WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm nineteen and I've decided that I need a watch. I never wore one, except for cheap Casio plastic watches years ago. I'm not expert but I've done some research, and I need some advice.
Here's what I'm lookin for:

1) Price:around 200€, but if I find something for less I won't complain

2) Something durable and good quality, I'm gonna wear it everyday

3) A minimalist design, nothing fancy: just the time and the date

4) A leather strap

What I've found is that I absolutely have to ignore brands like DW and MVMT, and the well made watches that I found (and that I like) since now are:

1) The Tissot Everytime:

It comes at 230€, and I really like the fact that it's Swiss made and the sapphire glass. My main concern is the dial dimension, since it's 42 mm. I've got a wrist circumference of around 6.5 inches (16.5 cm) and I'm afraid it'll look too big.

2) Citizen Eco Drive bm 7460 11e:

This comes at 129€, which is very good. I like the ecodrive function, but maybe the watch isn't as durable as the Tissot.

The other suggestions that I found were the Timex Fairfield, but I don't really love it, and something from Seiko, but I don't really like their design.

I'm open to any suggestion and opinion about what I found :)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The everytime is all dial, and will probably look to big on you. If I were you I would look in the 34-38 mm range.

At 200 you shouldn't limit yourself to Swiss watches, there is really no point in having swiss made on the dial. The tissot everytime has a clean minimalist dial. So if we extend the search to German watches, Sternglas with their affordable bauhaus style watches becomes a viable alternative.

The sternglas Naos is a 38mm watch with Ronda quartz, domed saphire crystal, date complication and a clean minimalist design. Several dial and strap choices as well. All up for 189 Euro.
https://www.sternglas.de/products/naos?variant=29153441218630

You already mentioned Timex, did you also look at their Marlin series? At 34mm they have a classic size to match their traditional design language.
Sent from my rotary phone using Crapatalk

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Hi,

I'm nineteen and I've decided that I need a watch. I never wore one, except for cheap Casio plastic watches years ago. I'm not expert but I've done some research, and I need some advice.
Here's what I'm lookin for:

1) Price:around 200€, but if I find something for less I won't complain

2) Something durable and good quality, I'm gonna wear it everyday

3) A minimalist design, nothing fancy: just the time and the date

4) A leather strap

What I've found is that I absolutely have to ignore brands like DW and MVMT, and the well made watches that I found (and that I like) since now are:

1) The Tissot Everytime:

It comes at 230€, and I really like the fact that it's Swiss made and the sapphire glass. My main concern is the dial dimension, since it's 42 mm. I've got a wrist circumference of around 6.5 inches (16.5 cm) and I'm afraid it'll look too big.

2) Citizen Eco Drive bm 7460 11e:

This comes at 129€, which is very good. I like the ecodrive function, but maybe the watch isn't as durable as the Tissot.

The other suggestions that I found were the Timex Fairfield, but I don't really love it, and something from Seiko, but I don't really like their design.

I'm open to any suggestion and opinion about what I found :)
Got just the watch for you. The Victorinox INOX. It is 42mm, but wears quite small. The quality and versatility is second to none.
Victorinox INOX.jpg

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Sounds like you're already on the right path. Just keep doing research. At first I wasn't a fan of Seiko designs either, but they have so much more on offer than just the generic ones on Amazon's first results page.

For a great minimalist first watch (which is also automatic), Orient Bambino gen 2 v.3 is a good one. It's only like $100, a real bargain, and Orient is a great brand.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
+1 for the orient bambino.

Any preference on the Dial colour?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
The bambino is rather large. Not a huge fan of it on my 7 inch wrists. Can only imagine how it would fit on OPs 6.5 inch wrists.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Citizen make some great watches. You could pick this one up on the bracelet and then buy a leather strap you like the look of and still come under budget. It's 37mm which would be a great size and also has a sapphire crystal. BM6770-51G.

121998_5_1573732288766.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, I really like the sternglas! I will seriously consider it.
About the timex, isn't 34mm too small? I've found a 40mm version , is it the same watch for the rest?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like you're already on the right path. Just keep doing research. At first I wasn't a fan of Seiko designs either, but they have so much more on offer than just the generic ones on Amazon's first results page.

For a great minimalist first watch (which is also automatic), Orient Bambino gen 2 v.3 is a good one. It's only like $100, a real bargain, and Orient is a great brand.
That was another watch that continuously popped up during my research. I've considered it, and I like it, but I'm not totally convinced.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
+1 for the orient bambino.

Any preference on the Dial colour?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Well, not really. I think I'd prefer white or black, while for example I'm not a fan of the blue ones, but it all depends on the whole appearance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The bambino is rather large. Not a huge fan of it on my 7 inch wrists. Can only imagine how it would fit on OPs 6.5 inch wrists.

I was afraid of that too, so if you say it looks large on your wrist it definitely will on mine

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Citizen make some great watches. You could pick this one up on the bracelet and then buy a leather strap you like the look of and still come under budget. It's 37mm which would be a great size and also has a sapphire crystal. BM6770-51G.

View attachment 14625407
This one looks great! Also maybe I would also use the bracelet if I have it, maybe eventually I will love it. The only problem is that I can't find it on Amazon or on citizen's website, can you provide a link?

·
Registered
916 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=BM6770-51G&_trksid=m5467.l1311

First result is from Japan for USD$132.

Even if you're not that into bracelet, it's much easier to buy aftermarket leather than it is to find a bracelet down the track if you change your mind. Probably helpful if you choose to sell the watch at some point in future too.

Even better way to stretch your money further is to buy used. Might even have enough change to get your first automatic watch as well 😄

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've done some research on the watches that have been suggested. At the moment I'm considering the sternglas naos and the timex marlin, maybe the ecodrive if I can find it somewhere.
I like the naos because of the design and the sapphire glass, but I've noticed that in the description it says that the watch can lose 10/20 seconds a month. Isn't it too much for a quartz movement?
I also like the timex marlin automatic (40mm), because it's automatic and I also like the fact that the movement is exposed in the back, even if I get it that it's not a great movement (I don't know anybody that really knows about watches so I guess nobody is gonna be disappointed). What do you think comparing this two watches?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=BM6770-51G&_trksid=m5467.l1311

First result is from Japan for USD$132.

Even if you're not that into bracelet, it's much easier to buy aftermarket leather than it is to find a bracelet down the track if you change your mind. Probably helpful if you choose to sell the watch at some point in future too.

Even better way to stretch your money further is to buy used. Might even have enough change to get your first automatic watch as well ��
Thank you. The problem is that I haven't seen it with a leather strap so I don't really know what the final result is gonna be, but I'll keep it in mind

·
Registered
916 Posts
No problem. And welcome to WUS 🙂

Regular quartz movements are rated to +/-15 seconds a month. With an auto that's about the standard per day...

Whatever you do decide to buy, be sure to come back and post a wrist shot!

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
A little bolder than what has been suggested so far, but you might want to look at what Mondaine has to offer. Clean and modern, with a twist. Here's one model:
Mondaine_Classic.jpg

Braun makes some, too.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts