WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
6,141 - 6,160 of 6,201 Posts
My two favorite HMT watches.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Silver

Watch Analog watch Clock Material property Font

Both these watches came refurbished from eBay and after almost a year of having them they still run quite well. However, the Kohinoor does run a few minutes fast a day. :ROFLMAO: But hey it's easy to readjust the time. I love the big numbers on the "Pilot" watch, and it keeps excellent time.

Discussion starter · #6,142 ·
the Kohinoor does run a few minutes fast a day.
if you have access to a watch timing app like the watch accuracy meter on the play store or better still a watch timimg machine, you can read off the amplitude the balance wheel is making. 200 ish or more than that is good and you can simply regulate down the Kohinoor.

Hello All!
I’m always hesitant to trust my judgment on an eBay HMT, but I tried my luck on an art deco Janata, which arrived today. It looked legit in the listing. I was curious about the age. The patina and shape of the “Janata” lettering caught my eye. Surely our more knowledgeable folks here can tell me if I was way off and, maybe, shed some light on the code on the back. Thanks in advance!

Brown Watch Light Material property Camera accessory

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Font

Discussion starter · #6,144 ·
Hello All!
I’m always hesitant to trust my judgment on an eBay HMT, but I tried my luck on an art deco Janata, which arrived today. It looked legit in the listing. I was curious about the age. The patina and shape of the “Janata” lettering caught my eye. Surely our more knowledgeable folks here can tell me if I was way off and, maybe, shed some light on the code on the back. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 17076860

View attachment 17076859
the dial might be aftermarket. the made in India 0231 is more widely spaced out usually. the HMT screen print was very finely applied with very thin line weights. Aftermarket dials have excess ink bleed. The very first post of this thread shows a legit Art Deco dial, you may check it out.
WFT indicates Watch factory Tumkur. aka WF4.
09 might probably mean the case back was made in a lot in 2009.

Hi Hari,

Thank you for weighing in. I had similar concerns regarding the weakness of printing. I had attributed it to age (maybe just hoped it was age). I don’t know if this is relevant, but I have never seen an obvious repainted dial where the “Janata” had quite that shape. Couple that with the overall yellowing/patina, I thought perhaps this watch might be an earlier incarnation of the design.

I found a place with a similar watch along with a few other small-printed “Made in India” designs. Neither this seller nor the one I bought this Janata from were littered with obvious repainted dials.

Discussion starter · #6,148 · (Edited)
6,141 - 6,160 of 6,201 Posts