WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really have enough of these old Tissot watches just waiting to be restored but I couldn't resist this one.

P8118581.jpg
What a face and it's almost like it's from a comic book. I believe it's an old redial but as I own the watch it must be original. ;-)

The diameter is 32mm not counting the crown so it's of good size considering the time period it's from.

P8118558.jpg
The serial number dates it to around 1935. A little dirty but this is one of those movements that just starts running at the slightest touch

P8118572.jpg
It has a non original crown but I'll forgive it...

So have anyone seen one like it or am I just falling head over heals over a cheap redial?

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Hi.
Seems dial has lumed dots while hands have no lume.
Usually points to a redial or replacement hand.

Its a nice re-dial if it is.
A

Reactions: FrenchKiss

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lume is totally dead so it must have been done a long time ago and the hands really fit the design very well so it was professionally done. But as you say the hands are probably swapped out for new ones. It could have been a radium watch and maybe the owner wanted to get rid of the radium.

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
My gut feel.
Redial and replacement (similar style) hands at same time. 15- 30 years ago??

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Re-looking
If reworked, it is amazing job.
So 'original' and replaced hands.

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Could well be and I think I'll keep the hands as the lume is dead anyway.
Absolutely. And unless you can find an advert showing the original hands, what to choose?

Reactions: Shum

·
Registered
18,166 Posts

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Re-looking
If reworked, it is amazing job.
So 'original' and replaced hands.
I think there is a good chance hands are original to the watch. Tissot and Omega were kissin' cousins in those days (and still are). Many parts from this era are interchangeable between the two brands. Including hands...here's my 1930's Omega:

Same hour and minute hands as the Tissot.

Not the first time I've seen this.
gatorcpa

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Very nice!
Is Tissot and Mathey Tissot one in the same?
No - Mathey Tissot of Les Ponts de Martel are not related to the more famous Ch. Tissot et Fils of Le Locle. Although sometimes sold as if they are.;-)

Reactions: FrenchKiss

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
I think there is a good chance hands are original to the watch. Tissot and Omega were kissin' cousins in those days (and still are). Many parts from this era are interchangeable between the two brands. Including hands...here's my 1930's Omega:

Same hour and minute hands as the Tissot.

Not the first time I've seen this.
gatorcpa
But yours has no lume 'dots' on the dial.
Pointing to fact Shum's watch has been re-dialed with lume??

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Pointing to fact Shum's watch has been re-dialed with lume??
As I said before, I think the dial is an original Tissot dial. I don't think it necessarily was meant for this watch.
I do think that the hands are also original to the era, but not meant to go with this dial. Definitely a mismatch.

But the condition of the case and movement are so good, it doesn't matter.
gatorcpa

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
As I said before, I think the dial is an original Tissot dial. I don't think it necessarily was meant for this watch.
I do think that the hands are also original to the era, but not meant to go with this dial. Definitely a mismatch.

But the condition of the case and movement are so good, it doesn't matter.
gatorcpa
Understand now
a

1 - 20 of 47 Posts