WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really appreciate the Zenith EP. So many choices, making my head spin. Just looking for opinions only, if you're willing.

At roughly the $5K price point, is this a good place to start? It's model 03.2280.400/91.R576.

ElPrimero.jpg

I will buy the watch and not the "deal", but are there any that may be better than others as far as value retention? I rarely need to dress in a suit or even slacks/sport coat. But in the same way my PAM 111 can work with most outfits short of full-on suit or tux, I like something that is versatile and generally cool (I know, I know, doesn't get much more subjective than that). Thanks!

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
If you want value retention, you should probably go with the original tri-color model with silver dial. Thatll be easiest to sell if thats important to you.

The only time Id buy a rarer model is if its limited edition or it really spoke to me. You seem unmoved by any particular version, so just go with tri-color for logical reasons such as value retention.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Zenneth El Primo 1969.jpg

The folks at Hodinkee posted this a few weeks back. Tri color with their brown racing strap. Lovely combination and would be an easy resell. I think the strap is about $150 and Jomashop has the 38mm 1969 for about $4500. Classic piece, very flexible with most casual outfits.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you want value retention, you should probably go with the original tri-color model with silver dial. Thatll be easiest to sell if thats important to you.

The only time Id buy a rarer model is if its limited edition or it really spoke to me. You seem unmoved by any particular version, so just go with tri-color for logical reasons such as value retention.
Thanks for the reply, Level.5x! Many appeal to me, so this helps me narrow.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see there are several tri-color faces. One with a red line around the entire face, one with a skeleton (?) face where you see the gears, one that's 45MM and has date at bottom vs between the 5-6 position - 03.2520.400/69.C713, and a 38MM version...are you saying any of the tri-color silver face are most 'collectible'? All cool, though the larger is better for me with 7.25 diameter wrist.

My apologies for any missed or incorrect terminology as I learn... ;^)

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,141 Posts
At the same time, despite being on the larger side, that model has a distinct advantage over most other El Primeros: it is one of the few that has screw down crown and pushers, making it entirely waterproof. That may help it to retain value a little.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
At the same time, despite being on the larger side, that model has a distinct advantage over most other El Primeros: it is one of the few that has screw down crown and pushers, making it entirely waterproof. That may help it to retain value a little.
Thank you, sir! Great to know as I continue down the learning curve. I tend to go for very clean design, but these are quite nice.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
The model you’ve posted is part of the relatively new “Sport” line, characterized by the 45 mm case, screw down pushers and flared “oar” styled hands. I’m not sure how popular this line will turn out to be. Reception among enthusiasts on the forums has been lukewarm, mainly because of its large size and weird hands which look like they borrow from Japanese watch design. From a value retention perspective I think it may have some trouble. As many have pointed out, the tricoloured versions are a safer bet.

However, if you like it and the model calls to you then by all means go for it. I think it looks great with the rubber strap.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The model you’ve posted is part of the relatively new “Sport” line, characterized by the 45 mm case, screw down pushers and flared “oar” styled hands. I’m not sure how popular this line will turn out to be. Reception among enthusiasts on the forums has been lukewarm, mainly because of its large size and weird hands which look like they borrow from Japanese watch design. From a value retention perspective I think it may have some trouble. As many have pointed out, the tricoloured versions are a safer bet.

However, if you like it and the model calls to you then by all means go for it. I think it looks great with the rubber strap.
Thanks for that. I am all over the place. Bouncing from Zenith EP to Speedmaster or Seamaster to another PAM to Bell & Ross.

Is there a tricoloured EP that is larger than 38MM? To-date, I have just bought whatever grabs me at the time (e.g. Master II GMT) and when I wear that piece, it reminds me I wish I’d spent the money for a Deep Sea for sheer size.

This is why I am trying to get myself aligned to start learning more and truly build a decent collection.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Thanks for that. I am all over the place. Bouncing from Zenith EP to Speedmaster or Seamaster to another PAM to Bell & Ross.

Is there a tricoloured EP that is larger than 38MM?
There certainly is. The 42 mm version of the tricolour is available (it seems to be Zenith core product these days). There’s also the Classic Cars version at 42 mm with tricolour subdials and grey Côtes de Genève on the primary dial. Several Stratos models are tricolour and measure 45 mm including their rotating bezels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How is the value retention with the Captain line?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
How is the value retention with the Captain line?
I have no idea, but my guess is low. The most popular line or model is always going to hold its value the best which for Zenith, is the EP. And of the EPs, the tri-color with silver dial.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts