WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear forum members,

This is my latest watch purchase experience that I wanted to share with you:

Since August, I've been searching for a new watch. After surfing and reading alot, I narrowed my choice to the Aviation Chronograph.

As I was planning a trip to Europe and would be in Munich, so I figured I should make the arrangements to pick up the watch directly at Steinhart's in Augsburg.

After a few emails, it was settled, although the watch had limited stock, Mr Steinhart told me he would have one for me at the time I would visit. He also offered to pick me up at the train station.

As I had read in previous posts, I knew this was an option he offered to clients. "Just call the office before you get there and I'll pick you up.", he wrote.

So a few weeks pass and I am now in Munich, getting ready to go to visit Steinhart's. I chose to call ahead, seeing that the Aviation Chrono was out of stock on their website, I didn't want the make the trip for nothing...

After figuring out how to make the call, I talked to the charming secratary , explained that I wanted to pick up an Aviation Chronograph. She puts me on hold to check for me...

"I'm sorry, we are out of this model..."

My heart stopped!

"Are you sure? I had made arrangements with Mr Steinhart..." As Mr Steinhart was in a meeting, she asked me to call later, which I did.

"Hello, I just called earlier, for the Aviation Chronograph..?"
"Yes, just a moment please."

"Gunter Steinhart here! Yes I remember you, I had your watch in my desk, that's why she could not find it! What time will you be arriving in Augsburg?"

Next thing I knew, my wife and I were being driven around by Gunter Steinhart!

The afternoon flew by. We spent almost three hours talking, well... probably more listening...about how he started in the business, how he is a fan of watches, what drives him to produce quality watches at an honest price and how he respects the artisans envolved in the whole watch making process.

We were impressed by his generosity in sharing stories, showing us his sketches and prototypes.

I was temped to try all the watches in the showcases, like a child in a candy store...

Long story short...I am now the proud owner of a hand delivered Steinhart watch!

I wish everyone the chance to meet Gunter Steinhart and his staff in person, if not, to at least wear one of his watches!

View attachment 537781

View attachment 537790 View attachment 537792

Attachments

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Very cool story! Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to go to germany and buy a steinhart just for the experience. Steinhart's are great watches. I have owned a couple and I was amazed at the value!

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Very, very cool. However, you probably shouldn't have posted the details of your Aviation purchase here. There are those here who will see the disproportionate amount of time that Herr Steinhart spent with you as having been better spent replying to post-purchase emails. No wonder Steinhart's customer service is really poor, he's too busy picking them up from train stations. ;-)

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
oh. i remember you Now !. (we had Exchanged a couple of PMs a few Months ago about your Trip to Germany.;-))

WOW, i like that. a Watch with a Great Story :) .. to me IT IS MORE THAN JUST A WATCH .!!. The Experiece You've had is Priceless :-!. it is a Real Pleasure to the Man himself.

Congratulations on this Beautiful Aviation. and BTW, the Strap looks Gorgeous.. Matches Perfectly with the Dial.
wear it in good health..

Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
542 Posts
Such a great story! Thanks for sharing, it was so cool to see such a personal insight into the steinhart offices. Gunter and co. seem like such great people. I love that hes wearing an apollon!
Looks like the Apollon chrono. I wonder how different it will look compared to the three hand model? I normally don't buy 2 of the same watch, but I like my Apollon so much that I am really considering it.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Congrats spotvi..... You have had quite the experience, good for you mate. I am sure you would have noticed how humble & generous a man he is in the time you spent with him. When you speak with him you realise it isn't all about the actual watch but the whole experience. Did he say all he wants is for 'everyone to wear a Steinhart'..? He is passionate about watches, no doubt about it.

Very, very cool. However, you probably shouldn't have posted the details of your Aviation purchase here. There are those here who will see the disproportionate amount of time that Herr Steinhart spent with you as having been better spent replying to post-purchase emails. No wonder Steinhart's customer service is really poor, he's too busy picking them up from train stations. ;-)
Thanks Uwe, nearly fell off my chair........:-d

Looks like the Apollon chrono. I wonder how different it will look compared to the three hand model? I normally don't buy 2 of the same watch, but I like my Apollon so much that I am really considering it.
Nice pickup there.... Yes, he is wearing one of the prototype Apollon Chronographs. They are actually close to being ready so keep an eye out fella's. The dial isn't at all busy compared to the non chrono Apollon & in my opinion is better looking than the standard model.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yes, he is wearing one of the prototype Apollon Chronographs. They are actually close to being ready so keep an eye out fella's. The dial isn't at all busy compared to the non chrono Apollon & in my opinion is better looking than the standard model.
That's good to hear. I'm holding out hope that he makes them in a couple different colors. Champagne or white or anything lighter than my three hand version. Although a black dial might work also. I'm also wondering if the bezels will be the same. The intrigue is killing me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did he say all he wants is for 'everyone to wear a Steinhart'..?
I do not recall those exact words, but he did say that he wants to provide great watches at an "honest" price .

Thanks everyone for reading and glad you enjoyed the story.

Cheers,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts