WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been over a month now since Ive received my long awaited Kingston and unlike the plank customers Ive already been quite hyped up from plank threads and photos so I had hoped i wouldnt be dissapointed after all those praises that I had read.

After picking it up at the customs I quickly opened the box just to get a glimps of it before heading to the office. It looked nice but a bit simpler than I expected it to look from the pics scattered around here. I wrapped it up and left it for the evening.

It took me about 2 weeks to fall in love with my Kingston and discover all those little details that stand out and which you dont expect in an under 4-5k usd category. To name a few:

- the gild dial! if Rolex made this, the watch world would go absolutely nuts and ADs would be flooded with unprecedented order volumes. words cant express how it looks from different angles. how it disappears when the light is dim and you are suddenly left with a dark dial with no inscriptions and just the watch hands and indices. then how it shines up with sunlight and you keep staring at it.. work of art..
- the triplock assuring you it can take more than you can
- the bigcrown ending up its screwing in in the best possible position for admiring its signature
- the rivetted bracelet taking you back in time to the days this was the way to go but at the same time upgrading the clasp from tin to steel
- the bezel that lines up with micrometer punctuality unlike many other much more expensive brands and their varying quality control

i could keep going on about the bezel movement thats superior to the omega planet ocean (but not on par with Rolex) or the perfect height of the case on the inner side between the dial and glass (compare this to the Steinhart cases which are completely wrong) or the softness and feel of the watch as a whole (the modern Rolex sub is trying to be so much more a tough guy rather than a mixture of toughness and tenderness).. oh well.. to a non WIS I might sound like a lunatic, but Im sure some of fellow mkiiers around here do understand me.

Last but not least let me thank Bill for what he did and even how he did it despite all the let downs and "anger" he faced during the time. For that he definitely earned my sincere respect!

I hope all the remainder of the GOs will be enjoying their piece soon and that many of us appreciate the uniqueness of what we are fortunate of having. Let us all wear these in good health! :)

P7081700.JPG
P7081701.JPG

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'm glad that the wait in the end proved worth it. You have earned the right to wear it, and wear it well. I've had my Kingston for some time, and I still get caught offguard by the beauty of its dial (you're quite right: if Rolex offered this dial there'd be waiting lists at the ADs for years). BTW, really like it on a black NATO as a change of pace.

Reactions: serdal23 and tmoris

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I will add my short review here as well.

When I received my date version KingstonI was a little underwhelmed. Now I haveto say I was a little disappointed to get the date version first and knew I was not going to be wearing it soon. It was a great looking watch but can anything live up to the awesome pictures that have been posted? The history and the Bond legacy(?)?

Well I looked at it, took a few bad pics with the protective plastics still on, looked at it some more and then put it in its case.

When the non-date version showed up a I immediately thought that the C3 lume on it did not compare to the BGW9 lume on the date version. Bill had stated that he himself preferred the whiteness of the BGW9 lume. I looked at both and I after getting over my higher than reasonable expectations started to like them more and more. Unfortunately Ihad to wait until this last Thursday to get my band replaced and resized. (I really did not HAVE to wait but there is an older gent who comes to our building every Thursday to do watch work for monies. I like to give him the business and listen to his stories. He reallylike Omega.)

So I have been wearing my Kingston for under 2 days. The C3 lume has REALLYgrown on me. I love the look of theslight green lume on the dial next to the gold. At night the lume is green, which is reassuring to someone of my age who just assumes watch lume will be green. It immediately passed the girl test. I saw her sizing it up to see if she could wear it too. J

The more I wear it the more I love it. It gets better looking everyday. I cannot say that Iwill not get tired of it but I really cannot see myself not liking it. I plan on this being my every day wear for the next few months with my trusty WhiteTuna and every day beast Raven Vintage getting some casual wear work in.

I would like to add that I thought the Kingstonwas a little taller than I would like but I think the size is perfect. All around I think this watch is the perfect size for me. Which is good since I am inon the MKII GMT pre-order as well. J

There was atime I was thinking I may try to trade the date version for a new MKII Paradive but I really cannot see that happening now. I love the Paradive and could see myself with one in the future, but that will be a purchase. J

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Nice review. The gilt dial really is the star of the show and truly unique. My only dislike of the Kingston is just how difficult the bracelet is to size. Two thumbs up for the watch

·
Banned
2,545 Posts
Excellent reviews, Comrades!

I am still new to MKII world despite previously owning one last year, a Seafighter.

I hope my this question will not be a silly one: Which MKII models have the gilt dial? As per my reading through your posts, Kingstone and Nassau have gilt dials. Does MKII LRRP UTC have also gilt dial?

Thanks in advance, and wear yours in the best of health . . .

Capt. Serdal

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I think just Kingston. Nassau does not, and will not, have a gilt dial.

I am not sure that MKII will ever produce another gilt dial, though it would look great with a Root Beer MKII GMT (My wish but probably a no go) or even a white dial MKII GMT.

·
Banned
3,600 Posts
Yeah, as I understand also. Just the Kingston at this time with the gilt dial treatment. Some really interesting information given by Bill on the process of electroplating and other intricacies in producing these dials in a post somewhere. I got the impression that while the results are extraordinary that they were especially difficult to produce and would not be repeated in the near future. Maybe not at all, ever.

And, in comparing some of the recent early sub homage "no crown guard" releases from various manufactures who have released gilt dial pieces. I have yet to really see a recent gilt dial release that is anywhere near as nice for my money as the Kingston. Most of the other pieces I have seen appear to have the gilt applied to the top of the dial or painted below a lacquer. Whatever method they have chosen, while I do like some of the releases and overall designs.... no where close to the appeal and sexiness of the Kingston gilt dial. I have not examined the other pieces in person, but, from pics I have seen they do not appear to have the silky smoothe finish of the Kingston gilt dial.

It would be interesting to hear the whole story in one of Bill's "why the h### does it take so long to make gilt dials" segments.:-d But, while Bill may not currently feel like venturing into this endeavor again he also may not feel it to be in his bests interest to explain the entire process to the general populace.

I think just Kingston. Nassau does not, and will not, have a gilt dial.

I am not sure that MKII will ever produce another gilt dial, though it would look great with a Root Beer MKII GMT (My wish but probably a no go) or even a white dial MKII GMT.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
.... no where close to the appeal and sexiness of the Kingston gilt dial. I have not examined the other pieces in person, but, from pics I have seen they do not appear to have the silky smoothe finish of the Kingston gilt dial.

It would be interesting to hear the whole story in one of Bill's "why the h### does it take so long to make gilt dials" segments.:-d But, while Bill may not currently feel like venturing into this endeavor again he also may not feel it to be in his bests interest to explain the entire process to the general populace.
On August 10th, 2009 - in the thread about the Kingston Update (Cont'd) - Bill explains how he had been informed how the original dials were created and how it wasn't going to be an easy effort. I quote part of his post below:

"In this scene James Bond is in a dark night club and he is using a lighter to read his watch and light a cigarette. The light of the flame is being reflected by the gold indexes.

It turns out this effect isn't created with paint as my dial supplier originally indicated to me. After further study and 6 months of my nagging they realized that this effect could only be created using the "lost paint" process that was used on the original 6538 dials. The process we will be using is a variation of the original and goes something like this:

1. Plate brass blank of dial with gold or a gold tone material to a mirror finish
2. Print your markers using a acid resistant paint
3. Plate the dial black. This is where the process deviates from the original. the originals used paint not electroplating.
4. Remove the acid resistant paint to reveal the gold surface underneath
5. Clear coat the dial, print the depth rating, and lume the dial

My thanks goes out to John S. for explaining the process to me and sharing his knowledge regarding this process.

This process is the most likely reason that no one has really attempted to create an homage to this watch before. The dials will end up being the most expensive I have ever used and will turn out to be a significant percentage of the cost of the project. Normally dial costs are small relative to everything else. The price of the watch for the pre-order customers will naturally stay the same but the retail price of the watch may have to go up depending upon the scrap rate of this part. It will be the tail that wags the dog :-d"

Reactions: marchone and tmoris
1 - 12 of 12 Posts