WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had 3, two digital solar atomic and one digi analog solar atomic. The two digital stopped charging and I gave away the last one to a friend hoping he'd have better luck. His hasn't died yet. None of the watches were that old, one of the dead ones was less than two years old. Just wondering how long they they are supposed to last. I had two of the model at the bottom. both died.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Both digitals are completely dead. Did not know you could replace a cell on the solar models. Anyhow it should last longer than a couple years i'd think.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
If you'd have left them in a window sill in the sunlight for a couple of days they might well have come back to life.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, one of them has been sitting in a window sill for months now. Still dead, I just tried to wake it up.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Did they die with any kind of charge in them at all? Might be a stupid question, but did they get much sunlight? Or just live on ambient indoor lighting?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always stored them near a window. Shades are always open. In the summer they were outdoors for hours at a time and I'm a t shirt guy in summer.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My eco drives have been happy living in the same environment. Not bashing any brands here, I just wanted mine to work.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Both digitals are completely dead. Did not know you could replace a cell on the solar models. Anyhow it should last longer than a couple years i'd think.
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/how-change-ctl1616-rechargeable-battery-41076.html

There are quite a few threads around here where we have tried to guess how long the "new" generation of solar cells is going to last -- unfortunately, we only have limited data.

Some of the oldest solar G's only lasted a few years, which was apparently due to a flaw in the batteries themselves. Casio went back to the manufacturer, the problem was addressed, and since then there hasn't been another "mass extinction" of newer solar G's. Best (and educated) guesses --which are just that -- suggest that they should last at least ten years and possibly twice that, as long as they stay mostly charged and on "Medium" or "High."

Unfortunately, as noted, all we have is limited data and anecdotal evidence: "my [insert model number] is seven/eight/nine years and still mostly stays on 'High' -- so far so good!"

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Looking at the other thread, I'm not going to try replacing the cell. I'll just get a different G.
Having already taken apart an MTG-900 and a GW-6900, I don't think changing the battery in a rechargeable solar is any more difficult than in a watch with a "normal" battery. It's probably easier than changing the multiple batteries in my Pathfinder!

·
Premium Member
13,982 Posts
Speaking from experience in changing out the CTL-1616 I my WS-220. It is as simple as changing a regular battery. The process is exactly the same, simple and easy.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts