WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont usually look at fossil, however this one really caught my eyes....and i cannot ressist the price...bought it for $50
anybody know what kind of chinese movement is it?

·
Registered
534 Posts
i am not sure about the movement used by fossil, but according to their website, their automatic watches are not real automatics. They run on quartz and battery while the balance wheel and automatic movement is just for "aesthetic" reasons. I might be wrong though.

Btw, Nice watch!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this one is FULL automatic(model# ME1046), not those cheesseey battery operated automatic lookalike watch....( not sure why they comes up this brillant idea...lol):rodekaart

·
Registered
690 Posts
Fossil makes automatics. They also make "Twist" models which run the second hand (only) off an automatic mechanism but the rest of the watch off quartz. I actually saw another company with a similar design the other day but forgot who it was...

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
i am not sure about the movement used by fossil, but according to their website, their automatic watches are not real automatics. They run on quartz and battery while the balance wheel and automatic movement is just for "aesthetic" reasons. I might be wrong though.

Btw, Nice watch!
Fossil makes automatics. They also make "Twist" models which run the second hand (only) off an automatic mechanism but the rest of the watch off quartz. I actually saw another company with a similar design the other day but forgot who it was...
They have a few different quartz variations with mechanical parts. But I believe the twist is an actual automatic. I may be wrong.

The movement in the OP is a Sea-Gull ST25. It is a very nice movement. There is more info on the wiki but this is the in-house caliber that Sea-Gull chose to be the base for their perpetual calendar & moonphase watch. :-!

cheers,
gigfy

·
Registered
690 Posts
nope, the twist is a quartz with automatic seconds. I have two of them. Both have open hearts and a second hand that eventually stops...but always keeps perfect time. Personally for what it is I think it's a nice idea.

·
Registered
534 Posts
this one is FULL automatic(model# ME1046), not those cheesseey battery operated automatic lookalike watch....( not sure why they comes up this brillant idea...lol):rodekaart
whoops.. sorry my bad. I did only research on their "twist" collection. Was into that a few months back but the "fusion style" turned me off. But 50dollars for a Fossil (full) automatic? Thats a steal(even parnis cost more now in ebay:-d)!

·
Registered
534 Posts
nope, the twist is a quartz with automatic seconds. I have two of them. Both have open hearts and a second hand that eventually stops...but always keeps perfect time. Personally for what it is I think it's a nice idea.
But you still need a battery right? It would be better if they could make the automatic movement recharge the battery.. Whoops, that'll be a kinetic watch!:-d:-d

From what you were saying, i guess the real quartz movement is actually a dual hand without the second hand. Why didn't they just increase the beat of the balance wheel to maybe 36000bph or more(accuracy of the second hand doesn't matter anyway) <- and we'll have a pseudo-spring drive!! Smooth second hand movement and accurate time keeping :-!:-!:-!

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Thanks! :-!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts

Btw, Nice watch!
You're wrong!!! You're talking about their twists models this one is totally automatic as you should be able to recognize by looking at the exhibition caseback. I have two Fossil automatics and I love them both.

·
Registered
37,150 Posts
i dont usually look at fossil, however this one really caught my eyes....and i cannot ressist the price...bought it for $50
anybody know what kind of chinese movement is it?

$50? Nice find. Congrats and good luck with it. :-!

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Fossil Twist
"The beauty of a finely crafted automatic timepiece is coupled with the accuracy and reliability of quartz housed in a watchcase that reveals its intricate inner workings to the wearer."

There may be other varieties. Please post pictures if you have a different one.

cheers,
gigfy

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,442 Posts
Fossil Twist

There may be other varieties. Please post pictures if you have a different one.

cheers,
gigfy
I much prefer the Chinese version of this 'hybrid' concept, as supplied by PTS Resources to the makers of Tao International, IK Colouring and others.

I'd like to see a company build one of these hybrid such that the small quartz movement was embedded into the mechanical so that the seconds hand post runs up the middle to deliver a big, smooth sweep hand in the middle of the dial of a quartz watch.

Next enhancement would be to attach a Kinetic-style generator to run off the same rotor as the mechanical movement. This would probably be harder than it sounds as winding a mainspring entails stepping down the motion from the rotor, whereas driving a generator requires stepping up.

Back to the original subject...

Only $50 for an ST25? You're laughing.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Back to the original subject...

Only $50 for an ST25? You're laughing.
It is a laughable price. But when you buy the movements by the millions, you probably get a good deal. :-d

cheers,
gigfy

·
Registered
261 Posts
Nice find for the money. I have a Fossil Quartz (wishing it was a mechanical), I like Fossils Watches. I like the copper on black design, it stands out nicely.
Congrats.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i m the same too...i orginally had a fossil quartz many years ago....
the funny thing is this full automatic, it cost cheaper than my quartz...;-)
Nice find for the money. I have a Fossil Quartz (wishing it was a mechanical), I like Fossils Watches. I like the copper on black design, it stands out nicely.
Congrats.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I saw this same watch at the Fossil outlet in Myrtle Beach, SC. Does the small inset watch on the face adjust independently to the primary hands?

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,442 Posts
I saw this same watch at the Fossil outlet in Myrtle Beach, SC. Does the small inset watch on the face adjust independently to the primary hands?
Yes. It is a full dual time setup. For those situations when you need to be tracking another time-zone in which the time difference from your current location is not divisible by whole hours e.g. you live in Adelaide and want to track the time in Melbourne.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts