WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,
This is my first post here and I would really appreciate it if you guys could give me some advice on the following.
I'm about to buy my first 'real' watch and after a lot of contemplation, have settled on 2 choices. This is quite a big decision for me as the price range is really quite a reach, personally. Anyway, I have been considering 2 different watches. Both have a white/silver face with a brown leather strap.

1) IWC Spitfire Chronograph - Iw371702
2) Zenith El Primero Captain - 03211040001c498

My considerations are (in decreasing order):
1) Brand Reputation and Familiarity
2) Resale value
3) Movement accuracy
Of course, design is important as well but I have left that out as its pretty personal I guess.

Any comments? I'm really quite torn - I think the Zenith looks a tad nicer but its not a brand I've heard of before, actually (I'm really new at this). My dealer also tells me that the IWC's movement is very much inferior to the el primero's. Im being quoted roughly the same price for both watches.

Also, given my considerations (I'm looking for a nice dress watch which fulfills 1,2,3 and comes in a leather strap), would any of you have advice for other watches in the ~$5000 price range I should consider?

Thank you very much for your help and look forward to any replies!

·
Registered
304 Posts
From the style sticklers, you're going to hear that no chronograph is a proper "dress watch," so be warned. As far as a pure dress watch in that price range, I would personally go with a Jaeger Lecoultre Master Control. Jaeger is an elite brand, probably only behind the "big three", and arguably alongside them at this point.

Of the two, you're talking about two very highly respected brands. I assure you that Zenith is very respected in watch circles, although IWC as a brand is possibly a small notch above in that regard.

However, given these two models, the Spitfire is really a reworked ETA 7750 (although I'm sure it's from the higher end of that line) and the Zenith is an in-house El Primero. Both are going to be very accurate, but the El Primero movement in particular appeals to watch snobs. I would choose the Zenith between those two.

EDIT: If you're in love with the chronograph function, but want a dressy look at around $5k, then I would go with the IWC Portugese Chronograph (assuming you don't require a date.)

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
When it's these two, I wouldn't think about it ... the El Primero, of course! If it were the new Porto Yacht Club chrono and the El Primero, the choice might be a bit more difficult (but then again, the Yacht Club is too large for me).

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
can't go wrong with either. imo they are pretty similar in terms of reputation and resale value. but if i were you, i'd choose the el primero. (i have the same iwc, but longing to get an el primero.)

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
I have IWC Port Chrono and WANT to get a Zenith chrono.

Reworked 7750 (reworked is funny term since ETA assembles the whole 7750 supplied to IWC now), IF it is as good as actual IWC reworked movement, then it is VERY good one as my Port. Chrono runs -1sec so far in last 8 days not -1sec/day, but -1sec in last 8 days period.

That SAID, Spitfire line is not very popular IWC line IMHO, maybe traditional IWC pilot (with blackdial) chrono may hold resale better since it is one of your criteria.

Zenith does have edge with their movement since it is high beat in-house movement.

Some day, I want to own both.

Good luck in your choice. However, the dealer does not have ANY clue what he is talking about (or he is in-house movement snob OR his commission is higher on Zenith) if he told you that IWC movement is VERY MUCH inferior IMHO.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
I agree that you can't go wrong with either. I am partial to the El Primero. I'm curious why you are interested in resale value. As a watch guy who wouldn't sell any of his watches, I'm thinking your first watch purchase is kind of significant and could become somewhat of a milestone; and you may want to pass it down in the future. My two cents.

Whatever you decide, you have two very good choices and I can't wait to see pics of your choice!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Another vote for the Zenith here. I have a MSRP $3500 Tag and MSRP $1300 Hamilton, both with 7750 movements, and I can assure you that there is not a ~$2000 difference in feel or appearance when placed side by side. MSRP on the IWC is even higher than the Tag and while I do very much admire IWC watches, paying that much for a 7750 based watch just rubs me the wrong way, no matter the color of the screws or how much extra artwork is applied to the movement by ETA, or even by IWC for that matter. In the price range you're playing in, the Zenith makes a lot more sense with regards to actually getting the most out of your money and having something that is "special".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts