WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1M views 6K replies 498 participants last post by  TempusHertz 
#1 ·
HMT Tarun: Tarun is the Hindi word for Youth and this watch is meant, I suppose, for the very young watch users. I bought this watch for a friend and a fellow WIS.

The Tarun with a new Janata that I bought today, again for a fellow WIS:

This Janata has a pressfit case back, my other art deco Janata has a screw back, so I guess it depends on what case stocks HMT has at hand while assembling the watches.

Cheers,
Hari

See less See more
#2 ·
I like them both but I am especially impressed with the look of the Janata. A Janata is sure on my "want one" list :)

Congratulations, Hari! :-!

#3 · (Edited)
Hi Hair,
These are really nice ones.:-!

Do not expect screw backs now, they can't afford to give
screw backs in these prices, watches are all from new production.

Also notice plated cases, they are not polished ones.

As many WUSer are already complaining about HMT pricing how can you expect same old quality.

I always say "there's no magic, if want quality, you have to pay for it"

With Wishes
AkshayB

#5 ·

Also notice plated cases, they are not polished ones.
True, I have both the examples, HMT that way is very precise, case backs specifically state "SS back" or "All SS" as the case may be.

I always say "there's no magic, if want quality, you have to pay for it"

Convey that to HMT as well, I am prepared to pay them more.

Thanks!
Hari

#8 ·
My Dad's old Janata that he bought in '65:

Salient Features:

• Crown design is radically different from current ones.
  • Drilled through lugs
  • Metal spacer for movement.
  • Excellent engraving quality on the movement
  • The movement is relatively clean as compared to the dial and crystal.
  • Case back inside has been nicely finished.

The watch was bought from New Delhi in 1965 for approx 95 INR, was serviced at Kanpur in 1975 and again in Pune at Ct Pundole and sons in 1980(From the markings on the case back inside aided by Dad's memory).

I will be getting it serviced again this week by HMT in Mumbai.

Cheers,
Hari

#9 ·
wow, finally we see this watch. I thought for a while, you forgot. I like the crown very much.

I guess, you could just drop in current janta dial, replace crystal and have case buffed, the watch will have fresh look. However, it will destroy its vintage character.

#12 ·
Hi Hari,
I that's a shot, I know how happy you might be feeling to get this. I enjoyed this Janata wait.

Any ways be care full when asking for cleaning dial, it should be cleaned with a very soft cotton swab otherwise there is chance of losing dial paint.

With Wishes
AkshayB

#27 · (Edited)
I don't have something against handwritten script, it's the fact that it's out of character for the rest of the watch. They chose a bold design statement with those ultra modern numerals and minimalist case...and then threw it out the window in order to keep their more "classic" proprietary Janata font. I can understand why, it just isn't a cohesive aesthetic move. Sort jumps out at my eye like a sore thumb.

I agree that the script works much better on the pilot, and it works really, really well on Pankaj.

#47 ·
I want one so much!! :p:p:p
These look so much better than the ones on eBay.
If HMT makes them for the $40 price range and sells Internationally, I know people would be in line to buy. Their current selection is no good. Why, oh Why??:-s

#39 ·
Hari, now you're talking. Those Kaushal's look fantastic. Like the numbers on Taurus. :-!

What is the dia of Kasushal?
Thanks for the comments, Munno, the size is same as Sona small.
Hari, how ever did you get into the warehouse? Maybe you can find some of the more elusive models everyone's been looking for, like the rarely-seen white Pilot.

Personally, I may be ready to look at one of the HMT automatics. Would anyone have a recommendation on a model?

Mike
Mike, I did not actually enter the warehouse:). I have been picking the brains of the staff of the Local HMT outlet, they had a bit of unsold stock from before the quartz onslaught era. most of this stock was being stored at a warehouse. Every outlet does an annual" stock taking", this is basically an inventory list. Since I am an insistent customer, I was shown this list and I could pick the watches that I wanted from this. So after a few months of incessant hounding by me, the staff finally managed to recover these watches(Kaushal and Taurus) for me. No I have already looked, they do not have the White Pilot and any more Kaushals or Pinakis(another hard to find model).

I heartily recommend a HMT Rajat Automatic, even if it will be the only HMT auto that one would own. It is that good.

Congrats Hari....Taurus looks amazing.....had it a 4th date hand, it would have been a great deal!!.....These must be purchased from dadar showroom...am i right??
yes, thats correct. I was hoping that the Taurus that was buried in their warehouse would be the 4 hand version posted by Gigfy, but it was this one(again shown by gigfy to be an export variant).

BTW, they have dug out one Kailash(see AkshayB's posts) and a Vivek also. They also now have ample stocks of the White/Black and Gold Sona and the Kohinoor in all colors.

Good luck!

Hari

#37 ·
The photos aren't appearing for me -- could be my computer, it's been acting up lately.

Hari, how ever did you get into the warehouse? Maybe you can find some of the more elusive models everyone's been looking for, like the rarely-seen white Pilot.

Personally, I may be ready to look at one of the HMT automatics. Would anyone have a recommendation on a model?

Mike

#42 ·
Documenting a variant of the Humble HMT Dilip Automatic. The Dilip is usually seen with golden hands, indices and date window trim. This one features an all steel trim. The dial is more white as opposed to the grayish dial of the GT Dilip. the printing and font is slightly different.

This watch is also a dead stock find from the warehouse.

so which one do you like better?

Cheers!
Hari

#44 ·
Updating this thread after a long time. Bought this yellow dial variant of the Chirag that I never knew existed. The catalog shows only the fade Brown and the fade Blue. I have documented the Brown Chirag in this excellent thread by Albertatime: link

I found this watch sitting quitely and neglected at the HMT factory outlet at Pune yesterday.

Cheers!
Hari

#46 ·
I found this watch sitting quitely and neglected at the HMT factory outlet at Pune yesterday.

Cheers!
Hari
GREAT catch!!