WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

My hideously-amazing, gaudishly-yellow Orient Star Somes edition

4K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  asmd 
#1 ·
Well, she finally came in from Japan, y'all. I posted last week about the wonders of Yahoo Japan Auctions and Buyee, and this is my second successful transaction on the site. Shipping was about $30 total from Japan, which was entirely reasonable, and the watch was here roughly a week after I ordered it. Again, totes reasonable.

So, without further ado, let me proudly show off my hideously-amazing, gaudishly-yellow Orient Star Somes edition. These yellow ones are downright impossible to track down, but it was really the only version that appealed to me. I wear two watches 98% of the time (an Oris and a Ball), and they still fit the bill of "I really only need these two watches for my entire life" -- but I was really, really drawn to this as more of a statement watch that plays along nicely with my bolder prints and jackets and such.

This is my first Orient Star and I was excited because everybody that has them raves about them. I'm only ten minutes in with this one, but I am 100% feeling it. Something for everybody, right??

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Watch Watch accessory Strap Wrist Analog watch

Wrist Strap Fashion accessory Buckle Watch

Jeans Belt Strap Buckle Denim

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Wrist

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

See less See more
#4 ·
Ooof! That yellow!
That's not bad, really. What's bad is how high up from the bottom of the dial the sub-seconds is. Reminds me of an old man hiking his trouser waist above his belly. I guess that's what happens when everyone wants a bigger watch but the watch companies don't want the expense of enlarging the movement.

#9 ·
Yeah the pictures just don't do this ol' girl justice. The yellow is so deep, the indices catch the light from every angle, and the case fits my wrist so well. The sides are polished and the top is brushed, but it's verrrrrry subtle and I like the contrast. And the Somes strap deserves all the attention it gets -- 4mm thick but still soft and pliable. Really takes the watch up a notch, but I wish I had the Somes strap in brown, too, just to have the option to switch. But I don't have any nice black leather watches, so this fits a need.

Re: specs, I'm not too familiar with the movement itself, but I was able to find the overall watch specs from a post that's ten years old -- pasted below. It took me forever just to find the model number of the yellow one!

Thanks to all for the kinds words about this beautifully-ugly piece of horological art :)

Model No: WZ0051FR

List Price 52,500 Japanese Yen = currently US$474.00
• Stainless Steel case with solid end lugs with Somes leather strap
• 43mm case diameter, 45mm including crown
• 14mm width from case back to top of crystal
• 47mm tip of lug at 12 position to tip of lug at 6 position
• 33mm crystal diameter
• 20mm wide black strap. 4mm thick. Sewn in keeper loop
• Weight of 94 grams.
• Automatic winding. Non Hacking. Non hand-winding
• 21 Jewel automatic movement
• Power Reserve Indicator
• 40 hours reserve
• Accuracy +25 seconds ~ -15 seconds
• Spherical domed Sapphire glass crystal with non-reflective coating
• See through case back (composition of crystal unknown)
• Screw-down case back
• Waterproof 100 metres
• Luminescent hour, minute and power reserve hands and (hour) indices