WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and I'm not just being humble. But I have to say I have spent a great deal more time here and in the watchmaking forum than pretty much anywhere else around here lately. I appreciate all the fascinating information that flows from so many knowledgable individuals. I also find it noteworthy that most who post around here do so when they have something of real substance to add (which is why I normally just lurk). So here are my few pieces to which I will add as I gain more knowledge. Thanks for inspiring me to explore this aspect of WISdom and allowing me to share and I apologize for my weak photographic skills.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Intersting watches1
The Sellita one, is it the same Sellita that make movements today?

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
Nice selection. I like seeing inside!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Janne: It does have a Sellita movement so perhaps they had ventured into casing their movements for some period of time. I am a babe in the woods as far as the historical/technical details unfortunately.

Eeeb: I'll open a some casebacks and share. It'll give me more opportunity to practice with the lightbox. Watch this space.;-)

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
You've made some interesting selections. Most of those brands represent some seriously undervalued pieces that deserve more respect than they get according to average selling price. They were fine products that suffer from a lack of attention from all but the most diehard vintage collectors. Of course if you lurk here you'll know I'm tremendously biased towards Longines but I've owned a Gruen & Benrus or two in my time and they were excellent examples of watchmaking from the era. You have a nice variety going on there. :-!

I also find it noteworthy that most who post around here do so when they have something of real substance to add
Yeah, imagine that - no name calling or arguing over trivial matters....just helpful tips and educational material. Go figure! ;-):-d

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Welcome. Very nice set of watches you've got there.:-!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You've made some interesting selections. Most of those brands represent some seriously undervalued pieces that deserve more respect than they get according to average selling price. They were fine products that suffer from a lack of attention from all but the most diehard vintage collectors. Of course if you lurk here you'll know I'm tremendously biased towards Longines but I've owned a Gruen & Benrus or two in my time and they were excellent examples of watchmaking from the era. You have a nice variety going on there. :-!
Thanks for the positive comments. Having seen a few of your exquisite pieces I'm afraid I'm still pretty bush league, but give it time:)

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
Thanks for the positive comments. Having seen a few of your exquisite pieces I'm afraid I'm still pretty bush league, but give it time:)
No matter how extensive a collection, there is someone with a better one... I've learned the joy is not in having the biggest and best toys but rather in enjoying the ones you have |>

You have a nice set! Enjoy

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Very nice collection. I find the Gruen especially eye-catching. Looks like you tend to collect vintage starting in the 1950s. Is this by choice, or do you buy what you like to wear?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. Most wristwatches from earlier periods tend to be 32mm or smaller, which is smaller than I care to wear. My wife however benefits if something that size really catches my eye - and she really appreciates the vintage pieces I send her way.

So the actual answer to the question is that the '50s and later is serendipity based on increasing case size.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I think the trick is to collect what you find interesting. The beauty of collecting, vintage watches is, that they come in seemingly endless variety. If a watch is too expensive, you can always find another interesting watch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts