WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rejoice my fellow affordable lovers. The Archimedes outdoor watch now has a hardened steel case and bracelet. It is 1200 Vickers which I believe is the same as Sinn's tegimented technology. This Is the most affordable watch with this hardening technology that I am aware of. Anybody know any others? It comes in around 750 US dollars which is much more affordable than Sinn and Damasko.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
It's actually been out for a few months. Definitely a fantastic deal and on my shortlist for a new daily beater watch with that hardened steel! It costs just a bit more than Damasko's bracelet!

I wish they made a 42mm version as that is more my size for a sport watch.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
The full lume dial version is also pretty cool! Very simple but cool watch!

-Sent using Rock, Paper and the occasional Scissors-

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
Ugh. It's a shame about the sizing. 39mm/18mm is really, really small. It's got a great spec sheet though.

I'll be honest-- I like the clean look, but there's something about it that makes it really seem like it's not worth the cost. Maybe the dial is too plain, the case back is too plain or something-- but it just doesn't scream "hey, I'm worth $700+".

But of course the hardening of the steel on the non-PVD version doesn't really "show" as a feature. You just know it's there.

·
Banned
5,646 Posts
Ugh. It's a shame about the sizing. 39mm/18mm is really, really small. It's got a great spec sheet though.

I'll be honest-- I like the clean look, but there's something about it that makes it really seem like it's not worth the cost. Maybe the dial is too plain, the case back is too plain or something-- but it just doesn't scream "hey, I'm worth $700+".

But of course the hardening of the steel on the non-PVD version doesn't really "show" as a feature. You just know it's there.
39mm is now "really, really small"?! Blimey. What's "a bit small" - 42mm?

·
Registered
8,720 Posts
For me 39mm is perfect for that style of watch. There's something I can't put my finger on about the Outdoor that doesn't work for me though.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Banned
5,646 Posts
For me 39mm is perfect for that style of watch. There's something I can't put my finger on about the Outdoor that doesn't work for me though.

There's something subtle and complex about the curves of the case: the hands look rather plain in the midst of them? (Also: hour hands thicker than minute hands yuk)

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Must be lots of "big-boned" or "husky" guys out there. ;-)

39mm is on the large side for me, with 36mm being about perfect and 40mm being the max. (with an exception given to Casio)

...or, they're just making excuses for not liking so they don't feel they "have to buy it."

I've been there.

·
Registered
8,720 Posts
There's something subtle and complex about the curves of the case: the hands look rather plain in the midst of them? (Also: hour hands thicker than minute hands yuk)
I think it's the dial. I prefer the first version, although that doesn't quite nail it either.
(stolen pic)

·
Banned
5,646 Posts
Must be lots of "big-boned" or "husky" guys out there. ;-)

39mm is on the large side for me, with 36mm being about perfect and 40mm being the max. (with an exception given to Casio)

...or, they're just making excuses for not liking so they don't feel they "have to buy it."

I've been there.
I went and tried on my 39mm watch. I found it "pleasantly broad"

I think it's the dial. I prefer the first version, although that doesn't quite nail it either.
(stolen pic)

not a fan of some numbers being bigger than others

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I'm with the 'not quite there' crowd. It ticks all the boxes (including size) that should make it the absolute perfect watch for me, but something just doesn't quite gel for me... I wish I could quantify it better. I like the case shape. The numbers aren't perfect, but don't kill it for me. Overall the whole package is not quite there. Maybe the 3rd generation will be one I need. ;-)

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
Well as stated I've got that 20.5cm/8" wrist and am 195cm/6'4" tall. I'm a big guy. 39mm is right at the minimum I can wear without just going ahead and buying a ladies or kids watch :-d (I have one 36mm that I just can't wear-- it's basically a ladies watch on me. 42-44mm is my sweet spot-- I've grown to appreciate smaller watches to a point from WUS, but 39mm is pushing it for a "sports" watch. Most of my complaint is the 18mm lugs, though. 18mm with the stock notched straps and bracelet may be OK, but aftermarket 18mm straps are probably going to make the watch look too narrow/small.

I get that it's a nice package from a feature set standpoint, but it's really sized for someone else. It's really not (design-wise) something that I'm mad about being sized incorrectly. I'll save that ire for the Sinn 556 ;-)

As they say, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

Reactions: Deledda

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
17,555 Posts
The outside is durable. What is the movement?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts