WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since having an amazingly great experience at the Breguet boutique in NYC five years ago, I decided the one day I'd purchase a Breguet Classique.
A friend and I were discussing watch goals for our next decade birthday, and I thought that Breguet would be suitable for my 40th.
Every week or so I'd look at watchrecon or chrono24 and type in "Breguet Classique" to see what the 5140 was fetching because it's one of their more classic
designs with the guilloche dial larger than 38mm. I checked into chrono and saw this pop up at a steal of a price, BNIB, and was floored.
I have a Piaget Altiplano 43mm, and 40 is about as small as I like to go since I have a 7 3/4" wrist, so when I saw a 41mm model
I never knew existed pop up, I had to buy it. After speaking with the seller on Sunday, I sent immediate payment and received the watch
on Tuesday. I'm in love. I turn 40 in July of 2023, so I guess it's time to consider what's next.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

·
Registered
581 Posts
Congratulations! Fantastic watch, beautiful dial, and the fairly big size fits you well!
Enjoy it, and DO NOT think about another watch for now. Just enjoy wearing and try not to anticipate a future purchase, even if it's a few years down the road, it might diminish your appreciation for what's currently on your wrist.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Yeah, I haven't thought about what's next, and I really like there being an impulse aspect to it. I've got a separate account I squirrel money into each paycheck so I'll see what's out there when the time comes, but for now I'm as satisfied as I'll ever be.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Congratulations!

Amazing guilloche--the amount of skill that went into that boggles the mind

·
Registered
14,862 Posts
A beauty, congratulations on that one!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Grail-worthy piece right there. Savor the honeymoon phase with it. =D

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Big congrats on a superb piece! Real engine turned guilloche dials are absolutely stunning in the metal (at least to my eye). When I have had a chance to view high end dress watches like Patek, Lange, VC, and others in the same location and same time, it has been Breguet offerings that have impressed me the most (certainly from the dial side, as well as overall when weighing everything up).

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
That watch is as close to perfect as it gets. The dial gives it a distinct character. Absolutely gorgeous! As far as I’m concerned it makes more sense for an ultra thin watch to be 40 mm or less.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is just stunning. There are no pictures that could do justice to this watch. Question; have you been informed about service cost of Brequet? I know a few stories that will blow your mind as they charged north of 3000$ for what seems simple service.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Honestly, I'm hoping it's in the $1K range. It doesn't get much more simple than a two hand manual wind. This is a link from their service price guide: https://www.e-digitaleditions.com/i/100950-repair-guide-u-s/5?m4= which puts it at $660, but I'm sure something else will pad the cost a bit.

When I shop for watches I consider service charges, which is part of the reason I seem to avoid the high end watches with complications. I couldn't imagine having a $3K service bill for anything, but I know it's always a possibility.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Honestly, I'm hoping it's in the $1K range. It doesn't get much more simple than a two hand manual wind. This is a link from their service price guide: https://www.e-digitaleditions.com/i/100950-repair-guide-u-s/5?m4= which puts it at $660, but I'm sure something else will pad the cost a bit.

When I shop for watches I consider service charges, which is part of the reason I seem to avoid the high end watches with complications. I couldn't imagine having a $3K service bill for anything, but I know it's always a possibility.
Misunderstood the post. My bad.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where does the $1k come from?
Do you know what it means to manufacture and knurl a solid gold case? Or to manually guilloche a gold dial with a rose engine lathe? Or to manufacture hands like these?
Sure, the retail price is above the actual manufacturing cost, but then you have to factor in the development of the design + the movement and the finishing. And add a little margin to it.
I think you misunderstood. I'm hoping it's about $1K for the service.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I think you misunderstood. I'm hoping it's about $1K for the service.
Haha my bad, I even forgot you started the thread! Sorry mate, I should have read more diligently the post above with the question about the service. I thought you were a random guy coming here to sh*t on the thread and the owner.
I will edit my post.

All the best,
A.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Haha my bad, I even forgot you started the thread! Sorry mate, I should have read more diligently the post above with the question about the service. I thought you were a random guy coming here to sh*t on the thread and the owner.
I will edit my post.

All the best,
A.
Lol. All good my man.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts