WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha f17,

I've had an idea to make a homage to the GWX5600B-7, but without the tide/moon function. I surf, and live on an island, but I found the tide function of the GWX series to provide little valuable input in regards to tide conditions. YMMV.

I'm a fan of the 5600s, and prefer tough solar if I can get it. Two of my previous 5600 mods are HERE.

THE BUILD
This is my first build from scratch.

I purchased a GW-M5600bc case and GW-M5600bc reverse display module from TikTox. From Casio, I picked up a black GWX5600B-7 band and a white bezel from the GLX5600-7. I could've gone with the bezel from the GWX5600B-7, but I wasn't too stoked on the magenta "G-SHOCK".

I put them all together and the result is below.

IMPRESSIONS
I'm very happy with the build. The GW-M5600 is my favorite of the plastic case 5600s, and this one looks great with the high gloss and black and white contrast. The band is the perfect length for me, and I like the design a lot more than the pin striped black band of the GLX series.

The reverse display is easier to read that my blue 5600cc, but not quite as nice as the regular 5600.
I'm happy I went this route and saved some screen clutter over the GWX5600B-7 tide screen.

PROBLEMS
I can't get the thing to beep. I made sure the spring from the module was touching the case back and... nothing. o|
It does charge in sunlight though!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
i like it, but am curious about the total price of this mod

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Very nice build there. If you don't mind me asking what were the price for the case and the module from Tic Tox?

What model resin band is that? I like the gloss black on that and with the G-Lide insignia I am guessing it is a GRX or GWX model of some sort. If you have a part # that would be great!

To offer a suggestion about the watch not making any sound. Did you disable the sounds somehow. There should be something like a musical note on the display and if it is muted it will show a circle with a line through it. I'm not sure if it is normally displayed or only when you go through the setup using the Adjust button and scroll through the parameters.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i like it, but am curious about the total price of this mod
I think about $100-$120 including shipping. This was built over a few months, and I didn't keep receipts.
I had some coupons for tiktox, which helped a lot.

What model resin band is that? I like the gloss black on that and with the G-Lide insignia I am guessing it is a GRX or GWX model of some sort. If you have a part # that would be great!
Its from the GWX5600B-7. Sorry, no part #. I just called Casio and asked for the band for that model. $20 something I believe.

To offer a suggestion about the watch not making any sound. Did you disable the sounds somehow. There should be something like a musical note on the display and if it is muted it will show a circle with a line through it. I'm not sure if it is normally displayed or only when you go through the setup using the Adjust button and scroll through the parameters.
Yeah... that's not it. I didn't turn the sound off, and it would show on the display. The sound is turned off by pressing and holding the mode button when in any mode other than regular time display.

Aloha RhinoChaser and cool build!
Howzit. Tanks, bu!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Where did you find the case and module on Tic Tox? The only parts I see for G-Shocks are straps and bezels and they only carry the more popular models.

Hard to believe the watch as shown only cost $120. Judging by pacparts which is usually a huge price difference while it doesnt list parts for any GW-M5610, it does carry parts for the previous 5 band GW-M5600. Anyhow a module without the movement (what exactly doe this even mean) is around $80, a case is $40, then you need to still buy the bezel ($20), the strap, the screws, the LCD, the Case backplate, the glass, the PCB board, the CTL12616 battery. Then to ship from UK to HI can't be cheap. I'm guessibng TicToxs prices would be even more than pacparts which is almost as cheap as going through Casio itself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts