTER ONES THIS WEEKEND I PROMISE!!

Ok here goes. I got my first Soviet Era watch from Fred in Hong Kong. I must say this first exchange went very well and I'm very satisfied! :-!

As this is my first watch of such... heritage and it is a NOS, what should I do now? Is it ok to use right away? Or because it has been sitting there for 20+ years, has the oil congealed and stuff? If so, should I get it cleaned/serviced before using? Or....? (so on and so forth)

That is one nice watch. How did you find it? I would love to get one!!
enjoy it in good health.

Glen

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what a beauty congratulations!!! the best way to find out the mechanism's condition is to start it up, wind it slowly and gently, pay attention to weird noises, stare at the seconds hand for stutter or weird behavior... set the time against a digital source and monitor it during the day and enjoy it! it might need a quick adjustment or perhaps a service... but don't worry about starting it right out the box, use it first!
Thank you jose. You mean like testing the temperature of the water before jumping into the pool? Aye, I'll do that!

Oh I'll definitely monitor it against a digital time source. In fact I have been monitoring my present day amphibia for about 6 months now using that method because I intend to TRY to regulate it. I'll be posting my findings on my 6 months worth of monitoring at a later date in a different thread, asking for advise again before I open her up.

Nice!! and big congrats!! Next target would be an NOS ZAKAZ MO CCCP !
Thanks pcke! Oh aye!! I'll keep my eyes peeled for one of those!! :-d

Classic! I don't think you would hurt anything in the movement by trying to start it up. Just stop if you feel any resistance. It may work fine as I have heard stories of owners using these Vostoks for decades without getting them serviced so....
Thanks schnurrp! Alright I'll take her on baby steps... or should I say SHE'LL be taking me on baby steps ^.^

Very nice!
Truly classic,as Schnurrp says.
All you have to do is get it on a good strap,wind it up,and off you go!
Believe in these watches,and they will not let you down! ;-)
Spazibo admiral. Oh yes I DEFINITELY believe in them! I wore my present day amphibia on reservice training a few months back, it had a few bumps here and there. There was one particularly hard knock against the railing of a troop transport. The "ding" sound was so loud everyone stopped and stared at me. But she just kept going and going... better than the duracell bunny!

It's not that I want to baby my CCCP, it's just that I want to give it the respect it deserves, like how one respects one's elders :) [While the younger amphibia grows old together with me... lol]

Yes I believe I shall be looking for a strap to match my CCCP. I'm welcome to suggestions. My current amphibia already has a black rubber strap for daily use and a black NATO that I switch it to when I go for heavy activities like reservice. The black strap matches the dial of my amphibia (KGB Dial) so I'm thinking if there are other colours I can get for my CCCP because even though it has a black dial too, I already have black straps.

That is one nice watch. How did you find it? I would love to get one!!
enjoy it in good health.

Glen
Thank you Glen, I shall! Oh I got in on the bay! From a vendor based in Hong Kong by the name of Fred, or at least... aliased Fred.

·
Registered
840 Posts
CJ Yap!

Congrat CJ! a beautiful watch! It´s a dilemma!

Don´t keep it in the box! Wear it CJ!

A bit oil is not bad though - or at least take a look at it!

wood

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
Yes I believe I shall be looking for a strap to match my CCCP. I'm welcome to suggestions. My current amphibia already has a black rubber strap for daily use and a black NATO that I switch it to when I go for heavy activities like reservice. The black strap matches the dial of my amphibia (KGB Dial) so I'm thinking if there are other colours I can get for my CCCP because even though it has a black dial too, I already have black straps.
I think I'm getting this for my CCCP tankist (coming soon!)
Premium NATO Watch Band G10 Military Strap - 10 Colors | eBay

I also have this for a Fibby with a similar case. It's weighty without being pricey (there's an ebay link in there):
https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/new-arrival-722902.html#post5286867

But I wonder how these would look:
New 18mm Red Nylon Diver Strap 3 Rings Watch Band Military fit ZULU Maratac 18 | eBay
New 18mm Sand Tan Nylon Diver Strap 3 Rings Watch Band Military fit ZULU Maratac | eBay
Leather NATO - 18mm Coffee - Leather NATOs - Type - Crown and Buckle (I like the brown strap on black face look)
NEW Maratac Zulu bands in 2 pc in 18 mm
18mm Canvas Watch Strap Band Sports Military Army New Pattern Professional | eBay

I really wish these were available in 18mm:
(I have an orange one on a Seiko Orange Monster, and it's awesome. Maybe too thick for a tank, but they're still cool)
RED piping Maratac composite elite strap

I'm always on the lookout for new strap ideas for these Russians, so let me know what you settle on!

Reactions: CJ_Yap

·
Registered
4,767 Posts

·
Registered
10,749 Posts

Take a deep breath and buy another one or two to take the pressure off!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CJ Yap!

Congrat CJ! a beautiful watch! It´s a dilemma!

Don´t keep it in the box! Wear it CJ!

A bit oil is not bad though - or at least take a look at it!

wood
But I dare not open it in case I scratch the caseback!! haha...

Anyway here guys, as promised!!! Better pictures!!!

The Tankist is coming out of its shell!!

The tail end of the fastening strip!

Sliding it out!

The caseback!! The finish is beautiful! Check out how it catches the light in a symmetrical hourglass-like reflection!!

The Factory Production Certificate!!

The reverse!

I bought a picture frame that actually consisted of two thick pieces of acrylic plastic that were meant to be screwed together, keeping the picture in between them like a vice and used it to store the papers instead!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've finally managed to get it opened at a watch shop! (I didn't dare to use my own unskilled hands in case I scratched the caseback LOL)

Could I ask for the experts' opinions? Is the movement ok? Do I need to go send it for cleaning, etc etc? It's been working so far, I've been winding it every now and then, letting the insides move around.

Here's another shot from an angle

Oh and I've FINALLY seen a strap that I think will match this piece very nicely, I've bought it on the bay. Once it comes I'll post pics of the watch+strap!! ^.^

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The best is to take it to the watchmaker for oiling and cleaning.
Sadly, the watchmaker who opened the watch for me dared not do anything else. To give him credit, he did not say things like Russian watches are bad, no point in servicing them, etc etc. He just said that he lacked the experience to take my Tankiedirskie apart and lack of spare parts in case he did anything bad.

Sigh...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts