WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I need help recognizing my Grandfather Omega watch. I know that watch is from 1944, that it was given to my Grandfather in USA, when he arrived with 1st Yugoslav Partizan Ship in 2. World War. S.N. number is 10269463 and is 15 jewel. I was searching across the web, but I didn't find the exactly same model as mine. Please, be so kind and help me with some additional data.

Thanks

Gasper

Attachments

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum

Nice old watch :)

I did a quick check and the serial no' you gave dates the watch to 1944.

I've seen similar models to this before, but don't know enough about Omegas from this period to give you any more details.....I'm sure someone will be along who can shed some more light.

Any chance of you getting a picture of the movement?? That would certainly help in identifying it!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Gasper, first of all.. this watch is awesome!

Identifying it is hard without a picture of the movement.
There is a reference number inside the back of the watch, which would also be a great help.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Great watch. This is my Tissot Militar - also from 1944.

Tissot and Omega merged in 1930. So I think these 2 are cousins.:)

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Great watch. This is my Tissot Militar - also from 1944.

Tissot and Omega merged in 1930. So I think these 2 are cousins.:)
That Tissot was made for the Swedish Army. The "A" in Militar should have 2 dots above it. A Swedish letter, pronounced "ae".

How does the caseback look like?

Omega made some watches for the S. Army too, the most famous one was called Officer. Same two-tone dial as the other Omegas on this thread.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
That Tissot was made for the Swedish Army. The "A" in Militar should have 2 dots above it. A Swedish letter, pronounced "ae".

How does the caseback look like?

Omega made some watches for the S. Army too, the most famous one was called Officer. Same two-tone dial as the other Omegas on this thread.
Really? I didn't know that. Thank you. The case back is:

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I was wondering why you locked it :-d

In any case, I have not found a match for these lugs and this dial, but they did offer more dials than they have in the museum.

This is the most common officer dial (not mine sadly) - so no match there. These had the 26.5 movement.

I seem to recall seeing a 2 tone one, but I can't find an image of it atm.

The radial numbers were common enough in the late 30s and early 40s - both the RCAF and US army used the radial numbers - although with different dials (black and white respectively). These had the 30T movement.

From your lugs, I am guessing yours has the 30T movement.

The watch all seems to hang together, and in the absence of a movement and case number, I can't add more.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
I didn't lock it. I don't know what happened there.:roll:

·
Banned
21,244 Posts

All pics lifted from the 'net.

Just some I found through Google.
Some seems to have the Bulls Eye dial, other a more classic one tone dial. It seems the Swedish Army specs were not as detailed as the US/UK/Luftwaffe!

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
And I forgot to say three more things:
1: Thanks for re-opening the Thread, Marrick!

2: You should make a new Thread on the Mil-Pil Forum, OP!

3: Can you please give us more background/info about the First Partisan ship? It seems to be one of those forgotten happenings in WW2, well worth remembering!

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I think these are the lugs, in which case it is probably this model with that dial (assuming size and movement match).

From the Omega Museum

GENTS' LEATHER STRAP

Reference
MI 2213

International collection
1943-1946

Movement
Type: Manual winding (mechanical)
Caliber number: 26,5
Created in 1932
15 jewels

Case :
Round (30,5 mm diameter)
For leather straps of 16 mm lug-size

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Yes, Swedish market only. Some collectors say that one was bought by the Swedish Army too, other say you could buy it in thecivilian market too.

Suveran means "superior" or similar.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Cool Swedish market example, I haven't seen the Suveran back marking before.

Hmmm, how do you type in the 'a' with dots above? I can only do the norwegian æ, ø and å...

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
That letter is on the Swedish style keyboard. I have a US/UK one, so I can not do it. (the computer possibly can, but I do not know how!)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Cool Swedish market example, I haven't seen the Suveran back marking before.

Hmmm, how do you type in the 'a' with dots above? I can only do the norwegian æ, ø and å...
If you're using windows go to Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Character Map

If you don't have the Character Map program you might have to install it from the Windows CD.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts