WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just thought I'd share some pictures of my grandfather's pocket watch, with the hopes someone might be able to tell me more about it.

My late grandfather received this from a "female acquaintance" of his, though much later than the receipt indicates it was purchased (1899).

It's not running at the moment, but I'm told it's still serviceable. The crystal seems to have been replaced by some plastic/acrylic material.

Anyway, here are some pictures. I wasn't brave enough to open it up and expose the movement.

Open:
imgur: the simple image sharer

Closed:

Original receipt:

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
Excellent watch! Usually opening the movement is relatively harmless but do what you are comfortable with.

Glashuette was/is a German watchmaking center. Anyone who makes watches there can use the name on the dial.

Acrylic crystals are common replacement crystals. Personally I prefer them to glass in pocket watches. I have never reached in my pocket and been stabbed by acrylic.

With a solid gold case, the lady must have really liked your grandfather! Nice piece.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Hm.. My post from 4 hours ago is gone. Did I offend somebody, did it get removed?

Anyway, it would be very nice to see a pic of the movement. I think you should go to a watchmaker and ask him to open it. Surely you are curious how it looks like?
I know it is a work of mecanical beauty!

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
Hm.. My post from 4 hours ago is gone. Did I offend somebody, did it get removed?

As one of the forum moderators I can see what the others did (in this forum). No moderation was done. I suspect what happened to you is what has happened to me far more than once - I get the post all edited up and ready to go, then I go on and forget to send it to the servers.

That or the dog ate your post... ;-)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd be happy to try opening it myself, if someone could explain it to me. Hopefully the pictures are clear enough to make an explanation possible. If not, I'll take it to one of the more reputable watch shops here in Ithaca. They were the ones who told me it was serviceable, so presumably they had a look at the the movement. I should have asked to look at it then, oh well!

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,892 Posts
Julius Assmann was one of the first workers of Ferdinand Adolph Lange and after finishing with AL set up his own business in Glashütte. The company factory was destroyed in 1927 and his heirs closed down the company in 1930. Glashütte Original now sort of continue the heritage by bringing out "Julius Assmann" special edition watches but have no direct links to the old company.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Wow, that's a very beautiful pocket watch. Your grandfather must have been very special to this lady.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
We have had some problems with the lines here on Island for a couple of months.
Since the 5.7 earthquake, that is. Nobody can explain what the problem is.
Possibly that was the reason.

(Or Hon. Mr Eeeb had a involuntary finger movement. During a Blonde second.. ;-):-d)

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I've examined the photos of the watch, and I believe it's just a hinged caseback.

The side of the watch with the angel and arrow on it has a SMALL indent at the top, under the crown (compare the two photos and you'll see what I mean). If I'm right, that's the prying-point to open the lid. If I'm wrong, then the prying point is on the other side of the watch.

*Shrug*

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You were right! It wasn't as hard to open as I thought. Thanks also to Erik H for the link.

Anyway, here are two pictures of the movement.

http://imgur.com/LObTg.jpg
http://imgur.com/uNcTe.jpg

I believe the lower inscriptions says "No. 12331".

I've examined the photos of the watch, and I believe it's just a hinged caseback.

The side of the watch with the angel and arrow on it has a SMALL indent at the top, under the crown (compare the two photos and you'll see what I mean). If I'm right, that's the prying-point to open the lid. If I'm wrong, then the prying point is on the other side of the watch.

*Shrug*

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I told you it was a beauty!!
Just check out the Swan neck regulator, the chatons, everything!
Pity about the Glashutte 3/4 plate.

Now, have it seviced by a competent watchmaker. It may be worth to replace the crystal too. This watch will for sure be passed down through the generations.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I just think it is a great pity to hide the works under such a large plate.
I am aware of the benefit (rigidity) but I just love seeing the workmanship!

My dislike is only about esthetics, nothing else.

It is not a lovely watch, it is super- duper- lovely!!:-!

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,892 Posts
Just check out the Swan neck regulator, the chatons, everything!
Elaborate fine regulation, bimetallic split balance, Breguet hairspring, what looks like a diamond rather than a ruby as a balance stone..... What more could one ask for?!

Hartmut Richter

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Elaborate fine regulation, bimetallic split balance, Breguet hairspring, what looks like a diamond rather than a ruby as a balance stone..... What more could one ask for?!

Hartmut Richter
Better visual axcess!!!!! :-d

A stupid question: This level of top watchmaking as we see in this example, compared to todays top watch makers (PP, ALS etc) is it better than today?
Not thinking of the technological evolution, but the workmanship itself.

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
Better visual axcess!!!!! :-d

A stupid question: This level of top watchmaking as we see in this example, compared to todays top watch makers (PP, ALS etc) is it better than today?
Not thinking of the technological evolution, but the workmanship itself.
Better tools make for better workmanship.

That's a generalization. I have absolutely no direct data having only media contact with that end of the watch industry.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Lovely Glashuette watch.
It was the typical Glashuette 3/4 plate that I was hoping to see and
I wasn't dissapointed...fine quality.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts