WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm liking it!

I got this watch about a week ago and it's real nice! My only other mechanical watch is a Seiko 809 so, just be warned, I'm not a big mechanical watch enthusiast or collector.
To this Komandirski, though, the look is great; I like the bezel and face design. It's very practical and legible. I like the case design and bi-directional bezel. I have Casio Duros that have a unidirectional, ratcheting, bezels and that may be ideal for diving but really this bidirectional bezel has been working great for me for timing everyday events. It's real quick and easy to look, swing around the bezel, whichever direction is shortest, to the minute hand to start timing something. There's no sound and it's just real simple, quiet, and easy. I don't care at all that it doesn't ratchet. I can't believe bezels like this aren't way more popular because in every way I see it they're more practical. I could even work the bezel if I were on my motorcycle with leather gloves.
I got a Ritche leather watch band for this also. Yeah for a field watch maybe a synthetic band, maybe a NATO would be better but I hate NATOs and I thought it would look nice. It looks great on this light leather band! The silver polished buckle matches perfect. This is also my first leather watch band since I was 12 or 14 or so. I know people mod these all the time but I just don't see anything that is in any need of changing.
From what I've seen using a watch accuracy app it's running about 20 seconds a day fast. I believe that's about fine for a mechanical watch like this. My 809 was always running about 30 seconds a day fast. It always makes me laugh when I think about the whole world running on these things less than 50 years ago!
As to winding and setting, this is a little tricker to set than the 809. The hacking is a little harder to work out and the hand jumps around on me when I release it so it's hard to get it set to the second. The Seiko just holds still if you hold the crown right. The winding is actually something I welcome. I wear other watches most of the time so I would never keep this wound if it were automatic. The wobbly crown seems like a natural idea. It took a little getting used to but I don't have any problem winding or setting it now (outside the hand jumping around).
Anyhow, that's my impression of my first Vostok and one of my first experiences with mechanical watches.

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Yeah I like that it's just "Boctok" and whatever is at the 6 o'clock.

That bezel still rotates right? That's perhaps an example where I'd be tempted to paint some of the pips to have a particular set I could use for timing.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Thanks! Yeah I like that it's just "Boctok" and whatever is at the 6 o'clock.

That bezel still rotates right? That's perhaps an example where I'd be tempted to paint some of the pips to have a particular set I could use for timing.
It rotates, but there's not much point as it's really just decorative. I have plenty of other watches with functional timing bezels, so I'm fine with how it is.

Oh, the text above the 6 is СДЕЛАНО В РОССИИ - Made in Russia.

Tap, talk, and buy another watch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts