WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father gave me my grandfathers watch a few years ago when I finished up Grad School. I wore it once to my sisters wedding and then it went into my safety deposit box for safekeeping.
MY grandfather passed away when I was an infant and this is the only object I have of his to remember him by.
I fully plan on passing the watch on to one of my sons one day, in the meantime I know it is in a safe place.

So I just went to the bank to get something and decided to take a few pics of his beauty. They aren't the best as all I had was my iPhone, but I am pretty happy.

Can anyone tell me anything about this watch? My father believes it is from the late 40s or early 50s. It has the original box and manual as well.
Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Hi
Wittnauer an American company had a long term relationship as an importer of (among other manufacturers) Longines watches into USA.

This watch will have Longines movement
If you can give me the serial number from maybe the booklet or the movement, I can as Longines for the provenance of this watch, as they have all the handwritten recors

nice heirloom
enjoy
a

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
Wittnauer an American company had a long term relationship as an importer of (among other manufacturers) Longines watches into USA.

If you can give me the serial number from maybe the booklet or the movement, I can as Longines for the provenance of this watch, as they have all the handwritten recors

nice heirloom
enjoy
a
Thank you!
I will look for the serial number next time I get over there.

If anyone else has any other info, please share it

Thank you.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Thank you!
I will look for the serial number next time I get over there.

If anyone else has any other info, please share it

Thank you.
Pleasure
Not much more to share without serial no.
You can Google both Wiitnauer and Longines for company profiles.
Both were giants.
A

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Hi

nice heirloom
enjoy
a
Longines and Wittnauer were separate Swiss manufacturers that shared an American distribution network from the 1940's through the 1970's along with LeCoultre and Vacheron-Constantin.

Vintage Wittnauer watches will not have Longines movements, nor will the modern Longines factory be able to help identify them. The Wittnauer company went out of business in Switzerland years ago. I think that the old Wittnauer watches had generic Swiss movements from decent houses like ETA or Schlid. Cases of course were US made, and many may have been the same as Longines cases.

The Wittnauer name was bought by Bulova in 2002, but remember that the modern Bulova company is now part of Citizen Watch of Japan.

Wittnauer Bought by Bulova; Sector Group Sold, Restructured - JCK

I believe that Bulova shuttered the Wittnauer brand sometime around 2010. It is no longer listed on their website.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Gatorcpa.
Good point.
Maybe I jumped the gun by presuming that since this watch was BOTH in a Longines box and marked 'A LONGINES/Wiitnauer product', that it was a Longines movement. Possibly my bad.
A picture of the movement would confirm 100%
Seems strange Wittnauer would mark the box so strongly 'Longines' if the movement was not?

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Seems strange Wittnauer would mark the box so strongly 'Longines' if the movement was not?
Not strange at all. The name of the US company that imported both Longines and Wittnauer watches was "Longines-Wittnauer Co.", so the caption on the box is technically correct. The watches were still cased and timed in the US, by the definition of our government at the time, they were produced here.

It's nothing more than co-operative marketing,
gatorcpa

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
I never realized that they offered Non Longines movements with marketing of both names.
Yes casing and timing makes sense.
So if they sold say a Wittnaure watch with say a jaeger movement would the box still say Longines-Wittnauer?

·
Registered
18,169 Posts
So if they sold say a Wittnaure watch with say a jaeger movement would the box still say Longines-Wittnauer?
Well, who knows what boxes came with the watch when new...??!??

In the US for many years all of the Longines were advertised as Longines-Wittnauer but I think Wittnauer watches were advertised as just Witnauers... this would be a good question for the new advert books in the NAWCC library! They just put out a table of them and one was for just Longines.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Well, who knows what boxes came with the watch when new...??!??

In the US for many years all of the Longines were advertised as Longines-Wittnauer but I think Wittnauer watches were advertised as just Witnauers... this would be a good question for the new advert books in the NAWCC library! They just put out a table of them and one was for just Longines.
Yes exactly
I doubt a true 'Wittnauer' watch would have Longines on the box, then again I really dont know.
A picture of movement would identify it all.
regards

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
That's a rhetorical question, since I don't think any Wittnauer ever had a Jaeger-LeCoultre movement (or one marked LeCoultre). However, I do have a vintage 1960's LeCoultre jewelry box that is marked with stylized gold-leaf W's, which was the corporate logo of Wittnauer.

50ieswatchandjewelrybox.jpg

$(KGrHqZ,!ooFC7-v)Mj!BRrTrBMo)w~~60_3.JPG

As you can see, the inside of the box says nothing about Longines or Wittnauer.

jlc_image.2252928.jpg

But the instructions inside certainly did:

It's all very subtle marketing,
gatorcpa

1 - 11 of 11 Posts