WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
12/11/2011 update.. I'll leave the original post below untouched, but in response to a few private emails I got about the green lume I originally put in the hands, I changed the color to this mocha color. cheers, Ron movadoM95_dial.jpg

Picked this one up from a friend. It's a Movado chronograph with a M95 movement. Gold plated over stainless steel like many vintage Movado watches. I love the look and the size. My friend put a lot of work into restoring this one, and I finished things up tonight by re-luming the hands.

movadoM95.jpg movadom95_movement.jpg

I don't like to toss the word RARE around but I think these are pretty rare. I had my eye on it for a while and finally worked out a deal with my friend to trade for it. I'll try to take some better pics during the day on Saturday. Cheers, Ron

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
great looking chronograph movement and watch. Now can see why its your fav. I would just be sat looking at that dial most of the day

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Congrats!

Amazing looking watch! Eventhough I'm not a 'gold' man, would not mind having that in the collection... The dial is great!

1 thing I would suggest.... With reluming hands.... I have had a few 'vintage' watches done and I find getting a coloured lume - 'toast' colour/yellowy brown - suits the watches better, especially if the dial has some age to it!

I think the bright green sometimes jars with the overall look of the watch! But that is my preference....

Marc

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Great looking watch and the movement looks to be in excellent order.
Very good quality watch, love the curly hands on the subdials.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a good suggestion Marc. I know Dirtvictim has posted some info on different colored lumes. I'll have to check into it.

I have only seen a handful of these on the internet, I believe this one to be from the 1940s, but not sure.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
some better pics...

I had always been kind of on the fence about the way Movado did their gold plating. I wasn't sure if I liked the look. But I guess if the way they plated their watches give you more solid gold. I like the way they did this one.

movadoM95_04.jpg

movadoM95_02.jpg

movadoM95_03.jpg

movadoM95_back.jpg

·
Registered
373 Posts
Re: some better pics...

Great looking watch! Congrats on your new addition. I'm not a gold man either, but agree that it would certainly be welcome in my home any day.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
The M95s are terrific chronographs, as you no doubt know. Yours appears to be in a Borgel (FB) case, which makes it that much nicer.

Congratulations!

·
Registered
149 Posts
The M95s are terrific chronographs, as you no doubt know. Yours appears to be in a Borgel (FB) case, which makes it that much nicer.
The case was actually made by Taubert & Fils who took over the Borgel company in 1924, continuing (rather confusingly) to use the FB-key Borgel trademark. It will have a decagonal (10 flats) case back, a cork seal in the stem tube, and waterproof pushers. The shape of the crown, which accommodates the stem tube with cork gasket, is very distinctive and can pretty well identify one of these cases without even turning it over.

The Tauberts supplied the same case to, inter-alia, Patek Philippe for the Reference 1463 chronograph, Patek Philippe’s first waterproof chronograph and one of the most coveted of all Patek Philippe chronograph references because of its waterproof case. It was launched in 1941 and continued until mid of '60s. The Patek Philippe Reference 1463 chronograph with the Taubert decagonal screw back case was available in steel or gold.

Should this be called a Borgel case? It's understandable because of the FB-key trademark. But it was designed and made by Taubert and Fils, so I prefer to call it a Taubert case. But not many people would recognise that name . . .

Nice watch BTW.

Regards - David

1 - 11 of 11 Posts