WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: My new HMT Pilot watch from India

any opinions on the HMT braille watch, other than that it has a cool strap.

also, do u know if hmt sells watch winders?

thanks

·
Registered
812 Posts

any opinions on the HMT braille watch, other than that it has a cool strap.

also, do u know if hmt sells watch winders?

thanks
Braille watch has same movement, just different glass.

No, HMT does not produce watch winders.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts

Thanks. Do u know of any good watch winder makers in india?
Nobody makes watch winders in India.

I have not visited the HMT store for the past three months as I was otherwise busy. Lost their phone number too. I will visit them in person soon and post an update for all the queries asked here. The store is in the opposite corner of the city from where I live, so I need to set aside some time for it.

·
Registered
162 Posts

I joined recently and i am a big fan of hmt watches,especially their mechanical line-up of classic looking watches .I have a Sathi ,Janata ,Sona and Rajat . The Sathi(Hindi for Partner)is same in design as the Janata/Jawan/Tarun/Pilot models. I can vouch for the reliability and ruggedness of this particular watch as it has been a faithful partner of mine since last 16 years and has sustained 2 motorcycle crashes with me,and god knows how many knocks at gym .So it has literally taken a beating and kept on ticking.
It really is a pity that due to various reasons such a good and classical looking line of watches are struggling for good sales numbers,maybe not many have any sense of aesthetics left after being bombarded by the marketing team of titan watches.
Any way the reason i am here ,in this thread is that,i got infatuated with the white dialled pilot i saw here and trust me i went to the factory outlets here in bangalore looking for the same .But i found out that only black dialled ones are available and i searched at the local watch dealers for the same, but in vain .The person at the hmt factory outlet was a typical government employee i guess.He told me flatly that no white dialled pilot watch has ever been made and nor will it be made in any foreseeable future.The guys at the other outlet in Unity building were a helpful lot and they told me that Janata and pilot watches are made at their factory situated in Ranibagh,but only their outlet at hmt factory(here in Bangalore) gets pilot watches .
I will be grateful, if anyone here can be kind enough to guide me, as to where i can get a white dialled (newly being made ) pilot watch in Bangalore .

·
Registered
2,119 Posts

Well, I've read the whole very interesting thread - but lost the plot a bit towards the end...

I just love the clean, retro design of this Janata - and the red second hand is a master stroke! Got this pic from the HMT website. Does anyone know the case material/size/lug width and how I could get hold of one (or two) of these?? Any info appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
812 Posts

I can vouch for the reliability and ruggedness of this particular watch as it has been a faithful partner of mine since last 16 years and has sustained 2 motorcycle crashes with me,and god knows how many knocks at gym .So it has literally taken a beating and kept on ticking.
I agree entirely. I have witnessed these watches being abused over years and still run and run.

Any way the reason i am here ,in this thread is that,i got infatuated with the white dialled pilot i saw here and trust me i went to the factory outlets here in bangalore looking for the same .But i found out that only black dialled ones are available and i searched at the local watch dealers for the same, but in vain .The person at the hmt factory outlet was a typical government employee i guess.He told me flatly that no white dialled pilot watch has ever been made and nor will it be made in any foreseeable future.The guys at the other outlet in Unity building were a helpful lot and they told me that Janata and pilot watches are made at their factory situated in Ranibagh,but only their outlet at hmt factory(here in Bangalore) gets pilot watches.
The authorised distributor I spoke to hadn't seen this white pilot before and he was under impression that someone modified Sona which has similar pattern on dial. He checked with their Bangalore head office and had no response.

Does anyone know the case material/size/lug width and how I could get hold of one (or two) of these?? Any info appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I couldn't get my hand on that one but I managed to get this one. Will let you know when I have it in my hand in two weeks time. The case material is Stainless Steel. Not sure if it is 316L, though. I would think, not.

·
Registered
162 Posts

I wouldn't blame your dealer either ,because from what iv'e heard, the sales people at hmt's Bangalore (factory) are not at all a helpful lot . The watch(white dialled pilot) is being made for sure and if you can see from the pictures in the thread the dial is similar to that of Tarun except the numbers 12,3,6 and 9 are in metal and that's what made me take interest in this particular version of the hmt Pilot.It seems to be available in Chennai unit .The modification i am sure has been made by hmt's Ranibagh unit.What i could make out from the response of the factory outlet at Unity building ,is that they place orders for the watches based on how quickly they move off the counter.So my guess is that ,the white dialled pilot never made it to Bangalore ,as they don't place orders till the current lot is sold off, and by that time the Ranibagh unit might have gone back to making black dialled Pilots.I sure hope i can find one though.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts

Well, I've read the whole very interesting thread - but lost the plot a bit towards the end...

I just love the clean, retro design of this Janata - and the red second hand is a master stroke! Got this pic from the HMT website. Does anyone know the case material/size/lug width and how I could get hold of one (or two) of these?? Any info appreciated. Thanks in advance!

That Janata model has been discontinued. A pic of the current Janata is posted elsewhere in this forum.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts

I wouldn't blame your dealer either ,because from what iv'e heard, the sales people at hmt's Bangalore (factory) are not at all a helpful lot . The watch(white dialled pilot) is being made for sure and if you can see from the pictures in the thread the dial is similar to that of Tarun except the numbers 12,3,6 and 9 are in metal and that's what made me take interest in this particular version of the hmt Pilot.It seems to be available in Chennai unit .The modification i am sure has been made by hmt's Ranibagh unit.What i could make out from the response of the factory outlet at Unity building ,is that they place orders for the watches based on how quickly they move off the counter.So my guess is that ,the white dialled pilot never made it to Bangalore ,as they don't place orders till the current lot is sold off, and by that time the Ranibagh unit might have gone back to making black dialled Pilots.I sure hope i can find one though.
The white Pilot is based on the Sona dial. It is available only in their Chennai store. The black Pilot is now being made only by their Jammu unit, and is available only at the HMT Chinar outlet in Bangalore.

·
Registered
162 Posts

The white Pilot is based on the Sona dial. It is available only in their Chennai store. The black Pilot is now being made only by their Jammu unit, and is available only at the HMT Chinar outlet in Bangalore.
Thanks Gansan.I am based in Bangalore and ,i would be very grateful to you ,if you could help me procure one from Chennai .The white dialled version of pilot is a beautiful watch and i don't know how long it will be in production. Let me know if its possible and as to how it could be done.
Cheers
Anand184

·
Registered
27 Posts

BODY { FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma; FONT-SIZE:10pt } P { FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma; FONT-SIZE:10pt } DIV { FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma; FONT-SIZE:10pt } TD { FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma; FONT-SIZE:10pt } Warm greetings to all- i am Jai from Chennai, India. I chanced upon this forum while searching for HMT watches -the Pilot in particular. I was really surprised when I saw that the Pilot thread had recent activity and was also glad to see that there were so many people interested in HMT watches. I followed the threads and wanted to find out the location of the HMT showroom in Chennai. I eagerly sent out mails to Gansan and Perumal. By the time I reached home, I received replies from Gansan and Perumal. I spoke to Gansan and he gave me the directions to the HMT Chennai showroom.The next day I went there and bought two watches from there - a Janata and a Sona. The Janata looks very much different from the picture displayed in the site. It is a simple and elegant piece. The Sona is also a cool watch and have received compliments for it.
I spoke to the person at the showroom and he informed me that they were not expecting new consignments of Pilots any time soon. He asked me to contact the people at marketing office or the Banglore office.I told him that there were a lot of people who wanted to own the Pilot - he just gave me a smile and asked me to convey the news to the Marketing office.

I am really thrilled about owning the Janta and the Sona and convey my warmest thanks to Mr.Gansan and Mr.Perumal for the information they provided

Cheers.
Jai

·
Registered
1,370 Posts

I am really thrilled about owning the Janta and the Sona and convey my warmest thanks to Mr.Gansan and Mr.Perumal for the information they provided

Cheers.
Jai
Welcome to the forum Jai! Glad that you found the showroom and bought a couple of nice watches. The white Pilot is actually based on the dial of the Sona you have purchased.

So the Pilots are not expected a the showroom now. No point in me going there this weekend!

·
Registered
812 Posts

can somebody tell me where these White Pilots are made? I am loosing patience and intend to call factory directly. These dealers/distributors don't have much information and marketing office won't respond to my e-mail.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.