WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A package arrived at my post office via Express Mail today, less than a week after it left Mumbai. I know a lot of you like pictures of the entire process of opening something new, so here we go...

This is the package shortly after I arrived home from the post office. The big white tag attached to it is a customs form.

I was told it had been wrapped in cloth, but what I didn't know was that it was literally sewn into a cloth covering! I thought about it and realized it was actually a smart move, both to keep the box from ripping open and to deter theft. Here's a shot of the stitching that closed the cover.

This shows the India Post and USPS tags. It was a very smooth process - it spent only about 24 hours in customs.

After some cutting and unsewing...

...I was finally able to remove the outer cover.

Now we open the box and have a look inside.

In the middle of all that packing was a bubble-wrapped item

We take the bubble wrap off, and the new black Pilot is revealed!

It was tilted a little on its holder, so after removing the cover I straightened it up for a shot

A couple of quick shots each of the front and back

I began to wind it and the second hand started up after about 3 turns. I set it to the correct time, and prepared to put it on for the first time.

And now for the obligatory wrist shots

Sorry about the glare in some of the pictures -- I tried shooting photos from several different angles and lighting, and these were the best of the lot.

I want to thank Crazyfingers for his hard work and determination to get this shipped to me. I'm still amazed it took only 5 days to get here! It will have a prized spot in my collection as the first watch to go into my new watch box.

Mike

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
A big congrats and its very nice to see this watch out of your wish list finally ;-)
Cool pics and it looks great on the wrist :-!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Congrats MJB! I am glad you got it at last, thanks to CF. I was feeling bad I was unable to locate another one for you, I am happy now.:)

·
Affordables Moderator
17,577 Posts
Congratulations! :-!

My black Pilot is one of my favorites, I think I may go and put it on for the day :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hi Mike,
Congratulations................................:-!:-!:-!:-!:-d:-d:-d

I thought I shall be first person to greet you once you post the pics, but anyways, I think you are as excited as I was on receiving my first HMT pilot (of course that was not my life's first HMT) .
I think the happiness this humble inexpensive watch gives, no money can buy that Happiness,
" That's Why I Love HMT watches
"

Hoping this is just a start to your HMT journey
With Wishes
Akshay

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mike, thanks for the pics. Do let us know on accuracy test.
The watch has been running for 24 hours and I had it on it all day today. It's currently at +1 to +2 seconds for the day. :-! I'll keep watching it for the next few days to see if this changes significantly.

What is the typical accuracy for HMT watches?

Mike

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
My first post on Afordables! (I think)
A big congrats, you have now a MilPil Classic!
My HMTs run approx +- 25 sec a day, which I think is all OK.

·
Registered
812 Posts
The watch has been running for 24 hours and I had it on it all day today. It's currently at +1 to +2 seconds for the day. :-! I'll keep watching it for the next few days to see if this changes significantly.

What is the typical accuracy for HMT watches?

Mike
That is very good accuracy. Beats COSC and only costs 15 bucks. ;-)

All mine give me around +/- 10 sec a day. I should run another round of testing now that I have worn them couple of times.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Intrigued by the accuracy measurements posted above. How does one go about doing these measurements in a non hacking watch?

Thanks!
Hari
the way I do it is set the minute hand precisely at the time when seconds hand passes at 12 position. I keep open atomic clock site on my computer to sync time. Its not as convenient as having hacking movement but after couple tries, you get very close to being accurate. :think:

·
Registered
591 Posts
My first post on Afordables! (I think)
A big congrats, you have now a MilPil Classic!
My HMTs run approx +- 25 sec a day, which I think is all OK.
Hi Janne,
My HMT Guru.:) Nice to hear from you after long time. Just Hope I shall hear from you regularly. |>

With Regards
AkshayB

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the way I do it is set the minute hand precisely at the time when seconds hand passes at 12 position. I keep open atomic clock site on my computer to sync time. Its not as convenient as having hacking movement but after couple tries, you get very close to being accurate. :think:
That's pretty much the same way I do it.

By the way, my Pilot is running +5 today. I wonder how much more it will change before it settles down into a consistent rate?

Mike

1 - 20 of 25 Posts