WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently received these Dexter Sinister sample watches for examination and will consider adding them to my online shop. But what are your thoughts? What would be your favorite and why? I will give away one of these to one of you who take the time and effort to reply......

·
Registered
641 Posts
I liked the first and the last, but I don't think I would ever consider wearing the first one. It looks cool but does not look very comfortable at all. The second and third examples look like some kind of torture device to me. The last one has a nice cushion case and a large clear dial. I have no use for a GMT but it wouldn't deter me from a watch.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Ernie,

I think they will appeal to the younger crowd as they have an edginess to them, however the more traditional types are going to stay away. They are big and sturdy looking and if the quality is acceptable they will have a niche.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I find nothing all to exciting about any of the models, but thats just me.
The 1st three seem to modern with far to many straight edges for my taste. The last one just seems like the same ol' diver design rehashed.
Just my thoughts

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I would probably consider the last one. The others are not for me.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Have to kind of lean with the majority. None of them really impress me. If I had a gun to my head and had to pick one it would be the last one shown.

Smurfe :)

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Well for me I like what I see except the first one, although the large numbers and indices are easily legible the case looks to be too flat for wrist comfort, I'd totally pass on that one. I wonder though is the case curved at the bottom? Got a side shot of the 4 watches?

Now the second and third are drop dead funky, especially the third with it's bordeaux dial, great design on those with the recessed crown & buttons for protection and it looks by the lugs that they are shaped well for wrist support. These look really rugged.

The 4th although nice first reminded me of a Panny and it's case design is pretty usual looking but the dial is the easiest to read with a quick look which I'm sure will help it's sales.

Well that's my take on them.

Peace,
Preston

·
Registered
200 Posts
My favorite would definitely be the fourth one. I have a thing for very clear/legible watches, and this one obviously qualifies. I like the crown guard; big, but not absurdly so. GMT is a nice feature, and it looks like it's well executed with the smaller 24-hour numbers on the dial. I assume the GMT hand is independently adjustable (based on the position of the hands in the picture). I'm not sure what the price point would be on this model, but if it's not a ton of money, I would seriously consider purchasing this one.

My second favorite would be the burgundy chrono, followed closely by the black chrono. As Preston noted, these are 'funky' indeed, which is not usually my speed. But there's something appealing about the execution here, particularly the W-shaped cutout in the right side of the case for the crown and pushers. It has a very industrial look to it. I also like the hands (with cutouts so the subdials are visible), the darker sections of the subdials, and the raised chapter ring. I don't really like the seconds subdial; seems like it should have a square border or something to delineate it. It also looks like the second hand might sweep across the top portion of the date display, which does not smack of good design (though this might not be the case at all - hard to tell from the pictures). Although I don't see myself ordering this model, I can see it appealing to folks that like a bit of funkiness.

The first one isn't terrible, but it's not doing much for me. The big date and big numerals are nice, and it's definitely very legible. As these are the same hands as on the chrono, I like them here as well. Actually, the dial as a whole is good. But combination of square case and oversize crown guard really turns me off. The guard looks almost tacked on...I just don't think it goes with this case shape. That's just me, though, somebody else may well appreciate the uniqueness of that combination...I'm pretty sure I've never seen it before.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't like either one of them... they look to chunky. And the case shape is to square (the first three at least...). The fourth one looks a bit better and i don't know price for these things... but i wouldn't consider buying one. Especially with a japan mov't (Miyota ?) they seem a bit fashionwatch wannabe's. :think: sorry just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
24 Posts
as far as i can tell, not too expensive, $150 or so. clever ad copy appeals to a younger crowd... big watches, the first three are 45mm x 45mm. socal company. attitude-brand. like i said, i could see this working in certain target markets very well. i don't think collectors are that market however.

young, urban, outdoors, x-games crowd.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I don't like either one of them... they look to chunky. And the case shape is to square (the first three at least...). The fourth one looks a bit better and i don't know price for these things... but i wouldn't consider buying one. Especially with a japan mov't (Miyota ?) they seem a bit fashionwatch wannabe's. :think: sorry just my 2 cents...
I have one watch with a Miyota movement. I am actually quite impressed with it. Keeps great time and actually has one of the smoothest sweep second hands of any watch I own. Depending on the price point, I wouldn't think twice about buying a Miyota movement. I looked these up and it appears they have quartz movements in them.

The more I look at that 4th one, the more I like it. I do have to say that Bordeaux dial kinda grows on me as well. I would like to see a 360 view of them as well. If there were a curved case-back, might not be too bad.

Smurfe :)

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have no job, hence no watch budget, but
contructive input I can offer. The burgundy,
(cordovan?) dial is stylish, & offers more than
a simple wristpiece. GMT's are practical &
always welcome no matter what formats are
offered. I regret not being able to submit more
groundbreaking commentary. :-d :thanks

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
ok, my ¢2:

#1: i don't like capped crowns to start. the case design is interesting, pretty daring and very bold. unfortunately the dial design is also quite bold, so it lacks some contrast there IMO. the lug system looks interesting too, makes me want to know what the back looks like. still, i wouldn't consider this model for my collection.

#2 & #3: i like the chrono models, case is just as bold and daring as #1, but with the polished crown and pushers, the more traditional lug system and the more detailed dial design its a much better design altogether. if the minute and hour hands where also polished silver and if they where to get rid of the date window (thus not cutting up the 6), i would definately consider this for my collection, all black dial favored.

#4: classic case design and un-cluttered dial layout ... BORING! this looks to me like: "lets make something really new and daring, but lets add a conservative model just to be on the safe side."

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I don't like any of them Ernie but pick me and donate the value of the watch (wholesale) to the charity of your choice! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts