WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone!

First of:

I havent had a watch for 15 years, especially wasnt interested after I got my first cell phone. I'm a 29 year old lad from Norway, and a friend kinda got me into watches lately, as a jewelry.
I didnt see any practicality in getting a watch, but after he dressed up for going out and put on his nicest watch which I thought looked really good I could sense why some people wear it after all.

After some research and trying a few watches on, I put the order on a Bulova marine star 98B014. At first I wasnt sure if it was too small, cause most watches I seen lately tends gigantic even tho the latest trend seems to go a bit classical and minimal?.
Now I love it, and it's not unpleasant to wear. Not too big or too small, and I love how shiny and detailed it is(I know it's not any luxury watch, but I'm glad I didnt settle for the cheapest one I found).

Suddenly now I started noticing everyone around me that wore watches, and especially at work( I never even noticed it before!).
Suddenly a collegue I saw was wearing a nice tissot, another nixon etc.

Anyway, interesting to read so much about watches and brands I never even heard of before and all respect to the "elders" of the forums with so much knowledge on watches. I didnt even know the difference between automatics and quarts until a couple weeks ago.

I have a watch inherited from my grandfather too,which he got after 25 years of service at his work. Im thinking of getting it a fix up and a new strap since the old one is worn and torn.

Ill put up a few pics, and have a good weekend everyone.(upload fail everytime, reason unknown?).

20140616_211754.jpg
20140616_211038.jpg

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Welcome, glad you made it. It is a fascinating hobby that can be enjoyed by nearly everybody. Keep trying - love to see you grandfathers watch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll upload some! I just dont know how haha... is it because its dropbox? I'll try figure it out and uploading it

·
Registered
229 Posts
There is a size limit for images. (not sure what it is though) You may want to re-size the image, and try again.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Welcome to WUS.........Glad you made it, but hold onto your wallet. WUS has an uncanny way of making money fly out of it fast. Yes it does!

Oh and it's mandatory you learn how to upload pictures.

Reactions: Robotaz

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I look forward to seeing your grandfather's watch when you get it spiffed up and ready to go.

·
Registered
Unabashed Casio G-Shock fanboy
8,069 Posts
All of this is a good sign: noticing watches all around you, wanting to learn more. You have awakened. You are gaining WISdom. Read, browse the WRUW threads, buy what you like, flip (sell) what you don't like. :)

Reactions: Robotaz

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I have a watch inherited from my grandfather too,which he got after 25 years of service at his work. Im thinking of getting it a fix up and a new strap since the old one is worn and torn.
Welcome! Yeah, like everyone else I'm keen to see your grandfather's watch. Fixing up an old watch can sometimes be expensive, but you often end up with a really nice watch out of it.

Be careful about spending too much money on a new watch right now. People tend to discover watches, buy a watch they really like (which they think will be their "permanent" watch), and then six months later after they know more about watches their tastes change and they want something totally different.

Of course, most of us solve that problem by just buying new watches all the time...

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Don't forget to start at least one thread asking which is better, Rolex or Omega. :).

Just kidding. That would be bad.
Ahem......that has to now be Rolex, Omega or Grand Seiko! Yes it does!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
haha, thanks everyone!. I uploaded two pics now. I will get around and take some photos of my grandfathers watch soon.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Ahem......that has to now be Rolex, Omega or Grand Seiko! Yes it does!!
Really!?....New guy to welcome? Have to find a way to bring Rolex into every single thread....o|
Welcome....Come back anytime...:-!

Tried to do one of those multi-quote things.....but I don't know how..:-s

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Really!?....New guy to welcome? Have to find a way to bring Rolex into every single thread....o|
Welcome....Come back anytime...:-!

Tried to do one of those multi-quote things.....but I don't know how..:-s
To multi-quote, click on the "+ on the right hand bottom corner of each thread you want to quote, then the big Gold +Reply to Thread box on the lower left side and all the posts you wanted to include will be in your reply........

Reactions: little big feather

·
Premium Member
32,431 Posts
Welcome and we always look forward to pictures.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts