WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey forum members! Well, Ive been wanting a Fusee for a looong time, they were just out of my price range...until this one came along..and at a great price. Its in need of some serious TLC BUT the bones are there and I gave the balance wheel a little tap and it rotates freely and actually ticks for a few seconds...and the chain is intact and there. SOoooo.... question is, what do I do? Do I leave it be and appreciate its age, beauty and history, OR, should I find someone who can service/clean it up and get it running? The case looks to be silver to me but Im not too sure, not much in the way of markings other than what you see in the picture. The movement is unmarked as well. I am guessing by the square pillars that it is 1700's? Any additional info you all might have is greatly appreciated. Thank you all!
SAM_1246.JPG SAM_1239.JPG SAM_1240.JPG SAM_1238.JPG SAM_1241.JPG SAM_1242.JPG SAM_1243.JPG

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
Now you get to spend all the money you saved by buying cheap on repairs... alas. Such is the way of the world.

Reactions: Mirius and busmatt

·
Registered
996 Posts
I think it is too cool to let it sit.. I would want to use it! It sounds like it may run if you have it cleaned, but what can you do about the dial? Might also be hard to find hands for it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it is too cool to let it sit.. I would want to use it! It sounds like it may run if you have it cleaned, but what can you do about the dial? Might also be hard to find hands for it.
I agree! As far as the dial, as long as I can find some hands, the dial cracks and such dont bother me, it actually looks very cool, almost steam punk-ish... Ill get the movement serviced, get some hands and thats as far as Ill go, I like that old look, especially if it is 1700's... btw, anyone agree that this is 1700's? Thanks

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
I am no expert but the pillars (holding the bridges together) look 1800s English to me. It seems too thin to be 1700s.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am no expert but the pillars (holding the bridges together) look 1800s English to me. It seems too thin to be 1700s.
Yea, see, I wasnt sure if the pillars being squared meant much. Most of the ones Ive seen from the 1800's are round and the 1700's are square, but Im no expert either so I appreciate your input. Either way, its my oldest watch to date and Im determined to getting this historical piece back in running condition. Maybe someone out there works on these and give me some pointers on taking it apart and cleaning.

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
Yea, see, I wasnt sure if the pillars being squared meant much. Most of the ones Ive seen from the 1800's are round and the 1700's are square, but Im no expert either so I appreciate your input. Either way, its my oldest watch to date and Im determined to getting this historical piece back in running condition. Maybe someone out there works on these and give me some pointers on taking it apart and cleaning.
I hope you have a lot of experience. The first few watches you work on usually die an unpleasant death...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is a French verge 1830/40 were called "montre Paysanne" peasant watch , because of fashion in small towns
regards enrico
Hey, thank you for the info, Ill have to look that up and learn more. What makes you say 1830/40? Is there something about the watch that hints to this age? Im just trying to learn as much as I can about Fusee watches, Ive never owned one and am fascinated by them as they are so very different than all my other "newer" pocket watches. I mostly collect Waltham, Elgins, Hamiltons etc. Thanks again to all.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
the coq rounded were the last. design before disappearing. earlier were more angular. on the book "La Montre Francais" of Chapiro states that, in France, were also in use in the early '900
regards enrico

1 - 11 of 11 Posts