·
Registered
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From G-Central.

My G-Shock custom DWE-5610 shop coming October 20 to Japan

G-Shock, News
My G-Shock Custom Watch Service
G-Shock Japan is launching the “My G-Shock” custom watch service on October 20, 2021 (14:00). The service is essentially an e-shop that allows customers to select their own colors and parts to create a personalized G-Shock DWE-5610 watch, with about 1.9 million combinations available. These selectable parts include the bezel, face (including display type), band (short and long sections), buckle, and band keeper. Prices start at 15,400 yen (tax-included).

The base DWE-5610 features a Carbon Core Guard interior case made of carbon fiber reinforced resin. There will be “First Color” limited faces and colors based on the first color G-Shock DW-5600 models. Casio is also planning to develop seasonal themes including more limited colors and collaborations. There are two band keeper types available: the single-loop type and the triple-loop type that allows for more combinations. Watches are shipped within three to five weeks of ordering. Skeleton (translucent) bezels and bands and buckles have an additional fee. Each watch will ship in a box that doubles as a papercraft kit.

See the rest of the article here.

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
Great service for those that would like the job done professionally rather than trying it themselves.

Let's see if they do have it in countries other than Japan eventually.

I like the triple keepers

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
Intrigued by this move from Casio, It has deeper ramifications than you'd expect at first glance. Opening these options up will limit their ability to create special editions from colour variations alone and they'll have to rely on special prints / textures - which could be a good or bad thing depending on how you see it: Good because special editions will now indeed be special and bad because they'll likely cost more.

What I'm curious about is if they'd extend this to other series. The majority of the full metal line for example has simply been a play on colours, could we possibly see the same custom option offered here? The TR9 would be a great precursor for this and it's popularity (as a worst case mish-mash of colours) a proof of concept that this could work. I envisage being able to choose your base material (SS or Titanium), bezel and link colours etc. As examples; you'd be able to recreate many special editions (the Porter comes to mind) and reimagine existing pieces with positive displays - a common request. The popular GA2100 series comes to mind too.

All in all I'm very intrigued by this and hope it portends more customisation down the line.

·
Premium Member
8,473 Posts
Intrigued by this move from Casio, It has deeper ramifications than you'd expect at first glance. Opening these options up will limit their ability to create special editions from colour variations alone and they'll have to rely on special prints / textures - which could be a good or bad thing depending on how you see it: Good because special editions will now indeed be special and bad because they'll likely cost more.

What I'm curious about is if they'd extend this to other series. The majority of the full metal line for example has simply been a play on colours, could we possibly see the same custom option offered here? The TR9 would be a great precursor for this and it's popularity (as a worst case mish-mash of colours) a proof of concept that this could work. I envisage being able to choose your base material (SS or Titanium), bezel and link colours etc. As examples; you'd be able to recreate many special editions (the Porter comes to mind) and reimagine existing pieces with positive displays - a common request. The popular GA2100 series comes to mind too.

All in all I'm very intrigued by this and hope it portends more customisation down the line.
They only offer 19 different colors and on top of that there are thousands of different shades, so I don't think they'll necessarily be limited. I think it said the base price was 15,000 some yen (and I am sure that price just continues to climb as you mix and match, and customize), which when you think about it is about $20-30 USD more than a normal newly released colorway, so this will be quite the cash cow if it takes off.

My guess is if it takes off they'll offer limited colorways and designs to mix and match and charge more, and that their monthly non-LE/collab colorway releases will eventually become a part of the customization ecosystem. I am guessing Casio has big long term plans with this and a lot more up their proverbial sleeves.

I actually agree with you about the metal squares and I have even thought about doing it myself here and there. I wouldn't be surprised if that became a reality.

Reactions: A.G. and Dxnnis

·
Registered
All Square all the time. (Almost)
796 Posts
Right now, one variant I would love would be a GWM-5610 with white OR red resin. Great idea but I’m sure there will be the people who will buy customs and sell them as “rare” or “custom” for a premium. Akin to selling parts from tiktox or PP plus shipping, fees, and a premium. My point is that they NEED an international release.

·
Registered
All Square all the time. (Almost)
796 Posts
From G-Central.

My G-Shock custom DWE-5610 shop coming October 20 to Japan

G-Shock, News
My G-Shock Custom Watch Service
G-Shock Japan is launching the “My G-Shock” custom watch service on October 20, 2021 (14:00). The service is essentially an e-shop that allows customers to select their own colors and parts to create a personalized G-Shock DWE-5610 watch, with about 1.9 million combinations available. These selectable parts include the bezel, face (including display type), band (short and long sections), buckle, and band keeper. Prices start at 15,400 yen (tax-included).

The base DWE-5610 features a Carbon Core Guard interior case made of carbon fiber reinforced resin. There will be “First Color” limited faces and colors based on the first color G-Shock DW-5600 models. Casio is also planning to develop seasonal themes including more limited colors and collaborations. There are two band keeper types available: the single-loop type and the triple-loop type that allows for more combinations. Watches are shipped within three to five weeks of ordering. Skeleton (translucent) bezels and bands and buckles have an additional fee. Each watch will ship in a box that doubles as a papercraft kit.

See the rest of the article here.

Oh,.. so maybe no solar option (yet). Which module(s) will be offered?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Opening these options up will limit their ability to create special editions from colour variations alone and they'll have to rely on special prints / textures - which could be a good or bad thing depending on how you see it: Good because special editions will now indeed be special and bad because they'll likely cost more.
Special editions are rarely ever just a different color variation on the bezel and strap. They often switch up the colors of the buttons, the pattern or print on the face, and the color of the bezel wording. I'm not saying every special edition is "special" or significant but some subtle changes from using grey wording or white wording on a black bezel make a world of difference. A service like this would need too many variations to come close to challenging their special editions.

So far this service is only for the DWE-5600 which seems to be their go to customizable model with different bands and bezels on every release so far. If they make a special edition of the DW-5600 with the exact same colors available for this service you wont be able to get interchangeable bezels because they are not compatible.

This service also has parts listed as limited so this will not be an eternal, archival service. The availability of part will rotate just like limited editions will. I'm excited for the service don't get me wrong. At the same time I temper my expectations.

·
Premium Member
8,473 Posts
In this video he is mostly scrolling through the website but he also shows footage of an event where they displayed the real watches and parts etc
Funny how something as small as the keeper colors really ties a lot of these colorways together

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
This sorta seems like a no brainer - of course it'll be popular. But it also seems like a colossal logistical nightmare.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts