WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings,

I own a Xavier Bossy (?) open face pocket watch, which has been handed down to me from my great-great-grandfather. Aside from what I've managed to uncover by sifting through various directories, bibliographies and dead internet forums (all French speaking), I have not been able to uncover much information on Xavier Bossy. I have not even located another Xavier Bossy pocket watch (if you have one, I'd love to see an image). This watch has no movement number, only Xavier Bossy maker's mark and a serial number which I cannot interpret.

You can see it has the German Moon/Crown symbol which suggests it was for the German market. That makes sense because my great-grandfather was Swiss-German. It also has the 0,800 silver symbol used by the Swiss evaluation.

I know Xavier Bossy registered his company in 1848, and located his establishment at 6 rue des Chambrettes (current rue Pasteur) or rue de l'Arsenal (currently Jean-Jacques Rousseau), Besancon, France. There were 3 subsequent generations of watchmakers , Léon Bossy, Georges Bossy and Roger Bossy. The workshop was transferred in the 1880s to 20 rue Proudhon. Records show that Xavier Bossy became President of the
"CHAMBRE SYNDICALE DES FABRICANTS B^HORJLOOERIE DE BESANÇON" on the 9th, January 1881. An archive of that meeting was found here:

Full text of "Revue chronométrique"

In 1891, Léon Bossy transferred his watchmaking workshop to the ground floor of a building located at 9 rue de Lorraine (unclear as to whether he had his own workshop or if it was his fathers). Between 1877 and 1890, Léon Bossy was associated with Eugène Victor Jeanneret within the general partnership Bossy Fils et Jeanneret. A last change of domicile therefore took place in 1891, when Léon Bossy set up the watchmaking workshop in a building built around 1880 at the intersection of rue d'Alsace and rue de Lorraine. Here is a view of the building.

Illustration number : IVR43_20182500859NUC4A - Date : 2018 - Author : Jérôme Mongreville.
Bourgogne-Franche-Comté region, Heritage inventory, ADAGP

Léon Bossy is perhaps more well known because he created the Andromède and SYT brands.

I cannot locate any documentation prior to this. Nothing about Xavier Bossy.

After the Second World War, Georges Bossy was assisted by his sons Bernard and Roger, then joined by Jacques, in the SARL Bossy Fils. The company assembles high-end mechanical watches (SYT brand) or more common models (TYS), but no longer manufactures movements and components. In the 1960s, the company employed nine people (including five at home). It sells supplies and tools, and has a repair shop. At the very end of the 1970s, the company bought the Perfex brand (Ets Froidevaux,IA25001751). The workshop declined and diversified into the sale of watchmaking supplies. The company left the premises in 1990. I cannot find a trace after this. I don't know if this information helps anybody else.

If anybody here has information pertaining to the life of Xavier Bossy, it would be greatly appreciated. He has been quite elusive to me....

I'm also looking for a way to interpret the number "V 148241." I have found it problematic so far, given the total lack of a Xavier Bossy serial database.

I am not a watch expert by any means. Apologies for any silliness in my post.

Finally, here is the face.

Attachments

·
Registered
624 Posts
Policy is no valuations on these forums.
but probably whatever the silver is worth + sentimental value
Get it serviced, nice heirloom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Policy is no valuations on these forums.
but probably whatever the silver is worth + sentimental value
Get it serviced, nice heirloom
Thank you, I've edited the post to reflect that policy.
I feel like the sentimental value is enough justification to get it serviced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To be clear, I'm only after information on Xavier Bossy and help with interpreting the serial number.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A great research work, but this watch was built by Favre Freres of Cormoret Switzerland factory founded in 1883 whose brand were two crossed FF.
regards enrico View attachment 15877615
According to this source I came across, Xavier Bossy did work with the Favre Brothers. However, the makers mark is listed as Xavier Bossy. I'm unclear on the extent of their association.

Not assuming this is correct, I'm just sharing what I've found.

Could the mark actually be an X? Admittedly, I always thought it looked like two F's. And it doesn't actually say X.Bossy over the top. Still, the resemblance is interesting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have not found any commercial relationship with Favre Freres.
regards enrico
I'll have a look through my sources to see if I can pinpoint a reference to the relationship. Here is the first note I found on it:

I can read German. However it's also easily translatable. The website is www.mikrolisk/trademarks

I'm not sure how reputable it is. Will do some more searching.

P.S So wonderful to see a similar watch to mine! Thank you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts