WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Small history about me and how I chose the Lum-tec Combat B3:
At 31 years old, I’ve always been into watches since a teenager. I’ve never had less than 4 watches, albeit on a college kid’s budget, my collections usually consisted of Seikos, Fossils, Timex, Victorinox, and Casio. I knew as my passion for watches grew someday I would eventually have to spend more than $100 to get a truly unique time piece. Compared to everything I’ve had until this point it’s not a cheap watch, and I wanted to make sure I spent my money wisely.

For years I told myself “If I ever spend the money, I’m going to buy a Stowa!” Stowa, to me, was the pinnacle of beauty in the ‘affordable/sensible’ price range. So after studying the reviews, carefully weighing my options and debating and comparing models for an eternity, I emptied the piggy-bank and counted the pennies and decided the Stowa Antea 390 was the way to go... so naturally I bought a Lum-tec.

(I originally bought the Lum-tec C1, but parted with it after a few weeks. 100% due to it’s size, nothing to do with its craftsmanship or quality. It just looked small on my wrists for some reason.)

Part of the lure of the Lum-tec brand is their close proximity to my hometown where I grew up in Northeast Ohio. It’s special to me to support a lesser known company like Lum-tec than to fork over my $$ to a German company like Stowa whom I have no ties to. Even now, living in Ohio, it’s fun to tell people that the watch I am wearing was made right here in my home state, just a couple hours north of here. b-)

Like so many others, I am also attracted to the limited number of units made. I like knowing my B3 is very small in quantity, and chances are I will never see another person with one on their wrist. Victorinox, Seiko, and Swatch are a dime a dozen – the B3 is special.

Another big selling point for me was how Chris stands solidly by his product. You just don’t see the president of Stowa slumming it out on the message boards soliciting customer feedback about new models, answering questions, or helping customers understand the movements, strap sizes, or chrono functions. It really does feel like a family, or at a minimum, a friend. Before I spent the money I saw how dedicated a lot of the Lum-tec owners on are, which was another hint that this was going to be a good experience.

Ordering the watch was easy, all it took was a phone call. Simple.
Shipping arrived right on time, and the package was well packed.
The watch arrived in a nice plush leather case with authenticity card.
Included were the standard 2 colored NATO straps.

Size
Prior to owning the Lum-tec Combat B3 the largest watch I owned was 38mm, so the step up to a 43mm case was a big difference. I think the 43mm size is perfect on my wrist, but I understand it may be too large for others. It looks large, but not obnoxious like something Puff Daddy would wear. With the right strap, it wears very comfortably and is not a chore to wear.

Construction
The case is thick and weighty, but does not hinder putting my hands in my pocket or catching on jacket sleeves. The bead blasted finish on the B3 really looks classy, and the polished crown adds a nice contrasting glimmer. The purpleish anti-reflective coating actually works, and it looks cool too. :-!

The textured bezel surrounding the front is beautiful. I took a picture of it and photoshopped a normal, solid edge around it and it just didn’t look as good. The guys at Lum-tec hit a homerun with this design style! It looks elegant now, and I’m sure will look elegant 20 years from now. Timeless!

The light yellowish/green lettering really stands out well on the black face. Accompanying the numbering is the LUM-TEC name & some small text right below the 12. The words “Combat B3” are in red above the 6, and the date is at the 4 o’clock position. It all blends together for a very understated, clean look.

Readability
This was huge for me. We all know the virtues of the luminous glow but it really is something to behold in person. I really appreciate the uncluttered face on the Combat B3, the fonts are all the right size and the numbers easy to read. If anything, I wish the hands were a little “fatter” but that is nit picky. The “glow” pictures you see online are probably taken 2 seconds after pulling the light source away, so don’t expect that ultra-high brightness to last forever. But what IS nice is how you can glance over at the watch in the middle of the night, hours after the last exposure to sun light (or any light) and be able to easily make out the time accurately. Even the second hand has lume on it!! Sweeeet!

No disrespect to the Lum-tec photographers, the pictures on the website do this watch no justice. I think it really is something you have to see to appreciate.

Wearability
Using the standard NATO straps that came with it are a mixed bag. I didn’t think I would like the straps when I bought it, but it turns out I actually DO like the green color, just not the way the strap wears. Because of how the strap sits below the watch itself, it “raises” the watch up from your wrist a little bit. I don’t care for this, but it’s to be expected with these types of straps. The NATO straps themselves are of good quality and seem very durable, I had no problem with the lengths for my 7.5” wrist, if you are into those type of straps.

Minor dislikes
A part of me really likes the twin barrel soviet military movements found in other Lum-tec models. Not for any technical reason, I just think it adds a whole other level of ‘cool’ factor to it. Not that there’s anything wrong with the Seiko Japan NH25A11J automatic movement that is in the Combat B3, it’s just not as charming as the soviet movement. It’s like having a little piece of history on your wrist. I freely admit to not knowing enough about the NH25A11J to talk down on it. It may very well be a rugged & reliable movement that will last forever. Being able to say “The insides of my watch are made from old soviet watches” is a great conversation piece and adds something special to the experience.

In closing
I love the Lum-tec Combat B3 because of it’s uniqueness, readability, and it’s versatility. Meaning if I slap the B3 on a rustic hand-stitched leather strap with white stitching it will look awesome. If I slap the B3 on a classy black leather leather strap it will look awesome. If I slap the B3 on a stainless steel bracelet it will look awesome. There are just so many combinations of straps & bracelets to wear with this and each one makes it looks excellent. Having this flexibility will keep me happy for years.

I bought the Lum-tec Combat B3 with every intention of keeping it forever and making this a family heirloom. Just recently my wife and I celebrated the birth of our 1st child, a baby girl. When we packed our bags for the hospital I could have grabbed any one of the many watches from my dresser – but I specifically chose the Lum-tec for all the reasons I mentioned above. When I had to keep accurate count of the contractions, and how far apart they were, I counted on the Lum-tec. When I lifted my head at 4am to see how long it had been since the last feeding I could count on seeing the time, every time, without having to turn on a light.

Maybe someday I will get that Stowa Antea 390 I’ve always wanted. But for now, I am 110% satisfied with my Combat B3 and looking forward to adding more straps to my collection for various looks. Plus, it’ll be neat someday to give this watch to my daughter (or her husband) and say “This is the watch I was wearing the moment you were born.”

·
Sinn Moderator
9,709 Posts
That is a fine review of a great watch, ka-boom! You will enjoy that watch for years to come. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To keep with my review, I am obligated to include some details that I have posted on the WTF as well.

During the time spent taking the pictures, it was the first time really wearing the Lum-tec Combat B3 outdoors in good sun light as opposed to household & office lighting and I noticed something(s) that I could not see under normal kitchen lighting.

There are 6 or 7 tiny pieces of debris or fuzz between the 32 and 38 minute markers. These are not ON the crystal, but under, or in between the layers (or whatever) unfortunately. This is not a deal breaker, but the past couple times I've looked at the face, my eyes zero right in on those pieces of fuzz. Dang it.

So I let the fine people at Lum-tec know, and they graciously took it back to clean the debris out free of charge. 25 minutes in line with the holiday crowds at the post office, and $15 to send it out, the watch arrived back in my hands with the debris removed from the 32-38 minute markers only to have a NEW, bigger, piece of junk in it at the 42 minute marker.

Maybe this piece was stuck to the bottom of one of the minute hands and wasn't detected during packaging to send back to me, because I don't know how the guys at Lum-tec missed it. I could see it through the protective film on the face as soon as I opened the package.

For the record, Chris as Lum-tec has offered for me to send it back again to have it cleaned, but I noticed yesterday after wearing it about 7 hours the piece of junk is gone now. I don't know if it fell off and stuck to the bottom of the hour hands, or, if it fell inside the date display window. But I will send it off to Lum-tec to be cleaned within the next week.

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great job on the review!

What size is your wrist? I'm looking for a Lum-Tec Combat and was wondering how it would fit my 7.75" wrist.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: I got the watch back from the fine folks at Lum-tec and it is clean as a whistle now. Perfect! :-!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New pics!

On my way out of the office, I snapped a couple with my pocket camera.

Then I set up the wireless flashes and stuff when I got home.

And some lume shots for good measure.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Tremendous review, with some nice personal touches. Photos are excellent. I agree that investing in an heirloom-quality (extremely) limited edition watch from a family business located in the US is pretty exciting.

I have been eyeing the B2 (PVD finish), but now interested in the B3 (SS bead blasted finish). Deciding if I should buy now or wait for the reserve list to come out and pick up a B6 or B12!

enjoy your new watch and baby!

·
Registered
29 Posts
First of all, sorry for digging up this old thread!

Great great review on the B3, thanks for that :-!

I'm really thinking about posting a WTB in the sales corner, but haven't made up my mind yet...
Chances seem to be very low that someone wants to part with his :-(

Here's some things that I still am not sure of:
Maybe the 43mm are too big for my 7" wrist? Based in Europe I also couldn't just send the watch over to Ohio if anything needed fixing...

Do you take off your watch when showering or do you even swim with it on? The crown isn't screw-down after all, or is it?

Do you have anything to add to your review after another 6 months of wearing it?

May I ask what kind of strap that is in the first pictures (the brown leather strap)? It looks terrific on the B3!

Thanks, Marcus

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello this is my 2-3 post and i have been wondering what does lum tec say about how tight you should screw the crown down. I saw on their website that they have a double diamond sealing system. Anyone know how this works. I like their watches but always have trouble with screw down crowns.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Awesome review. Thanks for sharing the customer service story from Lum-Tec. Sounds like a company that I'd like to do business with.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts