WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is the day of the G-Lide 5600s in the forum. After the beautiful In4mation Special Edtion of Jnaga48 in Hawaii, another one appears today.

Once again our friend Seiya-san has delivered. My new G-Lide GLX5600-1JF arrived today in excellent condition and just four days after he posted it in Tokyo. Should I say I'm happy, my friends?

So I want to share with all of you my first impressions.

This one is a smart and cool G-Shock. The resin is glossy as in the Rastafarian '08 DW5600, but this time its color is pure jet black. It makes the watch, in my opinion, sporty and distinguished.

The very first thing that I noticed is how Casio divided the display in two parts. The moon and tide graph area of this 5600 is a pure and shiny mirror. Yes, that's right, just as in the Ocean Gray DW5025. I wasn't expecting this, because you couldn't see it in the marketing images and photos previously released, but I think it is one of the coolest features of this new G-Lide.

I was very excited about this model because its module, 3151 is the new number, was brand new, especially created for this new incarnation of the 5600 lineage. All in all I like it. But I just can't understand why Casio module designers and programmers are still oblivious to the fact that the city of Caracas, capital of Venezuela, has changed time zone since last December.

So Casio included Caracas (CCS) but with the old, and no longer used, -4 UTC, when now CCS is -4.30 UTC. This a serious error on Casio's part. I understood it when they released the GWM5600, because the module was previously used by the GW5500, which was released when Caracas was still -4 UTC. But in this new module that's not acceptable.

As for functions, the new G-Lide has home timekeeping, Tide Mode, World Time, 24 hours chrono (with target start), 24 hours timer (with auto-repeat), and 3 alarms (1 snooze, and 2 with date and month target). It has Auto EL too. The LCD is satin and very legible.

So now I have a new watch ready for the beaches of Sea of Cortez in Sonora. b-)

The GLX5600 is a nice addition to this 25th anniversary releases. If you're on the fence, don't doubt any more. Go for it. It will be very soon available anywhere. It's not special nor limited. In black, red, and white, and the special turquoise In4mation. Pick your choice.

:)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Nice Vintage:-!

I like how they managed to fit the tide and moon graph in a 5600 body. I wanted a Gulfman but I like this as its much smaller.

Matt

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
But I just can't understand why Casio module designers and programmers are still oblivious to the fact that the city of Caracas, capital of Venezuela, has changed time zone since last December.
Well, if Venezuela's gonna moving whole cities about the map willie-nillie, I'd think they'd have it coming! :-d:-d:-d

Seriously though, very nice G!:-! Your pic.s pushed me over the edge. This will be my next G. :)

Kev

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
very nice watch and it's the 5600 body but does it have thermometer like the fisherman dw-8600.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Congratulations My Friend!Very pleased just wondered if You are able to configure tide data for your local area?Lovely pictures as well.Wear it in very good health.:-!.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Couldn't wait to get mine so I checked the manual online. I like that fact that the alarms are multifunctional! They can be set for a specific date or day of month! :-!

Kev

·
Registered
503 Posts
Verry nice purchase! And I like how right from the start, Casio has different colors you can choose from. Hopefully this multi-color route will be big for Casio so they keep doing it for different releases.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@ Mattchrono,

Thanks, Matt! :thanks

Yes, in my opinion the moon/tide graph is in a better position to visualize it. It doesn't cut through the date time.

@ Perfectlykevin,

Many thanks, Kev

That's the historical problem we Latinamericans have. We just can't be still. Too much salsa dancing. :-d

@ Ron281969,

Thanks, Ron.

Sadly it doesn't have a thermometer. That means I'll have to wear the new Riseman on the other wrist at the same time. I'm ready for such a sacrifice. :-d

@ Mansrow,

Thanks, Mansrow guy.

It's very cool, bro. The exact same size of the GWM5600. They use the same bezel, so the strap is the same as the DW5600. :-!

@ Evertonian61,

Many thanks, Mannu. :thanks

I was preoccupied too, because I don't live in a world-known place. But I followed Wikipedia:

"The approximate lunitidal interval can be calculated if the moon rise, moon set and high tide timings are known. These timings can be obtained if the coordinates for your region are known. First you will have to calculate the moon up time of your area . This is the mid-point time between the moon rise and the moon set. This will be the time when the moon is directly above the meridian. The lunitidal interval is the difference between the moon up time and the next high tide".

So with that input I set the moon/tide graph. :-!

@ Perfectlykevin,

Yes, 2 multi alarms and 1 snooze. :-!

@ Locomoco,

Thanks, man! :thanks

Nice colors indeed.

As an aside, if anyone wants to get a white to dye it, I would not recommend it, because of the glossy finish of the resin.

To dye without problems, you would need one of the Glorious Gold GWM5600 bezels and straps. If you want matt black, a regular GWM5600 bezel and a DW5600 strap would do.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Nice watch Vintage ! That's a really interesting looking tidegraph. I'm fascinated with this function and got a Gulfman on order but I'm hoping to get one of these as well later.... Nice catch! :-!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Very cool Vintage! Defintely the next G to get :-!

Does the TOD show in any of the modes?

Great pics btw, thanks for sharing! :thanks

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Cool catch indeed... I'm just not a big fan of "shiny black" color... kinda wish it's just plain black... come to think of it it's not a atomic / solar either...

Coll non the less... enoy and wear it in good health mate! :-!

Question: is time visible in stopwatch and timer mode?

·
7,501 Posts
Nice Catch Vintage!!! Is it just me, or has Casio been doing an awesome job with their packaging lately? The Leatherette box, the pillow.....and of course...the product :-!

That may be project number 2 if I could hunt down just the replacement Bezel/band

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Thanks Vintage. Again, this is a must-buy watch.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
vintage, that is lovely, it has two features I love, moonphase and tidegraph, I did not think I would like the gloss finish but your photo's show it to much better effect, I really like this watch! Well done and enjoy it.
One other thing, it may be just a trick of the light, but is the finish ever-so lightly metallic?
Wear it in great health mate!
:-!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
You dirty dog!!! Now you make me want one as well. :) It's a very nice watch. Might have to see what my finances are like after I get a new Riseman. That's the number 1 on my wanted list at the moment.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Many thanks again, guys. I think this is going to be another interesting G-Shock 5600 model. :thanks

@ Artistmike,

Thanks, Mike!

I'm trying to find my G9100 to take somo comparo pics, but I can't find it. :-(

@ Gordon,

Thanks, mate.

Good question, and a limitation: No current time visible in any mode. You see:

Tide: Current date
World Time: The time zone you're seeing date
Stopwatch: 10/100 seconds
Timer: A mode graphic (arrow for normal, oval for auto-repeat)
Alarm: Target date and/or month to set the alarms

@ Duke,

Thanks, Duke!

No time visible in any mode, as I said.

@ Doug,

Gracias, amigo. :thanks

Very nice box indeed.

Let me tell you that this kind of box is common in Japan bought models.

@ Pindu,

Thanks, Pindu. Wristshot coming.

@ Wah,

Indeed, Wah. It's an important version of the 5600 saga. :-!

@ Ian,

Thanks as always, my dear friend. Let me tell you that the finish is not as glossy as my it appears in my pics. :-d

No metallic finish at all. It must be the photographer skills. :-d

1 - 20 of 44 Posts