WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post, I've been reading but I had nothing interesting to post, untill now. First of all I want to apologize for my poor English, and after I want to show to you my new flieger, "El Observador", from Pedro Izquierdo.

Pedro Izquierdo is a spanish independent watchmaker who teaches horology in his "Escuela de Relojería" in Madrid. He also has a collection of Ltd. Ed. watches, and his new creation, "El Observador" tries to be the most accurate hommage to the german B Uhren of WWII...

This watch has a 43mm wide sandblasted case...

...but there are also two more "dressy" versions, one in red gold and titanium...

...and other in silver...

All of them have domed plexi...

...and are powered by a modified Unitas 6497 with central seconds and a swan-neck regulator...

The balance bridge is hand-engraved...

...and the back can be opened to show the movement...

Let's look closer...

The strap is an aviator one, hand-made in Spain..

The watch comes with four dials, one mounted, and the others as replacement...

...and two set of hands, one for the doubled ring dial and the others for the single.

Also a diamond and an onion crowns come with the watch, one mounted and the other as replacement...

A beautiful watch and full of possibilities of customization with the spares supplied.

More info: http://www.centrorelojero.com/modelo.php?id=8

Regards

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Fantastic watch! But to be blunt:
He tried to be the most correct. He did not manage to get there.
He got it, I would say, about 90% visually correct!
I will not, unless asked by the poster, go more into the faults.
Silver tarnishes quickly.

Nice movement.

Interesting Idea about the replacable dials, hands and crowns. Quite original in this price bracket!

A great mini-review, even greater photos.
Please do not get too angry about my criticism, wear it and enjoy it!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nice movement.
Why on earth did he put the German Eagle with the Swastica and "Berlin" on the caseback?? Goddam tasteless!
It has nothing to do there, absolutely nothing! I see that as a nasty way to "cash in".
And Berlin was the place with the least support for Adolf before the war.
The case back with the eagle that you can see in the photos are from an authetic B Uhr in the book of Konrad Knirin about german military watches which is used under the watch as atrezzo for the pic. The back of this watch is markless...

And the siver is rhodied to prevent rust...:-!

Thanks for your opinions...Plese tell me what's wrong with this watch. I think is far more accurate than Stowa FO, for example, it has a three piece case and very similar to the original.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think it's perfect, accurately reflects the characteristics of the B-Uhr of the WWII, the price looks very good to me compared to other similar models that are on the market.
I think it offers much, different dials, hands and crowns.
The case and the back are perfect and I feel exactly the same as 60 years ago.
At 10 for the Master Pedro Izquierdo.​

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
All Clear and Corrected/Edited !!

Rhodium plating is crap. Why use silver if you hide it?
OK if you have an allergy to the Nickel a lot of cheap silver alloys contain, but here?
The other case, is it Gold or Titanium?

I am not critisizing the choice of metals or the hunter caseback. A great idea to show the movement. :-! Not authentic, but nice.

Not sure what you mean with a 3 piece case. You mean bezel, case and caseback? All metal should be more Matt.

Mainly it is the Dials, both of them. The most eye catching difference is that all the markers and numbers are too thickly printed.
Same with the circles.
Second hand is wrong. Too thick . And the "other end" of it should be black, short and square. With a little hole.
The Hour and Minute hands are too "top heavy"
Numbers 5, 15, 25, 35, 45, and 55 should not be lumed on the "B" dial.
Wrong Font compared to all 5 makers.
I am not sure which B-uhr he wants to re-create. It looks like a "composite" of them all.
The "B" dial is wrong for Stowa, Laco, Lange.
The "A" dial is wrong for Lange, Wempe. I cannot find good pic for the other manufacturers.

The diamond crown on the first pic is also not correct, too sharp edges. It is a "stock" hand. It should look more like a cross between the diamond and the onion crown, more rounded.

Now, you might think and feel I am too anal, and nitpicking!
Yes I am. Absolutely. 100% !
But if you make a watch and say you want to make the most accurate hommage....
And charge 2500-3000 Euro....
Then he must be open for criticism, right?

The Swastika on a B-uhr caseback? That is unusual, maybe a "gift" B-uhr?
Unfortunately, I am not so lucky to have that book. I wish....

The maker forgot the " FL 23883" mark on the side of the case.
And the "H" serial number on the caseback.

The Crystal is too domed if he wants to replicate a Laco.

And to be really anal, the strap has a wrong, too prominent stitching, wrong end on the free end, and too large studs.

You have "The Book".
I suggest you look for yourself, and compare the watch against the photos of the B-uhrs.

You know, it is incredibly difficult to retro design a watch in a shrunken version.

I am sure you have read the WUS LE project threads.
Not even that watch is 100%.

I think you should enjoy your beautiful watch, with some unike features and a very nice movement!!!b-)

Janne

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
All Clear and Corrected/Edited !!

Rhodium plating is crap. Why use silver if you hide it?
OK if you have an allergy to the Nickel a lot of cheap silver alloys contain, but here?
The other case, is it Gold or Titanium?

I am not critisizing the choice of metals or the hunter caseback. A great idea to show the movement. :-! Not authentic, but nice.

Not sure what you mean with a 3 piece case. You mean bezel, case and caseback? All metal should be more Matt.

Mainly it is the Dials, both of them. The most eye catching difference is that all the markers and numbers are too thickly printed.
Same with the circles.
Second hand is wrong. Too thick . And the "other end" of it should be black, short and square. With a little hole.
The Hour and Minute hands are too "top heavy"
Numbers 5, 15, 25, 35, 45, and 55 should not be lumed on the "B" dial.
Wrong Font compared to all 5 makers.
I am not sure which B-uhr he wants to re-create. It looks like a "composite" of them all.
The "B" dial is wrong for Stowa, Laco, Lange.
The "A" dial is wrong for Lange, Wempe. I cannot find good pic for the other manufacturers.

The diamond crown on the first pic is also not correct, too sharp edges. It is a "stock" hand. It should look more like a cross between the diamond and the onion crown, more rounded.

Now, you might think and feel I am too anal, and nitpicking!
Yes I am. Absolutely. 100% !
But if you make a watch and say you want to make the most accurate hommage....
And charge 2500-3000 Euro....
Then he must be open for criticism, right?

The Swastika on a B-uhr caseback? That is unusual, maybe a "gift" B-uhr?
Unfortunately, I am not so lucky to have that book. I wish....

The maker forgot the " FL 23883" mark on the side of the case.
And the "H" serial number on the caseback.

The Crystal is too domed if he wants to replicate a Laco.

And to be really anal, the strap has a wrong, too prominent stitching, wrong end on the free end, and too large studs.

You have "The Book".
I suggest you look for yourself, and compare the watch against the photos of the B-uhrs.

You know, it is incredibly difficult to retro design a watch in a shrunken version.

I am sure you have read the WUS LE project threads.
Not even that watch is 100%.

I think you should enjoy your beautiful watch, with some unike features and a very nice movement!!!b-)

Janne
Well, I don't have to look at the book, I have this watch as well...;-):-d:):)

This watch, as you say is an hommage to all B Uhren, not one in particular, and using gold and titaniumm ( The bezel is rose gold, as the crown, and the case and back is titanium ) and silver is for some people who like precious metals in watches of this price, despite its accuracy. I like it, you have eight watches in one ( Changing dials, hands and crowns ), and i think it's more accurate than other hommages...

The B Uhren with the eagle in the back was made of silver, made for long distance flights...

Thank you for your appraisals.:-!

Regards

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't know about the watch but the photos are incredible!!! The lighting, the depth of field, the composition... If you aren't a pro photographer, you should be!!!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Were the B-uhrs also used in Spanish military during WWII or this is simply a Spanish manufacturer building a hommage piece? Thanks!

I like all the parts and replacements but it may become too gimmicky. For the price I would also add a little more Euros and get the original 1940's Buhr without the precious metal.

Great pictures and congrats on the watch!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Were the B-uhrs also used in Spanish military during WWII or this is simply a Spanish manufacturer building a hommage piece? Thanks!

I like all the parts and replacements but it may become too gimmicky. For the price I would also add a little more Euros and get the original 1940's Buhr without the precious metal.

Great pictures and congrats on the watch!
It's an hommage from a spanish manufacturer...Possibly early B Uhren were used by the Legión Cóndor during the Spanish Civil War ( Spain was neutral during WWII ). Buying an original B Uhr is OK, but in what shape..?.The most of them need repair...Where do you find replacements...?. Do you usually wear a 55mm watch ?. I own a 55mm Laco Special Ed., with 80% original pieces, only 75 were made, and it costs 6000 euros...A lot of euros to add, I think...;-):):)

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Vegaban!

Here is the "Grossmutter":
Born 1941-42, unrestored. Runs well. 100% original, including the strap.
If you compare the Spanish one and this one, you can see what I mean.
This one gets worn occasionaly, always attracts comments!
Soon back to Laco for a clean, lube and regulation of the movement!

·
Registered
68 Posts
i'm really glad this thread was posted. the watches and photos are amazing!! big thanks to u! :-!

S

·
0 Posts
The case back with the eagle that you can see in the photos are from an authetic B Uhr in the book of Konrad Knirin about german military watches which is used under the watch as atrezzo for the pic. The back of this watch is markless...

And the siver is rhodied to prevent rust...:-!

Thanks for your opinions...Plese tell me what's wrong with this watch. I think is far more accurate than Stowa FO, for example, it has a three piece case and very similar to the original.
Far more accurate with a hunter case?? It is a nice gmmick but as far as I know the hunter case is far away from being similar to any B-watch of 1940.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts