WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a pocket watch my grandfather inherited from his godmother after her husband passed. My grand ma gave it to me recently since she knew my grandpa would’ve wanted me to have it. I gave it a couple winds and it fired right up but after that I just let it sit because it hadn’t been serviced in who knows how long.

67BDDEC2-A1F4-4376-A51E-58989001E819_1532669453775.jpeg 56109189-AFE3-471F-82A6-FE56555F3732_1532669472335.jpeg 1B812680-052E-44C1-B25C-778C64FCF156_1532669486404.jpeg

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,639 Posts
After those teaser shots, people are going to want to see movement shots- you know that, right?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After those teaser shots, people are going to want to see movement shots- you know that, right?
I can post some tomorrow. I was holding off till I got some time to black out the serial numbers. The movement is beautiful i can tell you that.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I can post some tomorrow. I was holding off till I got some time to black out the serial numbers. The movement is beautiful i can tell you that.
There's no (good) reason to hide the serial number for a watch as this, and the serial is handy to get info from the various lists/databases.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I do not get your intentions. You tell us that a pocket watch made by Elgin was going around in your family. Do you have any questions or was that it?

Based on the serial number, you can get all the information about age, type of movement etc. from the database. But you want to black out the serial number before showing any pictures. Why? Is someone not supposed to see it?

Are you perhaps afraid to show any valuables identifiable by the serial numbers? Be relaxed, a good pair of shoes would cost more.

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
If you're going to cripple our ability to give you useful information, maybe you should just do it yourself. Use Google to find any one of many online serial number databases for Elgin, or vintage pocket watches in general.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wasn’t looking for any information, I just wanted to share the watch with other members who might enjoy looking at it. I don’t like posting numbers , I have heard stories of people going on forums taking numbers and reporting watches stolen using those numbers or using those numbers on counterfeit watches, I would rather not contribute to that. Im not sure if that’s ever actually happened or if it’s just people talking out of their butts but I figured it best just to play it safe. The watch is locked up in my old room at my dads so I can’t get pictures at the moment any ways I’ll get pictures of the movement when I go over again tonight.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
What???

I want to spare me from any further comments, but believe me, if people would look for numbers to put it on counterfeit watches, that wouldn't be for simple and household Elgin watches but timepieces in a different league. And why should they use your number? They would take any suitable number for a specific model and year from a database, otherwise people would immediately discover a mismatch if it is not for the exact model (with all features of the movement described there) for which the number was issued. Faking such a watch (which is nonsensical anyway) and selling it, would result in a profit equivalent to a salary of 5 Cents per hour, more likely in a loss.

And then, honestly, why should someone report your watch (this watch) as stolen?

You are proud of your family heirloom, keep it well and enjoy it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What???

I want to spare me from any further comments, but believe me, if people would look for numbers to put it on counterfeit watches, that wouldn't be for simple and household Elgin watches but timepieces in a different league. And why should they use your number? They would take any suitable number for a specific model and year from a database, otherwise people would immediately discover a mismatch if it is not for the exact model (with all features of the movement described there) for which the number was issued. Faking such a watch (which is nonsensical anyway) and selling it, would result in a profit equivalent to a salary of 5 Cents per hour, more likely in a loss.

And then, honestly, why should someone report your watch (this watch) as stolen?

You are proud of your family heirloom, keep it well and enjoy it.
Please do spare your self from further comments save yout time and breath and my time from reading non constructive posts. Why would people do that....I can’t answer that why do bad people do any thing ? I just always like to play it safe and that’s a personal choice whether or not it’s justified or not. I’m not judging your personal choices I would appreciate if you didn’t judge mine as silly as they might be. I am proud of this and it will sit in my box and be passsd down after i am gone.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Sorry, the only non constructive post is yours. Why do you go to a watch forum where people have a deeper interest in watches and show the engravings of a bird on one side of the watch and the same bird again in another shade of gold, the dial, a family story how that was passed around and then nothing else to play it save? If that is all you can and want to show, which is your business, just don't show it. There are threads like WRUW where people provide more or less information about what they carry around on a particular day where this could go. But don't open a separate thread for that. Assuming that things are serious and sensible, most of us want to be helpful with identification etc. and are clicking on the link, just to find something of very little interest connected to the obscure refusal to show more.

I am not judging your personal choices how to handle this, I am simply judging your choice to show this here in such a fashion.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, the only non constructive post is yours. Why do you go to a watch forum where people have a deeper interest in watches and show the engravings of a bird on one side of the watch and the same bird again in another shade of gold, the dial, a family story how that was passed around and then nothing else to play it save? If that is all you can and want to show, which is your business, just don't show it. There are threads like WRUW where people provide more or less information about what they carry around on a particular day where this could go. But don't open a separate thread for that. Assuming that things are serious and sensible, most of us want to be helpful with identification etc. and are clicking on the link, just to find something of very little interest connected to the obscure refusal to show more.

I am not judging your personal choices how to handle this, I am simply judging your choice to show this here in such a fashion.
I do have every intention of posting more pics including the movement the lighting where it’s kept is really bad through out the whole house so that’s another reason I didn’t post more. The two bird pictures are front and back not the same picture in different shades. I will be going back over tonight I will take movement pictures and post them at that time. I’m sorry you felt like I was leading you guys on with little to no info. I am now interested in what that watch is and will leave the numbers intact for these pics

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
It was expensive if case is solid gold
What is the reason not to show the hallmarks? After that long story about the serial number, I wonder what's the obstacle now. All similar watches in that line have a 14K gold filled case (a lot of them also with birds engraved). Ok, it doesn't say '14kgf', whatever that is supposed to be.

For heaven's sake! What's the issue if that is 14K or 14K gold filled if we talk about a family heirloom? Who cares if it would be gun metal?

But then, we have a question '... Would you say this was an every mans watcg or somthing that was for more upperclassmen?' - right into the blue.

It could be both, regardless if gold filled/plated or 14K (555/1000).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Congratulation on receiving such a beautiful family heirloom. I have my grandfathers Longines wristwatch and while not of great monetary value, it has so much sentimental value. Enjoy your beautiful watch and ignore the negativity!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
Some cases say 14k, but are gold filled. It would help if you posted photos of the hallmarks. If it's solid gold, then it was obviously an expensive case, which would say something about the intentions of the buyer.

As for the watch itself, it would help to hear from one of the PW experts, but I'd say it's mid-level. Elgin is a good brand and the movement is attractive, but it's a small watch and the movement is not adjusted, so I'm guessing it's mid-grade.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It was expensive if case is solid gold
What is the reason not to show the hallmarks? After that long story about the serial number, I wonder what's the obstacle now. All similar watches in that line have a 14K gold filled case (a lot of them also with birds engraved). Ok, it doesn't say '14kgf', whatever that is supposed to be.

For heaven's sake! What's the issue if that is 14K or 14K gold filled if we talk about a family heirloom? Who cares if it would be gun metal?

But then, we have a question '... Would you say this was an every mans watcg or somthing that was for more upperclassmen?' - right into the blue.

It could be both, regardless if gold filled/plated or 14K (555/1000).
I dint post the hallmarks because they are really shallow small and not filled with so they are really hard to see let alone photograph. I tried but I couldn’t get a picture them

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
I dint post the hallmarks because they are really shallow small and not filled with so they are really hard to see let alone photograph. I tried but I couldn’t get a picture them
Yes, sometimes you need a macro lens for these things. I bought a cheap clip-on for my iPhone that works great. Others actually take a photo through a loupe or magnifier.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts