WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, naturally, she came to advice on the subject. And naturally, since I don't know anything about pocket watches, I come to you.

She's looking for something gold, Roman numerals, enamel or porcelain dial, and a solid good chain.

No budget has been discussed as of yet, so if you guys could throw me some ideas that run the gamut, it'd be much appreciated. I don't even know where to start.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Not an expert of those, but seen now ones now and then. Only current pocket watches I've seen lately worth mentioning have been Longines, others were cheap quartz crap. Only one I could find from company site is from Heritage collection and seems to be around 1.500€, and that's not gold or plated. Heritage Collection - Longines - L7.022.4.11.1

At low end of mechanicals a Finnish private label seems to have several options around 200€ for a gold plated one with Roman numerals. I would imagine something similar might be available in that price range from U.S. located brands too. Taskukello - Leijonakellot

Good luck with the hunt!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Look at ebay.

·
Registered
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gold ? Gold plated ?
vacheron has a nice gold pw. For plated: Aerowatch, Neuchatel, CH.
I would imagine gold plated is enough. I think solid gold is asking too much. I know how much she makes, and she probably can't afford a solid good watch, considering how much these things go for these days.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Unless she has a considerable budget, I'd start vintage. True enamel and porcelain dials are very rare on modern timepieces outside of Breguet, Lange, Vacheron, and Patek.

·
Registered
12,781 Posts
I think Tissot actually offers pocket watches. But personally, I'd go vintage American. Get a railroad grade Hamilton (the real one). Will go for several hundred (up to a grand or more), but so worth the money. She could also get a vintage PW and possibly have it recased with his initials to make it "his". She could also get the real Ball watch.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Probably vintage, but it's a bit of a gamble I guess with movement state. Some good American makers to look for would be Waltham, Hamilton (as stated above), E. Howard, Illinois, or Elgin. Maybe Longines for Swiss?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts