WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is old-hat to most of you, but I'm excited. I've been learning and lurking on this forum for a long time, but finally decided to start building out my collection. I've always wanted a panda chrono, and with all the great info here, I was able to settle on something that I truly dig and could afford. I highly recommend the Alpha Daytona for those looking to get their feet wet.

Another first was buying it from the private seller forum on WUS. Such a great experience... but it wasn't complete. Knew I wanted a reddish croc strap to bring out the outer dial tick marks, deployant clasp (butterfly of course), and my first see-through caseback. Managed to put it all together myself:p.... n00b to n00b 2.0 with this community's help.

My one qualm is that the strap ended up looking a little cheap (it was, $20 on Amazon), so I'd truly appreciate honest opinions on it. I liked it because it had the cream stitching to match the face, but if anyone has suggestions on how to take the Alpha to next-level classy (without spending more than I paid for the watch) I'd love to hear ideas. Now.... PICS!

PS, the rubber jar grips totally worked to remove the original caseback:)

Attachments

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,502 Posts
I like your choice of strap in terms of colours, texture, cut and clasp. It doesn't look 'cheap' to me in the photos (fragile/fast-aging perhaps but not tacky), but if it seems that way to you then I'd recommend that you make your next choice from a real-world seller rather than on-line.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Nice combo! |> I think the strap really suits the watch and defo doesn't look cheap, i just got my first Alpha last week and i am really impressed with the quality you get for the money! enjoy that beauty

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for the positive replies, guys. The gf didn't like it because it was too "red" but whatever... More concerned about WUS members.

Chascomm, you may be right. I think it will age fast, maybe then I'll pick up a nice Hadley-Roma for it. It was my first go at putting a piece together. Glad it works for those who know.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I always liked the look of that Alpha, but I already own a couple ST19 watches so couldn't justify another. I see them as disposables, since I'm not going to pay to service them, considering their cost. Might drop in a new movement though. :)

I think the faux-croc look makes the strap a liiiiitle bit tacky. The colors work really well though!

Well done on the caseback! The ST19 is really fun to look at.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I think it looks great. Colors go well together.

What was wrong with the original case back?
The ones I see on eBay have display case backs.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I agree. I think the strap looks great and the see through caseback looks fantastic. Well done on doing the work yourself!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think the strap looks good.

I had an Alpha Daytona which I sold about a year ago that I had on a plain black leather strap. Of all the watches I've had, it got the most compliments, maybe it's the contrast of the panda dial that catches people's eye.
I really enjoyed watching the balance and the chronograph mechanism through the display case back. Hope yours gives you the same buzz.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts