WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 216 Posts
Lug to lug length also pays a crucial role, some watches have long lugs and tend to hang or occupy the whole wrist without necessarily being attached to a large diameter case. A refined algorithm should take into the account even the angle of the lugs.

Also, as a European and software developer thinking with an analytical mind most of the time, I chuckled a bit when I saw this thread:-d

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Lug to lug length also pays a crucial role, some watches have long lugs and tend to hang or occupy the whole wrist without necessarily being attached to a large diameter case. A refined algorithm should take into the account even the angle of the lugs.

Also, as a European and software developer thinking with an analytical mind most of the time, I chuckled a bit when I saw this thread:-d
You are entering territory that is out of my league now!

No ridicule from me, this should be a stickie!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Reactions: Jlanc
For weird shaped watches, I propose that we calculate the area of the watch case and find the circle that has the same area.

A = pi*r^2
A = pi*(d/2)^2
A = pi*d^2/4

d^2 = 4*A/pi
d = sqrt(4*A/pi)

So a 40mm x 40mm square watch would be the equivalent of a circular watch with diameter:

d = sqrt(4*(40*40)/pi)
d = 45mm

I realise that the area of a Panerai watch is very hard to calculate.

didn't think about them- let me think about that one!
I think you'd have to measure them diagonally, since that tells a truer story of the size than straight across. I think my Monaco is 38mm across, but it wears WAY more like 42 than 38.

Anyway, here are my ratios (197mm):
Hamilton Jazzmaster: 4.47727273
Hamilton Sunset: 4.2826087
Hamilton Scuba: 4.69047619
Omega Speedmaster: 4.69047619
Marathon JSAR: 4.22746781
Chase-Durer UDT: 4.47727273
Tawatec H3 Ti: 4.47727273
Halios Bluering: 4.47727273
Helson Shark Diver: 4.37777778
Seiko Sumo: 4.47727273
Seiko 6309-7040: 4.47727273 (This is deceiving, since it wears so much smaller than this)
Tag Heuer Monaco: 4.69047619 (Estimated at 42)
Glycine Officer: 4.47727273
Bernhardt Officer: 4.47727273

Um, I think that's everything. So I've identified what I think are a few flaws with the system. The case measurement doesn't tell the whole story. I think you'll need to run a similar ratio for lug to lug as well to get the entire picture. The square watch thing has already been addressed, so we're good there. I've always said my range is 42-48mm. According to this equation, my true range is:

39.4mm to 49.25mm

I'm wearing a 44mm watch right now with only a 6.5" wrist. That gives me a ratio of 3.75, which should be too big according to your theory. I'd say the watch just about fits (no hanging lugs either). Judge for yourself.
(slightly blurry pic)

Analog watch Watch Wrist Watch accessory Strap

Your formula is too simple and is missing several important criteria including: shape of lugs, lug-to-lug distance, height of the watch, how the strap/bracelet fits, shape of the case(round, square, rectangle, how the individual likes the look of the watch, etc.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Your formula is too simple and is missing several important criteria including: shape of lugs, lug-to-lug distance, height of the watch, how the strap/bracelet fits, shape of the case(round, square, rectangle, how the individual likes the look of the watch, etc.
i wanted t keep it relatively simple or else it becomes useless to most people. You are correct though, there are other factors you could consider if you really want a watch that fall out of the range.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
I'm wearing a 44mm watch right now with only a 6.5" wrist. That gives me a ratio of 3.75, which should be too big according to your theory. I'd say the watch just about fits (no hanging lugs either). Judge for yourself.
(slightly blurry pic)

View attachment 523876
No problem, Im not saying you shouldn't have it. the fact that you just said it "just about fits" sits nicely with the system to me. Perhaps large pilots watches are supposed to be on the larger side of things. Having said that i just tried on an IWC pilot on a 7 inch wrist at about 40mm and it fitted like a glove to me.

Works well for me and I think it's a great formula for use as a general guide. For watches that come close to the upper or lower end of your range you'd need to consider the other factors such as lug to lug length, dial diameter, case shape and thickness etc. Perhaps some of these variables could be included in the equation (I'm no mathemetician!) but provided you have at least some experience in wearing different types of watches I think you can make your own conclusions regarding their influences.

21 - 40 of 216 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.