Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I bought this Venus for 40 euros, during my visit at antique shops:

venus front.jpg

venus back.jpg

venus back inside.jpg

venus movement.jpg
It is gold-plated but the gold is worn out. The back, as you can se has the number 691310 and inside it has the words "fond acier inoxydable" written. I searched about the movement in ranfft's site and I found 2 possible movements that match:
bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Venus 208
bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Venus 214

This was certainly a good quality watch because as you can see the movement has a beautiful copper finish with decorations. My question is if the movement is Venus 208 or 214 and if these movements were inhouse or
from companies like FHF,AS,ETA.

Also do you know how old is this watch; I think that it was made in the 50ies because it's looks like other watches that were made in that decade.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Very good catch. I like pointer date watches a lot. :-!

I'll let someone else answer your movement questions - I'm usually wrong.:roll:

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
When I did a search on the Ranfft guide, the closest I could find is the FHF 170

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: FHF 170

FHF_189.jpg

Although still not sure that's spot on.
But it if is, that would date the watch to the mid 40's.

But wait for more expertise to chime in.

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,674 Posts
I like pointer dates too, so I think a very good price even for the condition. I think there was something of a fashion for these in the fifties so I'd go with that era too, but I'll let someone more expert on dating be more precise. Like Marrik I tend to get movements wrong, but from Rolands site you should have picked the 204 as it's a calendar movement. However I think this is actually something like an FHF 175.

Edit: Beaten to it :) 170 is more like it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My initial thought was that is a FHF movement but I searched the ranfft's site using the keyword "Venus" and the Venus 208 and 214 looked similar and they have sub second and date hand as my second. The FHF 170 has only sub second

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Nice catch, I'd say it's from the early fifties too.

It certainly looks like an FHF as has been pointed out but one of
the movement buffs will pin it down exactly if it hasn't been already.

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,674 Posts
My initial thought was that is a FHF movement but I searched the ranfft's site using the keyword "Venus" and the Venus 208 and 214 looked similar and they have sub second and date hand as my second. The FHF 170 has only sub second
The base calibre is almost certainly the FHF 170 which will have been modified for the date function. I've never taken the dial off one of these pointer watches, but I'd suspect that the pointer hand is a simple under the dial feature. Someone who knows more about the mechanics of pointer dates will be able to confirm what is involved.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked carefully the Venus 208 and FHF 170 pictures on ranfft's site and I think that you are probably right. They look very similar and is not easy to spot the differences. any chance that the Venus 208 is based on FHF 170;

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Bestfit only lists base movements for a couple Venus calibres and not for the Venus 208

Since (mostly) Venus made their own movements, I would suggest that this is a Venus 208

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Hi out there,

no doubt, it is either an FHF 175-3 or 179-3 (difference probably the bevelled periphery)
bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: FHF 175-3
FHF 175/179 is the base movement, "-3" generally indicates a pointer date on FHF calibres.

I guess this is one of the few cases where Mrs. Pritchard is wrong: She states that the Venus, Schwarz-Etienne SA in La Chaux de Fonds (watch factory) and the Fabrique d'Ebauches Venus SA in Moutier (movement factory) are identical, or at least belong together.

But as I've never met a Venus movement in a Venus watch, I suspect she's wrong.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,295 Posts
Michael Horlbeck, in his extensive book on wrist alarms (incl. the Venus Cals. 230-232), also points out that the Venus watches, made by the Schwarz-Etienne company in La Chaux de Fonds since 1918, have nothing to do with the Venus ebaucherie in Münster (Moutier), founded 1928.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so the movement is a Venus 208 or a FHF 170. The watch is 50's style and the Venus 208 was made in that decade according to rannft. If it is FHF 170 then the watch must have been made in the late 40's . The watch was probably one of the best Venus made as you can see from the decorations and the finish and it would make sense that this movement is inhouse rather than imported. Is there any way to tell which is for sure;

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Look at my 175 above, every screw hole and train jewel matches. It is a 175 or 179.

The only way to know for sure, is (unless the calibre is marked under the balance) to take the movement out, dial off - remove the calendar mechanism and find it on the dial side of the movement.

There you will find FHF175 or 179 markings.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts