WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
It's time for an adventure!

But it's still overcast after a quick errand. I should kill some time...

I'll find lunch nearby!

I'm at Any Cafe USA now. I may as well have steak, fried eggs, and two pancakes. But do hold the butter... must be sensible :)

Energized and continuing south west, the sky is clearing.

The trailhead. I've wanted to make it here for years. And I do mean make it here.

The weather is absolutely perfect for a short hike.

The map said I "only" had 2.5 miles to the summit with an 1100 ft ascent. Thinking I may as well get a workout from the adventure, my pace is very brisk. A quarter mile later and I'm sticky and panting.

The primitive map I'd brought didn't give much sense of my progress. An English trio is talking and approaching from the opposite direction. I ask, 'is it much farther?' and one responds, 'until what?'. British humor.

Someone started cutting through this path-blocking tree, but in the end a new path was blazed around it.

Whew, I'm just about through the trees. I knew from friends that the top of the peak was mostly meadow.

Others photographing, smiling and enjoying the day. We are as high as the clouds. And I do mean these exchange students are quite high. |>

Landmaster, this is the great outdoors:

And now for a good sit. I'll tell you something, though, I came up here with more than sight seeing in mind.

That's right, I thought it would be a great setting to demonstrate the watch as a solar compass. :-! The first step is to point the hour hand towards the sun. Because my watch reflects daylight-savings, I subtract an hour. Thus 2 o'clock is pointing at the sun. Notice you can use shadows to help orient the watch:

After aligning the hour hand (or hour hand minus one hour under daylight-savings), one rotates the bezel so that S is halfway between the the hour (or 2 in my case) and 12:

Ah ha! Wow, so this really works? It's really that simple? Could it be? Yes, it is.

So what's up here, exactly? Antennas and support structures and a few flat spots for picnicking are up here. I send a couple text messages then start back down.

It doesn't matter what else this used to say, just go left.

"I'd like to report a strange individual along the trail taking pictures of his wrist... yes thank you... no sure, we'll keep our distance... ok, great, yes with glasses"

The descent is quick and I pass a dozen others. In a good mood after reaching the top, I say 'hi' freely and encouragingly. And I take a couple glamor shots:

And back!

I pay the $5 use fee and decide to capture a few more pictures before leaving:

Who doesn't love this backside?

And home. Success! :thanks for following along. :)

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Super idea and effort and creative pictorials, Tom! Glad to see you do not 'baby' your new watch!
My 2000 Landtrek model with compass bezel 8F56 GMT, ti and perpetual is a daily wearer ...enjoy your gorgeous Seiko!:-!

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Thanks dpeco and T Wong.

T Wong, I saw your Landtrek in HEQ (I think?) and liked it then, too. Nice model! You are so right about wear philosophy. I bought this watch to wear the snot out of, and intend to do just that. :) Oh, and I'm very slightly envious of your 8F56, which on paper is more accurate than an SD plus adds perp. cal.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Thanks dpeco and T Wong.

T Wong, I saw your Landtrek in HEQ (I think?) and liked it then, too. Nice model! You are so right about wear philosophy. I bought this watch to wear the snot out of, and intend to do just that. :) Oh, and I'm very slightly envious of your 8F56, which on paper is more accurate than an SD plus adds perp. cal.
Yes, Tom, that was my Landtrek...a complete fluke of a find. Originally I had wanted a vintage Seiko Flitemaster AGS at the used store, but hesitated a week....and then some WIS bought it! Next time I went back, the Landtrek appeared in the watch case....and I grabbed it, though it has very slight nicks on the casing....

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Holy crepe... that's an awesome looking watch! Love the side profile of that case! Nice dial markers too.. classy

170+ grams on a titanium case is massive... this thing would be a ..... to wear were it steel.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
That was fun Tom. Thanks for putting it together...in all my years on the forums, I think your's was the first post I've ever seen that actually showed the compass bezel in work in a real live setting.

Glad to see that you are still enjoying that beautiful watch too!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Awesome watch indeed! A noob question, why the back side written with; PERSONAL DATA NAME, NATIONALITY, BLOOD TYPE and BIRTH DAY? Is that for customization engraving of our personal details that will be done by the manufacturer?

·
6,958 Posts
Wow!!! This post keeps getting better and better.... very cool photo story Tom:-!

Cheers
Shannon

·
Banned
2,906 Posts
Very original idea. I love it. Great watch, too, of course. The back is sexy indeed. Not too enamored of the bezel though. If you want to use it as a compass it might be easier to set the 24h hand to your own timezone minus 1. This way you get a straight pointer and don't have to do the half thingy.

The British humor thing was hilarious. I also digged the huge tree with an attempt at removal. Even more hilarious. Maybe it was the Brits on their way up?

Till

·
Registered
838 Posts
first of all, thank you for sharing all those great pics.

Now... Man I totally love this watch!:-!

Wear it proudly, It will probably last a lifetime.

wow what a watch

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
Great picts Tom.

You still need to fill out the back of your watch. In case you pass out from being too "high" someone will know what to do with you.

·
Registered
360 Posts
If it wasn’t for the large NEWS on the bezel I would have traded-in my SBDB001 for one of these beauties. Terrific case profile and Seiko should consider using it in other (perhaps smaller) models. A mechanical Landmaster in 42mm with that case shape …

Thanks for the excellent pics. The best I’ve seen of this model by an owner. Enjoy your watch.

john

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
Hi all, thanks for your comments. The watch has continued to find itself on my wrist least 8 hours a day, every day, since the 'adventure'.

I had a mini feat of strength last night, thought about photographing it for the thread, but fortunately my camera's batteries were drained, and so continued without documentation. I used a bracelet 'pin' pusher tool for the first time to remove a link from the Landmaster. And from a loose fit on the smallest micro-adjustment to now a perfect fit on the largest micro adjustment, plus a swap of the direction of the band, the watch has reached a new summit of comfort. I'm tickled! |>

Earlier it was asked about the engraving. Yes, you can add your name and birthday plus blood type and country of origin. The manual even suggests that Seiko (in Japan) will handle the engraving after a sale via dealers. Tfar recently started a thread about engraving watches. I could never bring myself to remove material from the LM'd backside, though.

The car is in fact a YJ Wrangler, in other words the style immediately following the CJ-7. It goes well with the watch, I think (and they were about the same price!)

[edit: missed a comment. Tfar, you are right about the 24 hand being more convenient for the use as solar compass. In fact the manual for the Landmaster states that configuring the hand for local time is the 'default' configuration! But I like using it as a GMT hand if for no reason other than the 'busy' aesthetic of a fourth central hand.]

Abraxas, I am a fan and lurker on TZ-UK and 'the thread' made me smile. Yes; every post in it! I can't say that the 'N E W S' is subtle in real life, but it really, truly, isn't as loud in the metal as photos (though mine less so than the horrible stock photo) suggest. I was thinking about a series of 'hand in pocket' or 'headless self-portrait' pictures to put the watch's features in scale. I agree about the case profile. It's absolutely modern and luscious and I've yet to take a picture that captures half the geometry's allure.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts