WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
982 Posts
There was actually a Janata Luminous model which pre-dates the Art Deco Janata dial, but I don't think it's very common. It is effectively a white Pilot, long before the recent white Pilot. There have also been other Janatas with lumed hands (including some versions of Janata Deluxe, I think), but not often boat hands, and I don't think at all often on an Art Deco dial.

Ultimately, the dealer is of course right that HMT's mix and match approach created all sorts of variations, but many are undocumented, and it is often said that there are no official records. And it is also true that the hands are often changed post-manufacture.

A dealer showed me an HMT Janata art deco with lumed minute and hour hands like those of the Pilot. Usually we see needle non lumed hands on Janata. When I asked about the departure he attributed the same to the mix and match approach of HMT in using hour and minute hands of one model on another. Everything else on the dial was normal.
Wondering if that is really true.

· Registered
982 Posts
My impression is that the dial, hour and minute hands and case are probably original, but I will be interested to know from someone like Hari whether that impression is well-founded or not. The seller's photos are not the clearest, which doesn't help much and could easily hide some re-touching on the dial.

Well, it is a watch I came across on ebay. Link below

HMT Jawahar Machanical Very Rare Vintage Watch NEW Year | eBay

· Registered
982 Posts
I can confirm from some googling that there are some genuine Jawahar black dials with SHOCK PROOF, although PARA SHOCK seems to be the normal for this model as it is with the others I know of. If someone more knowledgeable can tell us more, I'll be very pleased to learn more.

My impression is that the dial, hour and minute hands and case are probably original, but I will be interested to know from someone like Hari whether that impression is well-founded or not. The seller's photos are not the clearest, which doesn't help much and could easily hide some re-touching on the dial.

· Registered
982 Posts
I think that might make some sense.

The slow sellers are probably less likely to have been hastily assembled from disparate parts.

A suggestion for buying on hmtonline website....the slow moving watches are usually good quality and well made items while the fast moving models like janata or pilot they are sending currently are of inferior quality(scratches, misaligned wheel, belt issues etc).....again this is based on my observation and it might be totally inaccurate as my observation is derived from sample size of just 1 piece that i receive out of hundreds they dispatch.

· Registered
982 Posts
It looks to have had a pretty hard life, but you did very well to start with a watch with an original dial!

Hey guys! I've recently acquired my first HMT via the internet.

It looks like all the parts are original HMT but might not have all come from the same watch. Not sure how the scratches on the dial came to be. Also there is writing on the inside of the back cover but I can't decipher it.

Here are a few pictures.

View attachment 9632330 View attachment 9632338 View attachment 9632346 View attachment 9632354

· Registered
982 Posts
Hi. Congratulations on your white Pilot LE. I have a non-LE version which has a screw-fit back, and it's one of my favourite HMTs. Unfortunately HMT press-fit backs tend to be rather difficult to re-fit to the watch. I bought a black Pilot with a press-fit back knowing that the crystal was cracked (probably for the same reason as yours is) and replaced it with the crystal from a problematic franken HMT. I wasn't sure how well it would fit, but it seems perfect and was even easier to fit than I had imagined. I'm sure it's possible to pick these up for next to nothing in India, but your best bet might be to transplant one from the cheapest, ugliest franken you can find on ebay.

My first HMT. I missed out on the White Pilot LE here in the forum at first but managed to buy from a fellow at a dutch watchforum. It had a spot of paint on the inside of the crystal and a hairlike spor of blue paint on the dial. Managed to remove those easily. Only when I snapped the casebacl back on I probably pressed the crystal too hard, because now there is a little crack on the edge between three and four o'clock. Does anybody know where to get a new crystal? I really LIKE the watch.

· Registered
982 Posts
I found before and after shots of my black Pilot, just for the hell of it! As you can see, I also had to reset the hands, and unfortunately I didn't do too well with cleaning the dust off the dial, but I am not going in there again for a while!

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

My first HMT. I missed out on the White Pilot LE here in the forum at first but managed to buy from a fellow at a dutch watchforum. It had a spot of paint on the inside of the crystal and a hairlike spor of blue paint on the dial. Managed to remove those easily. Only when I snapped the casebacl back on I probably pressed the crystal too hard, because now there is a little crack on the edge between three and four o'clock. Does anybody know where to get a new crystal? I really LIKE the watch.

· Registered
982 Posts
There's certainly a chance. No-one really knows just what is lurking in HMT's warehouses or how much of it remains. They have been showing the Kajal in stock recently, which, as you probably know, is basically the same watch with a gold dial and black case.
Any chance that Rajat may be available again at hmtwatches.in?

· Registered
982 Posts
Nice watch. The font of the day and date look just like those on the Rajat. Presumably your watch is fitted with a Miyota movement? Also, does the bezel rotate?

Dear Nimod Thank you very much and congratulations for your new watch. Yes hmt has very decent quartz watches too and IMHO quality is outstanding. Series like Inox, Track and Euan are my favorites. I have some selective number of quartz watches in my collection. Here i am sharing one of my favorites, Enjoy!

Model : hmt Track " UGSS 11"
Case Size : Approx 38mm w/o crown; 45 mm Lug to Lug
This watch is still available in stock at https://www.hmtwatches.in/1764/product-details/ugss-11-grey.html

View attachment 9903098

View attachment 9903114

View attachment 9903122

View attachment 9903130

· Registered
982 Posts
Kajal is a Rajat, except with a gold dial and a different, lighter case material in a black colour. It was in stock yesterday on the website.

Rajat Supreme and Kanchan Supreme watches are much larger and have very different dials, hands, and cases. They also use a different movement.

I think Kajal has similar dial as the old Rajat, with a case which looks similar to the new Rajat supreme but the Rajat Supreme also has a beautiful lattice-like design on its dial and this in particular makes it look very classic, especially with a white dial. Let's see if they put it up again.

· Registered
982 Posts

· Registered
982 Posts
I use the crystals from the cheapest/ugliest/worst-functioning ebay frakenwatches, but if there is a source outside India for the crystals, I hope someone may tell us here!

Hello HMT fans, My beloved pilot (that I moved into an older Janata case so I could get the drilled lugs) has a cracked crystal, could you lovely folks let me know where replacement crystals can be obtained from? Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 63 Posts