WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
4201 - 4220 of 6140 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
I have certainly read that, but like so much HMT information, it is hard to authenticate.

I wonder whether perhaps anybody here can tell me why some examples of the HMT Automatic are marked "day-date"? I would also love to know when they were introduced, and when they morphed into or were renamed (I don't know which) Rajat.

wonderful piece of HMTs history. Someone told me that the initial 6500 was a bidirectional winding watch, later it was modified to be unidirectional winding only, thus the U on the later dials.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,203 · (Edited)
I have certainly read that, but like so much HMT information, it is hard to authenticate.

I wonder whether perhaps anybody here can tell me why some examples of the HMT Automatic are marked "day-date"? I would also love to know when they were introduced, and when they morphed into or were renamed (I don't know which) Rajat.

wonderful piece of HMTs history. Someone told me that the initial 6500 was a bidirectional winding watch, later it was modified to be unidirectional winding only, thus the U on the later dials.
Current Citizen (Miyota) movements are unidirectional winding including the 90xx series. However I was able to lay my hands on some old citizen manuals. From what I understood from those manuals, some of their older movements appear to be ofbidirectional winding type. Here is a relevant page describing the auto winding of the citizen 6500. It appears to be bidirectional.

Now the story goes that an engineer at Hmt modified the hmt 6500 (6501?) to wind in just one direction, thus the U dials. I am not sure how to verify that. :) must take it for what it is worth.

This engineer later went on to rise to a good position at Titan. Again, hearsay for what it is worth.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Today i took my hmt Roman watch (extreme right in the above pic) to a titan showroom for battery replacement. Upon entering the showroom i walked up to reception desk and handed over my watch to the receptionist there. Immediately taking my watch in her hand, she looked at me with surprise ;) She read the case back, checked whether the bezel rotates or not...looks like she was flabbergasted upon seeing this unique piece :p. Later she took the watch to another room where an aged gentleman (repairer) was seen busy with many watches on his desk. As i can see through the glass wall, both of them started some sort of conversation over this watch. I can clearly see her hand gesture saying to that gentleman that its a fantastic watch and she showed him the bezel rotating. Even that gentleman looked at me while he was in conversation with that lady. I felt in my heart that "THIS IS CALLED HMT WATCHES.....DESH KI DHADKAN" . Upon battery replacement i came out from there happily :) :)

4201 - 4220 of 6140 Posts