WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 18 years old and in the next few months I will be buying my first luxury watch. I like most of the Perrelets and Breitlings, my price range is 2-3 grand. I would love to hear some opinions on what I should get thanks!

P.S. doesn't matter if it is only in my price range pre owned I could live with it

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I'm 18 years old and in the next few months I will be buying my first luxury watch. I like most of the Perrelets and Breitlings, my price range is 2-3 grand. I would love to hear some opinions on what I should get thanks!

P.S. doesn't matter if it is only in my price range pre owned I could live with it
If you want some suggestions then you need to provide some guidelines.
1. Size of the watch
2. Style of the watch (dress vs casual)
3. Movement (simple 3 hander, date, day, chrono, moonphase, power reserve, etc etc.)
4. What you look for in a watch (brand recognition, technological advancement, clear caseback, etc etc)

I'm sure you'll get a lot more answers if you can provide more information on what you're after.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
case size 39-45 mm with a more sporty design has to have a date and I would like a day but it isn't a deal breaker and I love a nice chronograph.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'm waiting for a Perrelet seacraft but I'll let you know how it is. If you like the chrono version it can be purchased for about 1500-2000 used.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright thanks I was looking at the seacraft chrono online but I have had a hard time finding one in a local jeweler. looking forward too hearing your opinion on it.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I have always like the Perrelet and it is one of the most solid bracelets you can find. You might find one on the leather strap for under $2000US, a few hundred more for the bracelet.
Maybe try chrono24.com to locate a dealer. I am a big fan of the blue dial, but the white is very versatile.
perrelet-seacraft-white-dial-chronograph-automatic-mens-watch-a1054a.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have found a couple really reasonably priced seacrafts around 2k new but they had the black dial which I like but I feel if I were to have purchased one on the spot I would always kick myself for not going the extra mile for a white or blue one.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
A $2000 - $3000 watch at 18? Wow. In this price range the watches that I would be looking at are Omega's Seamaster 300 and Aqua Terra.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Please don't take my advise the wrong way as you are legally an adult at 18 and have the right to spend your money as you wish.

But I'd like to give you some heartfelt fatherly advise...
I would advise you to select a really nice watch in the $500-$750 price range and put the rest away in the bank for school or savings. Then possibly upon completing college, your parents will get you that luxury watch as a graduation gift.

I certainly can understand the appeal that a watch like that would have to someone of your age (or any age) but you have so much time in your life in which to obtain a watch like that.

Maybe you have saved for years for this. Maybe you come from a family that is well off. I do not know your financial status nor is it any of my business. If you were my own son this is the same advise I would give to him.

What ever you decide to do and what ever watch you decide to buy, I wish you always wear it in the best of health and may it bring you many many years of dependable service.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Buy a Breitling. It will probably hold value better so when your tastes change you can flip it easier. Used preferably.

Edit: not much of a breitling guy, but like transocean 38, superocean, and Seawolf.

·
Premium Member
7,094 Posts
The Speedmaster Pro above and the Sinn 103 are two popular chronograph options in your price range, for good reason. I'll add a less mentioned one on the forum but one I have always enjoyed: Chopard Mille Miglia. There are dozens of difference reference numbers with different looks, size, etc. I will post a couple:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Depending on model, condition, etc, these range anywhere from $1,500 to $5,000 and up. The first watch is available new at jomashop for $3K.

For non-chronographs, 2 watches I have owned within budget and would recommend are the Tudor Black Bay and Omega Aqua Terra 8500:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Good of luck with your hunt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My dad has collected watches and I grew up around it so I figured it was time to buy a luxury watch instead of buying something I wouldn't appreciate for a while.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sal I appreciate the advice but I come from a very wealthy family and my mother said she was gonna buy me one for my 18th birthday and gave me a price range and told me to one out. I really do greatly appreciate the care that went into that reply though.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Sal I appreciate the advice but I come from a very wealthy family and my mother said she was gonna buy me one for my 18th birthday and gave me a price range and told me to one out. I really do greatly appreciate the care that went into that reply though.
You're very welcome Schuyler, and thank you for your reply. You're very fortunate to have such loving parents. Enjoy the watch, and I'm sure this will only be the beginning for you. Just one more word of advise... This is a very addictive hobby. Once you start it's hard to stop. Do your homework when making a selection and choose your pieces wisely.
Best wishes,
JSal

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I have noticed that my father doesn't collect rolexes or anything but he has a nice collection of brands like Tag Heuer Breitlings and such, and thanks I will enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Tudor Pegalos (Known to be a little boring but it's the perfect tool watch)
Tudor-Pelagos-Blue-4.jpg

Bremont MBII (Available in different barrel colors)
bremonttwg2_zpscc785eda.jpg

Omega Planet Ocean
planetocean06.jpg

Omega Seamaster Professional (ceramic)
008-13.jpg

Breitling Superocean Heritage
breitling-superocean-heritage-46-main.jpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts